In the paper the influence of both bearing surfaces roughness and porosity of one bearing surface on the pressure distribution and load-carrying capacity of a thrust bearing surfaces is discussed. The equations of motion of a pseudo-plastic fluid of Rotem-Shinnar, are used to derive the Reynolds equation. After general considerations on the flow in a bearing clearance and in a porous layer using the Morgan-Cameron approximation and Christensen theory of hydrodynamic lubrication the modified Reynolds equation is obtained. The analytical solutions of this equation for the cases of squeeze film bearing and externally pressurized bearing are presented. As a result one obtains the formulae expressing pressure distribution and load-carrying capacity. Thrust radial bearing with squeezed film is considered as a numerical example.
1. Bujurke N.M., Kudenatti R.B., Awati V.B. (2007), Effect of surface roughness on squeeze film poroelastic bearings with special reference to synovial joints, Mathematical Biosciences, 209, 76-89.
2. Christensen H. (1970), Stochastic model for hydrodynamic lubrication of rough surfaces, Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs, 184, No. 1, 1013-1022.
3. Christensen H., Tønder K. (1971), The hydrodynamic lubrication of rough bearing surfaces of finite width, ASME, J. Lubric. Technol., 93(2), 324-330.
4. Christensen H., Tønder K. (1973), The hydrodynamic lubrication of rough journal bearings, ASME, J. Lubric. Technol., 95(1), 166-172.
5. Dorier C., Tichy J. (1992), Behaviour of a Bingham-like viscous fluid in lubrication flows, J. Non-Newt. Fluid Mech., 45(3), 291-350.
6. Gururajan K., Prakash J. (1999), Surface roughness effects in infinitely long porous journal bearing, Journal of Tribology, Trans. ASME, 121(1), 139-147.
7. Khonsari M.M., Dai F. (1992), On the mixture flow problem in lubrication of hydrodynamic bearing: small solid volume fraction, STLE Trib. Trans., 35(1), 45-52.
8. Lin J.-R. (2000), Surfaces roughness effect on the dynamic stiffness and damping characteristics of compensated hydrostatic thrust bearings, Int. J. Machine Tools Manufact., 40, 1671-1689.
9. Lin J.-R. (2001), The effect of couple stresses in the squeeze film behavior between isotropic rough rectangular plates, Int. J. Appl. Mech. Eng., 6(4), 1007-1024.
10. Lipscomb C.C., Denn M.M. (1984), Flow of Bingham fluids in complex geometries, J. Non-Newt. Fluid Mech., 14(3), 337-349.
11. Morgan V.T., Cameron A. (1957), Mechanismus of lubrication in porous metal bearings, Proc. Conf. on Lubrication and Wear, Inst. Mech. Eng., 151-157, London.
12. Prakash J., Tiwari K. (1984), An analysis of the squeeze film between rough porous rectangular plates with arbitrary porous wall thickness, Journal of Tribology, Trans. ASME, 106(2), 218-222.
13. Prakash J., Tiwari K. (1985), Effects of surface roughness on the squeeze film between rectangular porous annular disc with arbitrary porous wall thickness, Int. J. Mech. Sci., 27(3), 135-144.
14. Rajalingam C., Rao B.V.A., Prabu S. (1978), The effect of a non-Newtonian lubricant on piston ring lubrication, Wear, 50, 47-57.
15. Rotem Z., Shinnar R. (1961), Non-Newtonian flow between parallel boundaries in linear movements, Chem. Eng. Sie., 15, 130-143.
16. Swamy S.T.N., Prabhu B.S., Rao B.V.A. (1975), Stiffness and damping characteristics of finite width journal bearing with a non-Newtonian film and their application to instability prediction, Wear, 32, 379-390.
17. Wada S., Hayashi H. (1971), Hydrodynamic lubrication of journal bearings by pseudo-plastic lubricants, Pt 1, Theoretical studies, Pt 2, Experimental studies, Bull. JSME, 14(69), 268-286.
18. Walicka A. (1989), Accurate and Asymptotic Solution of Simplified Sets of Equations Describing the Motion of Viscous Fluids in a Slot Bounded by Two Co-axial Surfaces of Revolution (in Polish), PWN, Warszawa.
19. Walicka A. (1994), Micropolar flow in a Slot Between Rotating Surfaces of Revolution, TU Press, Zielona Gora.
20. Walicka A. (2002), Rotational Flows of Rheologically Complex Fluids in Thin Channels (in Russian), University Press, Zielona Gora.
21. Walicka A. (2009), Surface roughness effects in a curvilinear squeeze film bearing lubricated by a power-law fluid, Int. J. Appl. Mech. Engng, 14(1), 277-293.
22. Walicka A. (2012), Porous curvilinear squeeze film bearing with rough surfaces lubricated by a power-law fluid, Journal of Porous Media, 15(1), 29-49.
23. Walicka A., Walicki E. (2002a), Surface roughness effect on the pressure distribution in curvilinear thrust bearings, Exploitation Problems of Machines, 131(3), 157-167.
24. Walicka A., Walicki E. (2002b), Couple stress and surface roughness effects in curvilinear thrust bearings, Int. J. Appl. Mech. Engng, Vol. 7, Spec. Issue: SITC, 109-117.
25. Walicki E. (1975), Viscous fluid flow in a slot of the curvilinear thrust bearing, Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn. - Mech. Appl., 20(4), 483-493.