This article presents the results of an examination of the properties of thermal flame sprayed coatings produced by material in the form of four powders (two polymers: PA11 and PA12 CastoPlast, and two high purity: tin and aluminum) on the substrate of the unalloyed structural steel of S235JR grade. Investigations of coating properties are based on metallography tests (SEM and CLSM), measurement of microhardness (acc. to PN-EN ISO 6507-1:2007), anticorrosive (acc. to PN-EN ISO 9227:2017-06) and bend testing. Results demonstrate properties of flame sprayed coatings that are especially promising in the industrial applications where corrosion-resistant coating properties are required. Consequently, performed experiments show that the highest corrosion resistance is demonstrated by steel samples with a polyamide anti-corrosion system. Accelerated corrosion tests showed the lowest corrosion resistance of the tin coating system, however, they do not fully correspond to the corrosion processes in operating conditions.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Zhai T. Yan R. He W. Ma H. Corrosion protection performance of Mo-incorporated 2-hydroxyphosphonoacetic acid-Zn2+ complex conversion layers on the cold-rolled steel substrate. Surface and Coatings Technology (351) (2018) 50-59.
2. Goyal M. Kumar S. Bahadur I. Verma C. Ebenso E.E. Organic corrosion inhibitors for industrial cleaning of ferrous and non-ferrous metals in acidic solutions: a review. Journal of Molecular Liquids (256) (2018) 565-573.
3. Marcus P. Corrosion mechanisms in theory and practice 3th Edition CRC Press Boca Raton 2011.
4. Hubadillah S.K. Kumar P. Othman M.H.D. Ismail A.F. Rahman M.A. Jaafar J. A low cost superhydrophobic and superoleophilic hybrid kaolin-based hollow fibre membrane (KHFM) for efficient adsorption–separation of oil removal from water. RSC Advances 8 (6) (2018) 2986-2995.
5. Klimpel A. Czupryński J. Górka T. Kik M. Melcer A study of modern materials for arc spraying. Welding International 28 (2) (2014) 100-106.
6. Adamiak M. Czupryński A. Kopyść A. Monica Z. Olender M. Gwiazda A. The properties of arc-sprayed aluminum coatings on armor-grade steel. Metals 2018 8 (2) 1-10.
7. Łatka L. Thermal barrier coatings manufactured by suspension plasma spraying-a review. Advances in Materials Science 18 (3) (2018) 95-117.
8. Pawłowski L. The science and engineering of thermal spray coatings 2nd Edition John Wiley & Sons Chichester 2008.
9. Chmielewski T. Golański D. Włosiński W. Metallization of ceramic materials based on the kinetic energy of detonation waves Bulletin of the Polish Academy of Sciences - Technical Sciences 63 (2) (2015) 449-456.
10. Czupryński A. Selected properties of the thermally sprayed oxide ceramic coatings Advances in Materials Science 15 (3) (2015) 17-32.
11. Pathak S. Saha G. Development of sustainable cold spray coatings and 3D additive manufacturing components for repair/manufacturing applications: a critical review. Coatings 7 (8) (2017) 1-27.
12. Winnicki M. Małachowska A. Korzeniowski M. Jasiorski M. Baszczuk A. Aluminium to steel resistance spot welding with cold sprayed interlayer. Surface Engineering 34(3) (2018) 235-242.
13. Chmielewski T. Siwek P. Chmielewski M. Piątkowska A. Grabias A. Golański D. Structure and selected properties of arc sprayed coatings containing in-situ fabricated Fe-Al intermetallic phases. Metals 8 (12) (2018) 1059.
14. Vazirinasab E. Jafari R. Momen G. Application of superhydrophobic coatings as a corrosion barrier: A review. Surface and Coatings Technology 341 (2018) 40-56.
15. Szala M. Hejwowski T. Cavitation erosion resistance and wear mechanism model of flame-sprayed Al2O3-40% TiO2/NiMoAl cermet coatings. Coatings 8 (7) (2018) 254.
16. Bolelli G. Bursi M. Lusvarghi L. Manfredini T. Matikainen V. Rigon R. Vuoristo P. Tribology of FeVCrC coatings deposited by HVOF and HVAF thermal spray processes. Wear 394 (2018) 113-133.
17. Nataly C. Shiladitya P. Thermally sprayed aluminum coatings for the protection of subsea rises and pipelines carrying hot fluids. Coatings 6 (58) (2016) 1-11.
18. Davis J.R. Handbook of Thermal Spray Technology ASM International Materials Park 2004.
19. Winnicki M. Rutkowska-Gorczyca M. Baszczuk A. Małachowska A. Piwowarczyk T. Ambroziak A. Corrosion resistance of tin coatings deposited by different methods. Acta Physica Polonica A 130 (4) (2016) 1155-1157.