The aim of this study was to determine the pathological, mycological and molecular findings in turkey poults with different immunological status experimentally infected with Aspergillus fumigatus. The investigation was carried out 1, 3, 7, 14 and 21 days after intratracheal inoculation of 5.056×107 spores of A. fumigatus to 14-day-old turkey poults in group G-1, as well as to turkey poults in group G-2 which were treated prior to infection with dexamethasone. A. fumigatus was isolated on day 1 p.i. in both groups, but the number of positive samples was bigger in group G-1. A. fumigatus was isolated from the respiratory organs of group G-1as early as on day 1 and 3 p.i. in 4 out of 12 examined specimens (33%). On day 7 p.i. A. fumigatus was possible to isolate from the respiratory organs of 50% of infected birds, on day 14 in 83.33% and on day 21 p.i. A. fumigatus was isolated in 6 out of 6 sacrificed turkey poults (100%). In dexamethasone-treated group A. fumigatus isolates from the respiratory organs on day 1 and 3 p.i. were same as in group G-1, whereas on days 7 and 14 p.i. the number of turkey poults positive to A. fumigatus increased in comparison with the untreated G-1 group. The histopathological lesions in turkey poults treated with dexamethasone developed earlier, were more intensive and extensive. The mycological and nested PCR results revealed a higher number of samples positive for the presence of A. fumigatus DNA in the group G-2, pretreated with dexamethasone.
3. Charlton BR Chin RP Barnes HJ: Fungal infections. In: Diseases of poultry. 12th edn Blackwell Publishing; Iowa; 2008 989-998.
4. Zafra R Perez J Perez-Ecija RA Borge C Bustamante R Carbonero A Tarradas C: Concurrent aspergillosis and ascites with high mortality in farm of growing broiler chickens. Avian Dis 2008 52(4): 711-713.
5. Akan M Haziroglu R Ilhan Z Sareyyupoglu B Tunca R: A case of Aspergillosis in broiler breeder flock. Avian Dis 2002 46: 497-501.
6. Leishangthem GD Singh ND Brar RS Banga HS: Aspergillosis in Avian Species: A Review. Journal of Poultry Science and Technology 2015 3: 1-14
7. Femenia F Fontaine JJ Lair-Fulleringer Berkova N Huet D Towanou N Rakotovao F Grenet OI Le-Loch G Arne P Guillot J: Clinical mycological and pathological findings in turkeys experimentally infected by Aspergillus fumigatus. Avian Pathol 2007 36(3): 213-219.
9. Kapetanov M Potkonjak D Milanov D Stojanov I Živkov-Balaš M Prunić B: Investigation of dissemination of aspergillosis in poultry and possible control measures. Zb Matice Srp Prir Nauk 2011 120 267-276.
10. Kunkle RA Rimler RB: Pathology of acute aspergillosis in turkeys. Avian Dis 1996 40(4): 875-886.
11. Steinbach WJ Benjamin DK Trasi SA Miller JL Schell WA Zaas AK Foster WM Perfect JR: Value of an inhalational model of invasive aspergillosis. Med Mycol 2004 42 (5): 417-425.
12. Beernaert LA Pasmans F Haesebrouck F Martel A: Modelling Aspergillus fumigatus infections in racing pigeons (Columba livia domestica). Avian Pathol 2008 37(5): 545-549.
13. Dagenais TR Keller NP: Pathogenesis of Aspergillus fumigatus in invasive aspergillosis. Clin Microbiol Rev 2009 22(3): 447-465.
14. Thierry S Durand B Melloul E Tafani JP Wang DY Deville M Cordonnier N Chermette R Guillot J Arne P: Assessment of Aspergillus fumigatus pathogenicity in aerosol-challenged chickens (Gallus gallus) belonging to two lineages. Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis 2013 36(4): 379-385.
15. de Hoog GS: Atlas of clinical fungi. 2000:1-1126
16. Bansod S Gupta I Rai M: Specific detection of Aspergillus fumigatus in sputum sample of pulmonary tuberculosis patients by two-step PCR. Afr J Biotechnol 2008 7 (1): 16-21.
17. Julian RJ Goryo M: Pulmonary aspergillosis causing right ventricular failure and ascites in meat-type chickens. Avian Pathol 1990 19 (4): 643-654.
18. Fedde M.R: Relationship of structure and function of the avian respiratory system to disease susceptibility. Poultry Sci 1998 77(8): 1130-1138.
19. Arne P Thierry S Wang D Deville M Le Loch G Desoutter A Femenia F Nieguitsila A Haung W Chermettle R Guillot J: Aspergillus fumigatus in Poultry. Int J Microbiol 2011 14 pp.
20. Richard JL Cutlip RC Thurston JR Songer J: Response of turkey poults to aerosolized spores of Aspergillus fumigatus and aflatoxigenic and nonaflatoxigenic strains of Aspergillus flavus. Avian Dis 1981 25(1): 53-67.
21. Le Loch G Arne P Bougerot C Risi E Pericard JM Quinton JF Bretagne S Guillot J: Detection of circulating serum galactomannan for the diagnosis of avian aspergillosis. 16th Congress of the International Society for Human and Animal Mycology (ISHAM) June 25-29 th 2006. Paris.
22. Mullbacher A Waring P Eichner RD: Identification of agent in cultures of Aspergillus fumigatus displaying anti-phagocytic and immunomodulating activity in vitro. J Gen Microbiol 1985 131: 1251-1258.
23. Cacciuttolo E Rossi G Nardoni S Legrottaglie R Mani P: Anatomopathological aspects of avian aspergillosis. Vet Res Commun 2009 33: 521-527.
24. Sutton P Newcomble NR Waring P Mulbacher A: In vivo immunosuppressive activity of gliotoxin a metabolite produced by human pathogenic fungi. Infect Immun 1994 62: 1192-1198.
25. Sutton P Waring P Mullbacher A: Exacerbation of invasive aspergillosis by the immunosuppressive fungal metabolite. Immunol Cell Biol 1996 74: 318-322.
26. McCormick A Loeffler J Ebel F: Aspergillus fumigatus: contours of an opportunistic human pathogen. Cell Microbiol 2010 12: 1535-1543.
27. Monod M Paris S Sanglard D Jaton-Ogay K Bille J Latge JP: Isolation and characterisation of a secreated metalloprotease of Aspergillus fumigatus. Infect Immun1993 61 4099-4104.
28. Kwon-Chung KJ Bennett JE: Medical mycology. Lea and Febiger 1992 Philadelphia.
29. Ben-Ami R Lewis RE Leventakos K Latgé JP Kontoyiannis DP: Cutaneous model of invasive aspergillosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2010 54: 1848-1854.
30. Rementeria A López-Molina N Ludwig A Vivanco AB Bikandi J Pontón J Garaizar J: Genes and molecules involved in Aspergillus fumigatus virulence. Rev Iberoam Micol 2005 22 (1): 1-23.
31. Matsuse H Fukushima C Fukahori S Tsuchida T Kawano T Nishino T Kohno S: Differential effects of Dexamethasone and Itraconazole on Aspergillus fumigatus – exacerbated allergic airway inflammation in a murine model of mite - sensitized asthma. Basic Sci Invest 2013 85:429-435.
32. Shi Bao Z You G Li Wen-Bin Jiang T: A single Aspergillus fumigatus intracranial abscess in an immunocompetent patient with parietal lobe tumorectomy World J Surg Oncol 2014 12:181