Agritourism as a type of niche tourism is a complex and softly defined phaenomenon. The demands for fast and integrated decision regarding agritourism and its interconnections with environment, economy (investments, traffic) and social factors (tourists) is urgent. Many different methodologies and methods master softly structured questions and dilemmas with global and local properties. Here we present methods of systems thinking and system dynamics, which were first brought into force in the educational and training area in the form of different computer simulations and later as tools for decision-making and organisational re-engineering. We develop system dynamics models in order to present accuracy of methodology. These models are essentially simple and can serve only as describers of the activity of basic mutual influences among variables. We will pay the attention to the methodology for parameter model values determination and the so-called mental model. This one is the basis of causal connections among model variables. At the end, we restore a connection between qualitative and quantitative models in frame of system dynamics.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Bockermann A. Meyer B. Omann I. Spangenberg J.H. 2005. Modelling sustainability: comparing an econometric (PANTA RHEI) and a system dynamics model (SuE). Journal of Policy Model. 2005; 27 189-210.
2. Bohanec M. DEXi HTML evaluator: a soft ware package for running DEXi models in Web browsers. Ljubljana Inst. Jožef Stefan. 2016;
3. Elshorbagy A et al. System dynamics approach to assess the sustainability of reclamation of disturbed watersheds. Can. J. Civ. Eng. 2005; 32: 144-158
4. Forrester J. W. System dynamics systems thinking and soft OR. Syst. Dyn. Rev. 1994; 10: 245-256.
5. Harrill R. Residents’ Attitudes toward Tourism Development: a Literature Review with Implications for Tourism Planning. Journal of Planning Lit. 2004; 18: 251-266
6. Jere Jakulin T. Systems approach for optimal decisionmaking in event tourism. In: Arsovski S. et al. Conference Manual. Kragujevac: Faculty of Engineering. 2014; 709-715
7. Jere Lazanski T. System dynamic models to support decision-making in tourism. In Ovsenik R Kiereta I. Destination Mgmt.P. Lang 2006; 36-89
8. Kidd J. Hospitality on the Farm: The Development of a Systems Model of Agritourism. ASEAN Journal on Hospitality and Tourism. 2011; 10: 1.
9. Kljajić M Kljajić Borštnar M. Context-dependent modelling and anticipation the other coin of the system approach.
In Asproth Viveca (ed.) Challenges for the future in an ICT context. Sundsvall. Dept of Tech. and Media. Mid Sweden University. 2011; 61-75.
10. Kljajić M Jere Lazanski T. Systems Approach to Complex Systems modelling. Acta Syst. 2005; 5: 1-6
11. Kljajić M. Škraba A. Rozman Č. Methodology of system dynamics for decision support in agriculture. Agricultura 2012; 9: Nr.1-2 (Speciall Issue ): 7-16
12. Kljajić M. Contribution to anticipative systems meaning and understanding. In Dubois Daniel (ed.).Fourth International Conference on Computing Anticipatory Systems Hec Liege CHAOS - Centre for Hyperincursion and Anticipation in Ordered Systems: Institute of Mathematics. 2000; 15-16.
13. Senge P. The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization. Random House Cornerstone Publ; London.UK. 2010.
14. Rajkovič V Bohanec M. Decision support by knowledge explanation in environments for supporting decision processes (Eds. Sol G.H. Vecsenyi J.) North-Holland. 1991; 47-57.
15. Ropret M et al. The systems approach to the improvement of innovation in Slovenian tourism. Kybernetes. 2014; 43: 427-444
16. Rozman Č et al. The dynamic simulation of organic Farming development scenarios - A case study in Slovenia. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. Elsevier. 2013; 163-172
17. Saaty T. L. Multicriteria Decision Making; the Analytic Hierarchy Process RWS Publications Pittsburgh USA 1990.
18. Saysel A.K. et al. Environmental sustainability in an agricultural development project: a system dynamics approach. J. Environ. Manage. 2002; 64: 247-260.
19. Vennix J. A. M. Group model building: facilitating team learning using system dynamic: John Wiley & Sons Ltd New Jersey USA 1996.
20. Vincke P. Multicriteria Decision-Aid John Wiley & Sons Ltd New Jersey USA 1992.
21. Wang Y.A Pfister R.E. Residents’ Attitudes toward Tourism and Perceived Personal Benefits in a Rural Community. Journal of Travel Research 2008; 47: 84-93
22. Woosnam K. M William C.N.. Tyanyu Y. Exploring the Theoretical Framework of Emotional Solidarity between Residents and Tourists. Journal of Travel Res. 2009; 48: 245-258.
23. Woosnam K. M Norman W.C. Measuring Residents’ Emotional Solidarity with Tourists: Scale Development of Durkheim’s Theoretical Constructs. Journal of Travel Res. 2010; 49: 365-380.
24. Yunis E. Tourism and employment: An overview by UNWTO. The Fifth UNWTO International Conference on Tourism Statistics: Tourism and Engine for Employment Creation UNWTO Bali Indonesia 2009.