Apart from influencing the quality of life, occupational injuries and illnesses can pose a large economic burden to a society. There are many studies that estimate the costs of occupational injuries and illnesses in highly developed economies, but the evidence for other countries is scarce. This study aimed to estimate the financial costs of occupational injuries and illnesses to Croatian government and employers in 2015. Workers were excluded due to the lack of data. Costs were estimated by analysing available data sources on occupational health and safety. Financial costs were grouped in several categories: medical costs, productivity losses, disability pensions, compensation for physical impairment, administrative costs, and legal costs. Unlike in other studies, the costs of compliance with occupational safety and health regulations were also investigated. In 2015, financial costs to employers were twice higher than costs to the government (HRK 604.6 m vs HRK 297 m). Employers additionally covered around HRK 300 m of compliance costs. Taking into account that financial costs of occupational injuries and illnesses are significant, even without including the costs to workers, policy makers should put additional efforts into their prevention. A prerequisite is transparency in Croatian Health Insurance Fund’s expenditures, as well as more detailed data on lost days from work by industries, causes of injury etc. Organisations in charge of occupational health and safety and policy makers should observe relevant statistics in monetary terms too.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. International Labour Office. Estimating the economic costs of occupational injuries and illnesses in developing countries: Essential information for decision-makers. Geneva: ILO; 2012 [displayed 26 Jul 2016]. Available at http://www.ilo.org/safework/info/publications/WCMS_207690/lang--en/index.htm
2. Leigh JP. Economic burden of occupational injury and illness in the United States. Milbank Q 2011;89:728-72. doi:
3. European Agency for Safety and Health at Work. Estimating the cost of accidents and ill-health at work: A review of methodologies. Bilbao: EU-OSHA; 2014 [displayed 26 Jul 2016]. Available at https://osha.europa.eu/en/publications/reports/estimating-the-costs-of-accidents-and-ill-health-atwork/view
4. Health and Safety Executive. Costs to Britain of workplace fatalities and self-reported injuries and ill health, 2013/14. London: HSE; 2015 [displayed 6 Jul 2016]. Available at http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/pdf/cost-to-britain.pdf
5. Eurostat. European Commission: Health and safety at work [dataset] [displayed 20 Dec 2016]. Available at http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/health/health-safety-work/data/database
6. Croatian Institute for Health Protection and Safety at Work. Analiza ozljeda na radu 2015 [Analysis of work injuries in 2015, in Croatian]. Zagreb: CIHPSW; 2016 [displayed 27 Jul 2016]. Available from: http://www.hzzzsr.hr/images/documents/ozljede%20na%20radu/Analiza%20ozljeda%20na%20radu/Analiza_ONR_2014/ANALIZA_ONR_2015.pdf
7. Croatian Institute for Health Protection and Safety at Work. Registar profesionalnih bolesti za 2015 [Occupational Illnesses Registry in 2015, in Croatian]. Zagreb: CIHPSW; 2016 [displayed 27 Jul 2016]. Available from: http://www.hzzzsr.hr/images/documents/Godi%C5%A1nje%20izvje%C5%A1%C4%87e/1Registar_profesionalnih_bolesti_2015.godinu.pdf
8. Vojak N, Plazonić H, Taradi J. Troškovi zbog ozljeda na radu i profesionalnih bolesti u Hrvatskoj u odnosu na bruto domaći proizvod kao ekonomski pokazatelj uspješnosti organizacije sustava sigurnosti na radu [The costs of workplace injuries and occupational diseases in relation to gross domestic product as an economic indicator of effectiveness in organizing the occupational safety systems in Croatia, in Croatian]. In: Taradi J, Filipović AM, editors. Organiziranje i sigurnost: zbornik radova VI. znanstveno-stručne konferencije s međunarodnim sudjelovanjem “Menadžment i sigurnost”. Čakovec: Hrvatsko društvo inženjera sigurnosti; 2011. p. 157-69.
9. Lebeau M, Duguay P. The Costs of Occupational Injuries: A Review of the Literature. Studies and Research Projects, Report No. R-787. Montréal: IRSST; 2013.
10. Safe Work Australia. The Cost of Work-related Injury and Illness for Australian Employers, Workers and the Community: 2012-13. Canberra: Safe Work Australia; 2015 [displayed 25 Jul 2016]. Available at http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sites/SWA/about/Publications/Documents/940/cost-of-work-related-injury-anddisease-2012-13.docx.pdf
11. Loke YY, Tan WJ, Manickam K, Heng P, Tjong C, Lim GK, Lim S, Gan SL, Takkala J. Economic Cost of Work-related Injuries and Ill-health in Singapore. Singapore: Workplace Safety and Health Institute; 2013 [displayed 14 Dec 2016]. Available at https://www.wsh-institute.sg/files/wshi/upload/cms/file/Economic%20Cost%20of%20Work-related%20Injuries%20and%20Ill-health%20in%20Singapore.pdf
12. Lebeau M, Duguay P, Boucher A. Costs of occupational injuries and diseases in Québec. J Safety Res. 2014;50:89-98. doi:
16. Croatian Health Insurance Fund. Izvješće o poslovanju Hrvatskog zavoda za zdravstveno osiguranje za 2015. godinu [Report on Croatian Health Insurance Fund performance in 2015, in Croatian]. Zagreb: CHIF; 2016 [displayed 4 Aug 2016]. Available at http://www.hzzo.hr/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Izvjesce_o_poslovanju_hzzo_za_2015_godinu.pdf?6d8ad4
17. Croatian Pension Insurance Institute [dataset]. Zagreb: CPII. 2016 [displayed 4 Aug 2016]. Available upon an Access to Information Request at http://www.mirovinsko.hr/default.aspx?id=166
18. Croatian Institute for Health Protection and Safety at Work. Godišnje izvješće za 2015. godinu [Annual report for 2015, in Croatian]. Zagreb: CIHPSW; 2016 [displayed 4 Aug 2016]. Available at http://hzzzsr.hr/images/documents/Godi%C5%A1nje%20izvje%C5%A1%C4%87e/Izvje%C5%A1%C4%87e-HZZZSR-2015.pdf
19. Institute for the Advancement of Safety at Work. Evidencije ovlaštenja [Authorization records, in Croatian]. Zagreb: IASW; 2016 [displayed 4 Aug 2016]. Available at http://zuznr.hr/znr/ovlastenja/
20. Poslovna Hrvatska [dataset]. Zagreb: P.H; 2016 [displayed 4 Aug 2016]. Available at http://nova.poslovna.hr/lite/info/tour.aspx
21. Ministry of Finance. Prijedlog godišnjeg izvještaja o izvršenju Državnog proračuna Republike Hrvatske za 2015. godinu [The proposal of the annual report on the execution of the State Budget of the Republic of Croatia for 2015, in Croatian]. Zagreb: MF; 2016 [displayed 4 Aug 2016]. Available at http://www.mfin.hr/hr/drzavni-proracun-2015-godina