The aim of the paper was to show the diagnostic and therapeutic approaches to a patient suffering from osteomalacia, as well as differential diagnosis with osteoporosis.
Osteomalacia (OM) is a metabolic disease of bones which appears as a result of defective mineralization of newly formed bone matrix in adults. Diagnosis of disease may represent a big problem. A 67-year-old female patient from Pirot was examined in an outpatient unit by a rheumatologist in the Niška Banja Institute in December 2012. The patient reported pain along the vertebral column and inability to get out of bed. Radiography showed vertebral compression fractures and the patient had previously received surgical care at Orthopedics Ward of General Hospital Pirot due to the left femur fracture. Orthopedist, neurologist, physiatrist and practicing rheumatologist suspected osteoporosis. The diagnosis of osteomalacia was established in February, 2013. The treatment was initiated by introducing large doses of vitamin D and advising bisphosphonates. After eighth months, the patient's general condition was improved. This was demonstrated by her independent mobility.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Deleney ME. Metabolic bone disease. U: Kelley textbook of rheumatology 5thed.Ruddys Harris ED Jr Sledge CB(eds)WB Saunders Philadelphia 2001; pp 1635-52.
2. Prince LR and Glendeniring P. Disorders of bone mineral other than osteoporosis. Clin Endocrinol Oxf 2004; 354-9.
3. Geusens PP van Brussel MS Lems BS. Osteoporosis and fracture risk: pathogenesis epidemiology clinical aspects and diagnosis. In: EULAR Compendium on Rheumatic Diseases Edited by JWJ Bijlsma 2009.
4. Lee J Vasikaran S. Current recommendations for laboratory testing and use of bone turnover markers in menagement of osteoporosis. Ann Lab Med 2012; 32: 105-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.3343/alm.2012.32.2.105
5. Bellido T Saini V Pajević P. Effects of PTH on osteocyte function. Bone 2013; 54(2): 250-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2012.09.016
6. Guglielmi G Muscarella S Bazzocchi A. Integrated imaging approach to osteoporosis: state-of-the-art review and update. RadioGraphics 2011; 31(5): 1343-64. http://dx.doi.org/10.1148/rg.315105712
7. Stefanović D Petronijević M. Diferencijalna dijagnoza osteoporoze i osteomalacije. Balneoclimatologija 2007;31:71-8.
8. Arti B Rao AD Sudhaker RD. Osteomalacia as a result of vitamin D deficiency. Endocrinol Metab Clin 2010; 39: 321-31. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecl.2010.02.001
9. Favus MJ. Bisphosphonates for osteoporosis. N Eng J Med 2010; 363: 2027-35. http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/NEJMct1004903
10. Suresh E Pazianas M Abrahamsen B. Safety issues with bisphosphonate therapy for osteoporosis. Rheumatology 2014; 53(1): 19-31. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/ket236
11. Harris ED Jr Genovese MC (eds). Practical rheumatology. Mosby London 1997.
12. Moyer VA. Vitamin D and calcium supplementation to prevent fractures in adults: U.S. Preventive services task forse recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med 2013; 158: 691.