The aim of this retrospective study was to characterize the acute pain management in patients admitted to Department of Traumatology and to identify the efficacy of analgesic pharmacotherapy. The study involved 83 patients divided into two groups: 52 patients (63%) in Group 1 underwent operation; the remaining 31 patients (37%) in Group 2 had conservative treatment. The characteristics of the patients (diagnosis, analgesic therapy, age, comorbidities, drugs used during hospitalisation, analgesic efficacy) were obtained from electronic database and medical reports by the hospital. Therapy during the first seven days of hospitalisation and the recommended therapy after discharging home were analysed. Records of drug adverse reactions during the whole hospitalisation were monitored. Metamizol was the most frequently prescribed as a primal analgesic. Adequate analgesia solely by metamizol was reached in 20% of all patients; the remaining 80% required increased doses or combination with another analgesic. Metamizol was combined mainly with tramadol, morphine or pethidine. Our study proved metamizol to be an effective analgesic. No clinical manifestation of agranulocytosis was observed in this study.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
Bandolier Extra. Evidence-based health care. Acute Pain. 2003. http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/Extraforbando/APain.pdf
Bell WR. Acetaminophen and warfarin. Undesirable synergy. JAMA. 1998; 279(9):702-703.
Ben-Bassat J, Peretz E, Sulman FG. Analgesimetry and ranking of analgesic drug by the receptacle method. Arch Int Pharmacodyn. 1959; 122:434-447.
Bensenor IM. To use or not to use dipyrone? Or maybe, Central Station versus ER? That is the question. Sao Paulo Med. J. 2001; 119(6):190-191.
Desborough JP. The stress response to trauma and surgery. Br J Anaesth. 2000; 85:109-117.
Fendrich Z. Metamizol - a New Effective Analgesic with a Long History: A Survey of Pharmacology and Clinical Applications. Čas. Lék. Čes. 2000; 139(14):440-444.
Graff J, Arabmotlagh M, Cheung R, Geisslinger G, Harder S. Effects of Parecoxib and Dipyrone on Platelet Aggregation in Patients Undergoing Meniscectomy: A Double- Blind, Randomized, Parallel-Group Study. Clin Ther. 2007; 29:438-447.
Hinz B. et al. Dipyrone elicits substantial inhibition of peripheral cyclooxygenases in humans: new insights into the pharmacology of an old analgesic. The FASEB J. 2007; 21:2343-2351.
Hohlfeld T. et al. Pyrazolinone analgesics prevent the antiplatelet effect of aspirin and preserve human platelet thromboxane synthesis. J Thromb Haemost. 2008; 6:166-173.
Chaparro LE, Lezcano W, Alvarez HD, Joaqui W. Analgesic Effectiveness of Dipyrone (Metamizol) for Postoperative Pain after Herniorrhaphy: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Dose-Response Study. Pain Practice. 2011;12 (2):142-147.
National health information center. Medical statistics. TOP 50. http://www.nczisk.sk/Documents/zverejnovanie_zakon_lieky/TOP50_Lieky_2011.pdf
Nosková P. How to manage acute pain fast. Interní Med. 2011; 13 (9):360-364. In Czech
SPC Clexane, Fragmin, Fraxiparine, Paralen, Quarelin, Novalgin: http://www.sukl.sk/sk/databazy-a-servis/databazy/vyhladavanie-v-databazeregistrovanych-liekov?page_id=242 Accessed on October 12,2012
Ševčík P. et al.The treatment of acute postoperative pain. The guideline of Czech Society of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Medicine JEP (ČSARIM) 2008 In Czech.