Burkitt lymphoma (BL) is a disease of predominantly young population, while in the elderly it occurs as a rare neoplasm. Elderly patients (age >60 years) represent a significant problem because of the inability to apply effective aggressive chemiotherapy in these cases. The risk of induction death is very high and unacceptible. Mainly, palliative treatments are applied, whose goal is not curing but maintaining the quality of life. We present the case of a person 75 years old with a diagnosis of sporadic, typical BL treated with CHOP+R in the induction therapy with excellent response but rapid progression after the abolition of rituximab. In discussion, the authors are looking for relevant data on the therapeutic approach in BL in the elderly.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Molyneux EM Rochford R Griffin B Newton R Jackon G Menon G Harrison CJ Israels T Bailey S. Burkitt s lymphoma. Lancet 2012; 379(9822):1234-44. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61177-X
2. Blum KA Lozanski G Byrd JC. Adult Burkitt leukemia and lymphoma. Blood 2004; 104: 3009-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1182/blood-2004-02-0405 PMid:15265787
3. Burkitt D. A sarcoma involving the jaws in African children. Brit J Surg 1958;46 (197):218-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/bjs.18004619704 PMid:13628987
4. Mbulaiteye SM Anderson WF Ferlay J Bhatia K Chang C Rosenberg PS Devesa SS Parkin DM. Pediatric elderly and emerging adult-onset peaks in Burkitt's lymphoma incidence diagnosed in four continents excluding Africa. Am J Hematol 2012;87(6):573-78. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ajh.23187 PMid:22488262
5. Diebold J. Burkitt lymphoma. In: Jaffe E Harris N Stein H et al. eds. Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. Washington DC: IARC Press 2001:181-84.
6. Bellan C Lazzi S De Falco G Nyongo A Giordano A Leoncini L. Burkitts lymphoma:new insights into molecular pathogenesis J Clin Pathol 2003;56(3):188-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jcp.56.3.188 PMid:12610094 PMCid:1769902
7. McClure RF Remstein ED Macon WR et al. Adult Bcell lymphomas with Burkitt-like morphology are phenotypically and genotypically heterogeneous with aggressive clinical behavior. Am J Surg Pathol 2005;29: 1652-60. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.pas.0000180442.87022. 08 PMid:16327438
8. Smeland S Blystad AK Kvaloy SO et al. Treatment of Burkitt's/Burkitt like lymphoma in adolescents and adults: a 20-year experience from the Norwegian Radium Hospital with the use of three successive regimens. Ann Oncol 2004;15:1072-78. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdh262 PMid:15205201
9. Thomas DA Faderl S O'Brien S et al. Chemioimmunotherapy with hyper-CVAD plus rituximab for the treatment of adult Burkitt and Burkitt-type lymphoma or acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer 2006; 106: 1569-80. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21776 PMid:16502413
10. Dixon DO Neilan B Jones SE et al. Effect of age on therapeutic outcome in advanced diffuse hystiocytic lymphoma: the Southwest Oncology Group experience. J Clin Oncol 1986;4:295-305. PMid:3512783
11. Gomez H Mas L Casanova L et al. Elderly patients with aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma treated with CHOP chemotherapy plus granylocyte-macrophage colonystimulating factor: identification of two age subgroups with differing hematologic toxicity. J Clin Oncol 1998; 16:2352-58. PMid:9667250
12. Neilly IJ Ogston M Bennett B Dawson AA. High grade non Hodgkin's lymphoma in elederly-12 year experience in the Grampian Region of Scotland. Hematol Oncol 1995;13:99-106. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/hon.2900130206 PMid:7797197
13. Vose JM Armitage JO Weisenburger DD et al. The importance of age in survival of patients treated with chemotherapy for aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 1988;6:1838-44. PMid:2462026
14. Bastion Y Blay JY Divine M et al. Elderly patients with aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: disease presentation response to treatment and survival-a Groupe d'Etude des Lymphomes de l'Adulte study on 453 patients older than 69 years. J Clin Oncol 1997;15: 2945-53. PMid:9256139
15. Lyman GH Dale DC Friedberg J et al. Incidence and predictors of low chemotherapy dose - intensity in aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: a nationwide study. J Clin Oncol 2004; 22: 4302-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.03.213 PMid:15381684
16. Perkins A Friedberg J. Burkitt Lymphoma in Adults. ASH Education Book 2008; 2008 (1): 341-48.
17. Thieblemont C Coiffier B. Lymphoma in older patients. J Clin Oncol 2007;14(25):1916-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.10.5957 PMid:17488991
18. Yossi C Gail A Eliezer AR Aaron P. Sustained complete remission following a combination of very low intensity chemotherapy with rituximab in an elderly patient with Burkit's lymphoma. Haematologica 2002; 87 (01):ELTO 4.