Chromium oxide ceramics may be considered as a new generation of ceramic materials for cutting tools with considerably improved high speed cutting performance. The present work is focused on the development of Cr2O3 nanocomposite materials fabricated with the Field Activated Sintering Technique (FAST). The main objective of the proposed work is to study the influence of electric field on the densification process during FAST sintering of the materials in the Cr2O3-AlN system with nanosize microstructure. Additional objectives are to characterize mechanical properties of the obtained Cr2O3 ceramics. The work aimed to develop composite materials based on Cr2O3-based nanoparticles for cutting, then to check their cutting properties and to work out the recommendations for their use for processing of various materials, accordingly.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Wegener K. Kuster F. Weikert S. Weiss L. Stirnimann J.: Success Story Cutting. Procedia CIRP 46 (2016) 512–524.
2. Huang X. Etsion I. Shao T.: Effects of elastic modulus mismatch between coating and substrate on the friction and wear properties of TiN and TiAlN coating systems. Wear 338-339 (2015) 54-61.
3. Morozow D. Narojczyk J. Rucki M. Lavrynenko S.: Wear Resistance of the Cermet Cutting Tools After Aluminum (Al+) and Nitrogen (N+) Ion Implantation. Adv. Mater. Sci. 18 (2018) 92–99.
4. Kumar Ch.S. Patel S.K.: Application of surface modification techniques during hard turning: Present work and future prospects. Int. J. Ref. Met. Hard Mater. 76 (2018) 112-127
5. Gevorkian E. Lavrynenko S. Rucki M. Siemiątkowski Z. Kislitsa M.: Ceramic cutting tools out of nanostructured refractory compounds. Int. J. Ref. Met. Hard Mater. 68 (2017) 142-144.
6. Ji W. Zou B. Zhang Sh. Xing H. Yun H. Wang Y.: Design and fabrication of gradient cermet composite cutting tool and its cutting performance. J All. Comp. 732 (2018) 25-31.
7. Slipchenko K. Petrusha I. Turkevich V. Johansson J. Bushlya V Ståhl J.E.: Investigation of the mechanical properties and cutting performance of cBN-based cutting tools with Cr3C2 binder phase. Procedia CIRP 72 (2018) 1433-1438.
8. Pittari J.J. Murdoch H.A. Kilczewski S.M. Hornbuckle B.C. Swab J.J. Darling K.A. Wright J.C.: Sintering of tungsten carbide cermets with an iron-based ternary alloy binder: Processing and thermodynamic considerations. Int. J. Ref. Met. Hard Mater. 76 (2018) 1-11.
9. Cheng M. Liu H. Zhao B. Huang Ch Yao P. Wang B.: Mechanical properties of two types of Al2O3/TiC ceramic cutting tool material at room and elevated temperatures. Ceramics International 43 (2017) 13869-13874.
10. Basu B. Lee J.H. Kim D.Y.: Development of WC-ZrO2 nanocomposites by spark plasma sintering. J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 87(2) (2004) 317–319.
11. Malek O. Lauwers B. Perez Y. Baets P. Vleugels J.: Processing of ultrafine ZrO2 toughened WC composites. J. Eur. Ceram. Soc. 29(16) (2009) 3371–3378.
12. Pedzich Z. Haberko K. Piekarczyk J. Faryna M. Litynska L.: Zirconia matrix-tungsten carbide particulate composites manufactured by hot-pressing technique. Mater Lett. 36 (1998) 70–75.
13. Kisly P.S. Prokopiv N.M. Gevorkyan E.S.: Raw Material for Composites. USSR Certificate of Invention № 1759014 V 35/12. 01.05.92.
14. Kisly P.S. Prokopiv N.M. Gevorkyan E.S.: Raw Material for Composites. USSR Certificate of Invention № 1780284 V 35/12. 08.07.92.
15. Kisly P.S. Prokopiv N.M. Gevorkyan E.S.: Raw Material for Composites. USSR Certificate of Invention № 1676220 V 35/12. 08.05.91.
16. Fang Zh.Z. Wang H. Kumar V.: Coarsening densification and grain growth during sintering of nano-sized powders—A perspective. Int. J. Ref. Met. Hard Mater. 62 (Part B) (2017) 110-117.
17. Tiwari D. Basu B. Biswas K.: Simulation of thermal and electric field evolution during spark plasma sintering Ceramics International 35 (2009) 699–708.
19. Groza J.R. Stanciu L.A. Kodash V.Y. Crisan M. Zaharescu M.: Electrical field effect in sintering and reaction to form aluminum titanate from binary Al2O3–TiO2 sol–gel powders. J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 2 (2005) 183–192.
20. Semchenko G. Gevorkyan E.: Consolidated nanocomposite materials with the defined properties. Advances in Science and Technology 91 (2014) 24–31.
21. Anstis G.R. Chantikul P. Lawn B.R. Marshall D.B.: A critical evaluation of indentation techniques for measuring fracture toughness: I. Direct crack measurements. J. Eur. Ceram. Soc. 64 (1981) 533.
22. Blau P.J. Budinski K.G.: Development and use of ASTM standards for wear testing. Wear 225–229(2) (1999) 1159–1170.