The article presents problems accompanying the industrial TIG welding (142) of a heat exchanger perforated bottom made of steel clad with titanium B265 grade 1 with tubes made of titanium B338 grade 2. Research-related tests involved the making of test plates containing simulated imperfections formed during orbital welding. The above-named imperfections resulted from insufficient gas shielding during the welding process, the improper positioning of the tungsten electrode (excessively large or overly small circumference, around which the orbital welding process was performed), an excessive electrode travel rate being the consequence of an improperly set welding programme as well as excessively high welding current. Initial tests enabled the development of the orbital TIG welding of titanium tubes with the perforated bottom made of titanium-clad steel, satisfying acceptance criteria applied during commissioning.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Vandewynckéle A Vaamonde E Fontán M. Herwig P. Mascioletti A. (2013). Laser welding head tailored to tube-sheet joint requirements for heat exchangers manufacturing. Physics Procedia 41 144-152.
2. Varbai B. Pickle T. Májlinger K. (2019). Effect of heat input and role of nitrogen on the phase evolution of 2205 duplex stainless steel weldment. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 176 103952.
3. Sajek A. (2019). Application of FEM simulation method in area of the dynamics of cooling AHSS steel with a complex hybrid welding process. Welding in the World 63(4) 1065-1073.
4. Gietka T. Ciechacki K. Kik T. (2016). Numerical simulation of duplex steel multipass welding. Archives of Metallurgy and Materials 61 1975-1983.
5. Górka J. Klimpel A. (1995). A technology for the welding of tubes to perforated clad tube plates. Welding International 9 776-780.
6. Pańcikiewicz K. Tuz L. Zielińska-Lipiec A. (2014). Zinc contamination cracking in stainless steel after welding. Engineering Failure Analysis 39 149-154.
7. Skowrońska B. Chmielewski T. Pachla W. Kulczyk M. Skiba J. Presz W. (2019). Friction Weldability of UFG 316L stainless steel. Archives of Metallurgy and Materials 64 1051-1058.
8. Winczek J. Gawronska E. Gucwa M. Sczygiol N. (2019). Theoretical and experimental investigation of temperature and phase transformation during SAW overlaying. Applied Sciences 9(7) 1472.
9. Talkington J. Harwig D. Castner. H. Mitchell G. (2000). Development of titanium weld color inspection tools. Welding Journal 79(3) 35-38.
10. Margolin. H. Nielsen J.P. (1960). Titanum Metallurgy – Modern materials advances in development and aplications. New York – London: Academic Press 2 225 – 325.
11. Shankar A. R. Sole R. Thyagarajan K. George R. P. Mudali U. K. (2019). Failure analysis of titanium heater tubes and stainless steel heat exchanger weld joints in nitric acid loop. Engineering Failure Analysis 99 248-262.
12. Lathabai S. Jarvis. B.L. Barton K.J. (2001). Comparison of keyhole and conventional gas tungsten arc welds in commercially pure titanium. Materials Science and Engineering A 299 81-93.
13. Farrahi G. H. Chamani M. Kiyoumarsioskouei A. Mahmoudi A. H. (2019). The effect of plugging of tubes on failure of shell and tube heat exchanger. Engineering Failure Analysis 104 545-559.
14. Kumar K. Masanta M. Sahoo S. K. (2019). Microstructure evolution and metallurgical characteristic of bead-on-plate TIG welding of Ti-6Al-4V alloy. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 265 34-43.
15. Khorshidi J. Heidari S. Design and construction of a spiral heat exchanger. Advances in Chemical Engineering and Science 6 1-8.
16. Tomków J. Fydrych D. Rogalski G. Łabanowski J. (2019). Effect of the welding environment and storage time of electrodes on the diffusible hydrogen content in deposited metal. Revista de Metalurgia 55 e140.
17. Prabhat K. Aravinda P. (2014). An overview of welding aspects and challenges during manufacture of intermediate heat exchangers for 500MWe prototype fast breeder reactor. Procedia Engineering 86 173 – 183.
18. Leonov V.P. Mikhailov V.I. Yu I. (2016). Welding of high-strength titanium alloys of large thicknesses for use in marine environments. Inorganic Materials: Applied Reaserch 7 877-883.
19. Lothongkum G. Chaumbai P. Bhandhubanyong P. (1990). TIG pulse welding of 304L austenitic stainless steel in flat vertical and overhead positions. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 89-90 410-414.
20. Lisiecki A. (2016). Effect of heat input during disk laser bead-on-plate welding of thermomechanically rolled steel on penetration characteristics and porosity formation in the weld metal. Archives of Metallurgy and Materials 61 93–102.
21. Benway A. (2000). Advancements in automatic orbital welding expand its use provide welders with more option. Industrial Maintenance & Plant Operation 61 22.
22. Kosturek R. Wachowski M. Śnieżek L. Gloc M. (2019). The influence of the post-weld heat treatment on the microstructure of Inconel 625/carbon steel bimetal joint obtained by explosive welding. Metals 9(2) 246.