Lignin is the second most abundant natural polymer. Due to the high content of carbon and hydrogen (C-H, C-C, C=O), it can be used as a potential dispersant for cement matrix. The objective of this study is to extract lignin from date palm and study its effect in the form of black liquor (BL) on the rheological and physic-mechanical properties of the cements and concrete. The lignin in black liquor form represents approximately 30 wt% dry weight of date palm. It is a heteropolymer composed primarily of methoxylated phenylpropylene alcohol monomeric units interconnected by a variety of stable carbon-carbon and carbon-oxygen-carbon (ether and esters) linkages. The results found show the positive effect on the workability of cement and concrete and confirms its dispersion effect by improving compressive strength of concrete during the early and the later ages of hydration.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Demesa A. Laari A. Sillanpää M. Koiranen T. Valorization of lignin by partial wet oxidation using sustainable heteropoly acid catalysts. Molecules 22 (2017) 1625.
2. Tao C.; Kutchko B.G.; Rosenbaum E.; Wu W.-T.; Massoudi M. Steady flow of cement slurry. Energies 12(13) (2019) 2604.
3. Ahmad M. Taylor C.R. Pink D. Burton K. Eastwood D. Bending G.D. Bugg T.D. Development of novel assays for lignin degradation: comparative analysis of bacterial and fungal lignin degraders. Molecular BioSystems 5 (2010) 815–821.
4. Ferraris C.F. Measurement of the rheological properties of high performance concrete: state of the art report. Journal of Research of the National Institute of Standards and Technology 104(5) (1999) 461–478.
5. Cyr M. Legrand C. Mouret M. Study of the shear thickening effect of superplasticizers on the rheological behaviour of cement pastes containing or not mineral additives. Cement and Concrete Research 30 (2000) 1477–1483.
6. Jayasree C. Gettu R. Experimental study of the flow behaviour of superplasticized cement paste. Materials and Structures 41(2008) 1581–1593.
7. Panaseti P. Damianou Y. Georgiou G.C. Housiadas K.D. Pressure-driven flow of a Herschel-Bulkley fluid with pressure-dependent rheological parameters. Physics of Fluids 30(3) 2018 030701.
8. Dalmas Guo-Hua. La biolignine TM : structure et application a l’élaboration de la résine époxy. Doctorat Thesis Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse (2011).
9. De Larrard F. Ferraris C.F. Sedran T. Fresh concrete: a Herschel-Bulkley material. Materials and Structures 31(1998) 494–498.
10. Djebien R. Belachia M. Hebhoub H. Effect of marble waste fines on rheological and hardened properties of sand concrete. Structural Engineering and Mechanics 53(6) (2015) 1241–1251.
11. Achinivu E. Protic ionic liquids for lignin extraction—A lignin characterization study. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 19(2) (2018) 428.
12. Chen F. Shahabadi S.I.S. Zhou D. Liu W. Kong J. Xu J. Lu X. Facile preparation of cross-linked lignin for efficient adsorption of dyes and heavy metal ions. Reactive and Functional Polymers 143 (2019) 104336.
13. Li X. Li M. Pu Y. Ragauskas A.J. Klett A.S. Thies M. Zheng Y. Inhibitory effects of lignin on enzymatic hydrolysis: The role of lignin chemistry and molecular weight. Renewable Energy 123 (2018) 664–674.
14. Goisis M. Buscema A. De Marco T. Characterization of the rheological properties of cement paste prepared with polycarboxylate type superplasticizer. Seventh CANMET/ACI. International Conference on Superplasticizers and Other Chemical Admixtures in Concrete Berlin (2003).
15. Uchikawa H. Sawaki D. Hanehara S. Influence of kind and added timing of organic admixture on the composition structure and property of fresh cement paste. Cement and Concrete Research 25 (2) (1995) 353 – 364.
16. Sella Kapu N. Trajano H.L. Review of hemicellulose hydrolysis in softwoods and bamboo. Biofuels Bioprod Biorefin 8(2014) 857-870.
17. Kim H.Y. Lee E.S. Kim W.S. Suh D.J. Ahn B.S. Material and heat balances of bioethanol production process by concentrated acid saccharification process from lignocellulosic biomass. Clean Technology 17(2) (2011) 156–165.
18. Kline L.M. Hayes D.G. Womac A.R. Labbe N. Simplified determination of lignin content in hard and soft woods via UV-spectrophotometric analysis of biomass dissolved in ionic liquids. BioResources. 5(3) (2010) 1366–1383.
19. Helnan-Moussa B. Vanhove Y. Wirquin E. Thixotropic behaviour and structural breakdown of fresh cement paste: Comparison between two types of VMA. Advances in Cement Research 25(4) (2013) 235–244.
20. Li J. Isolation of lignin from wood. Saimaa University of Applied Sciences Imatra. Unit of Technology Degree Programme in Paper Technology. Bachelor’s Thesis (2011) 57.
21. Lim J.H. Lee G.C. Effect of blast furnace slag on rheological properties of fresh mortar. Journal of the Korea Institute of Building Construction 14(4) (2014) 285–291.
22. A. Irekti B. Bezzazi A. Smith C. Aribi. Experimental Study of Dielectric Properties of Composite Materials Pozzolan/DGEBA” Journal Polymer Composites 38(2) (2017).
23. Clément Celhay Céline E. Mathieu Laure Candy. Aqueous extraction of polyphenols and antiradicals from wood by-products by 4 twin-screw extractor: Feasibility study. Comptes Rendus Chimie 17(3) (2014).
24. M. Fasching P. Schröder R. Wollboldt H. Weber H. Sixta. A new and facile method for isolation of lignin from wood based on complete wood dissolution. Holzforschung 62(2008) 15–23.
25. M. Saric-Coric K.H. Khayat A. Tagnit-Hamou. Performance characteristics of cement grouts made with various combinations of high-range water reducer and cellulose based viscosity modifier. Cement and Concrete Research 33 (12) (2003)1999–2008.
26. Stryczek S. Wiśniowski R. Gonet A. Złotkowski A. Ziaja J. Influence of polycarboxylate superplasticizers on rheological properties of cement slurries used in drilling technologies. Archives of Mining Sciences 58 (3) (2013) 719–728.
27. Nehdi M. Rahman M.A. Estimating rheological properties of cement pastes using various rheological models for different test geometry gap and surface friction. Cement and Concrete Research 34 (2004) 1993–2007.
28. NA 231 Testing cement methods - Determination of the finesse Algerian standard (2006).
29. NA 774 Admixtures for concrete Definitions requirements conformity marking and labeling Algerian standard (2006).
30. NA EN 933-1 Granulometric analysis of aggregates (sand and gravel) Algerian standard (2009).
31. Jayasree C. Gettu R. Experimental study of the flow behaviour of superplasticized cement paste. Materials and Structures 41(9) (2008) 1581–1593.
32. Qian Y. Kawashima S. Distinguishing dynamic and static yield stress of fresh cement mortars through thixotropy. Cement and Concrete Composites 86 (2018) 288–296.
33. Irekti A. Bezzazi B. Rheological study of composite materials based on thermosetting matrix and fillers mineral. Key Engineering Materials 550 (2013) 79–84.
34. Oualit M. Irekti A. Brahim H.A.M.I. Evaluation of the performance of local cement for oil well cementing operations in Algeria. Journal of Materials and Engineering Structures 5(13) (2018) 5–13.
35. Oualit M. Irekti A. Melinge Y. Saturation point of superplasticizers determined by rheological tests for self compacting concrete. Periodica Polytechnica Civil Engineering 62(2) (2017) 346–352.
36. Papo A. Piani L. Effect of various superplasticizers on the rheological properties of Portland cement pastes. Cement and Concrete Research 34 (2004) 2097–2101.
37. Park J. Kim J.Y. Choi J.W. Degradation of plant lignin with the supercritical ethanol and Ru/C catalyst combination for lignin-oil. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 43(3) (2015) 355–363.
38. Ralph J. Lundquist K. Brunow G. Lu F. Kim H. et al. Lignins: natural polymers from oxidative coupling of 4-hydroxyphenylpropanoids. Phytochemistry Reviews 3 (2004) 29–60.
39. Kossakowski P.G. Raczkiewicz W. Comparative analysis of measured and predicted shrinkage strain in concrete. Advances in Materials Science 14 (2) (2014) 5–13.
40. Roussel N. Coussot P. “Fifty cent rheometer” for yield stress measurements: From slump to spreading flow. Journal of Rheology 49(3) (2005) 705–718.
41. El-Mekkawi S.A. Ismail I.M. El-Attar M.M. Fahmy A.A. Mohammed S.S. Utilization of black liquor as concrete admixture and set retarder aid. Journal of Advanced Research 2 (2011) 163–169.
42. Abo-El-Enein S.A. El-Gamal S.M.A. Aiad I.A. Azab M.M. Mohamed O.A. Early hydration characteristics of oil well cement pastes admixed with newly prepared organic admixture. HBRC Journal 14 (2018) 207–214.
43. Shen L. Chepelev I. Liu J. Wang W. Prediction of quantitative phenotypes based on genetic networks: a case study in yeast sporulation. BMC Systems Biology 4 (128) (2010).
44. Irekti A. Bezzazi B. Boualam C. Aribi C. Dilmi H. FTIR analysis and rheological behavior of bisphenol: a diglycidyl ether resin filled fume-silica. Journal of Materials Science and Engineering A 4 (11) (2014) 340–347.
45. Stewart J.J. Akiyama T. Chapple C. Ralph J. Mansfield S.D. The effects on lignin structure of overexpression of ferulate 5-hydroxylase in hybrid poplar. Plant Physiology 150 (2009) 621–635.
46. Laurichesse S. Avérous L. Chemical modification of lignins: Towards biobased polymers. Progress in Polymer Science 39 (7) (2014) 1266–1290.
47. NA 431 Determination of the consistency of fresh concrete-slump tests Algerian standard (2003).
48. Kalami S. Nejad M. Choosing the right lignin for phenolic adhesive application. International Journal of Chemical and Molecular Engineering 11(3) (2017).
49. Raczkiewicz W. Bacharz M. K. Bacharz. Experimental verification of the concrete shrinkage strains course according to EN 1992-2 standard. Advances in Materials Science 15 (2) (2015) 22–29.
50. Yan T. Xu Y. Yu C. The isolation and characterization of lignin of kenaf fiber. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 114 (2009) 1896–1901.
51. Li Y. Synthesis and super retarding performance in cement production of diethanolamine modified lignin surfactant. Construction and Building Materials 52 (2014) 116–121.
52. NF EN 12930-3 Compressive strength of test specimens French standard France (2003).
53. Yuan Q. Xiang Y. Yan Z. Han C. Jan L.Y. Jan Y.N. Light-induced structural and functional plasticity in Drosophila larval visual system. Science 333(6048) (2011) 1458–1462.