Wet welding with the use of covered electrodes is one of the methods of underwater welding. This method is the oldest, the most economic and the most versatile. The main difficulties during underwater wet welding are: high cooling rates of the joint, the presence of hydrogen in the arc area and formation of hard martensitic structure in the weld. These phenomena are often accompanied by porosity of welds and large number of spatters, which are more advanced with the increase of water depth. In this paper result of non-destructive tests, hardness tests and metallographic observations of S500MC steel joints performed underwater are presented. The weldability of 500MC steel at water environment was determined
8. AleAbbas F.M., Al-Ghamdi T.A., Liu S.: Comparison of solidification behavior between underwater wet welding and dry welding. Proceedings of the International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering - OMAE 2011, 285.
9. Shi Y., Zheng Z., Huang J.: Sensitivity model for prediction of bead geometry in underwater wet flux cored arc welding. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China (English Edition), vol. 23, 7 (2013), 1977-1984.
10. Cui L., Yang X., Wang D., Hou X., Cao J., Xu W.: Friction taper plug welding for S355 steel in underwater wet conditions: Welding performance, microstructures and mechanical properties. Materials Science and Engineering A 2014.
11. Zhang X., Ashida E., Shono S., Matsuda F.: Effect of shielding conditions of local dry cavity on weld quality in underwater Nd:YAG laser welding. Journal of Materials Processing and Technology, vol. 174, 1-3 (2006), 34-41.
12. Zhu J., Jiao X., Chen M., Zhou C., Gao H.: Research of chamber local dry underwater welding system and drainage properties. China Welding (English Edition), vol. 22 (2013), 1, 27-29.
13. Matsuda K., Masumoto I., Hasegawa M.: Study on the crack sensitivity of mild steel welded joint by underwater welding. Proceedings of the International Conference „Joining of Metals - 2”, Helsingor, Denmark 1984.
14. Fydrych D.: Cold cracking of steel welded in water environment. Przegląd Spawalnictwa (Welding Technology Review), 10 (2012) (in Polish).
15. Garasic I., Krajl S., Kozuh S.: Investigation into cold cracking in underwater wet welding of API 5L X70 steel. Transactions of FAMENA, vol. 33, 3 (2009), 25-34.
16. PN-EN ISO 17642-2:2005. Destructive tests on welds in metallic materials. Cold cracking tests for weldments. Arc welding processes. Part 2: Self-restraint tests.
17. PN-EN ISO 17637:2011. Non-destructive testing of welds. Visual testing of fusion-welded joints.
18. PN-EN 571-1:1999. Non-destructive testing. Penetrant testing. Part 1: General principles.
19. PN-EN 1312:2000. Destructive tests on welds in metallic materials. Macroscopic and microscopic examination of welds.
20. PN-EN 9015-1:2011. Destructive tests on welds in metallic materials. Hardness testing. Hardness test on arc welded joints.