The main problems that cause unresponsiveness to an anti-neoplastic drug are the overexpression of drug resistant and anti-apoptotic proteins in tumor cells. In a rescue protocol we evaluated the ability of toceranib phosphate concurrent with lomustine (CCNU) or L-asparaginase and vincristine to decrease drug resistant and apoptotic proteins in relapsed and refractory canine lymphomas. The peripheral blood samples were collected before and after the rescue treatment from fourteen dogs that were refractory to cyclophosphamide-vincristine-prednisolone (COP) or COP-doxorubicin (CHOP) treatment and had recurrent multicentric lymphoma. The mRNA expression level of ABCB1, ABCG2, Bcl2 and Bax were determined by quantitative real-time PCR. The fold-change in ABCB1, ABCG2, Bcl2 and Bax mRNA levels were analyzed in correlation with the progression-free survival (PFS). After the rescue treatment, the ABCB1 and ABCG2 mRNA expression levels were 1.57- and 1.85-fold lower (p = 0.4 and p = 0.87), respectively, compared to pre-treatment. Bcl2/Bax ratio was numerically but not significantly decreased 1.02-fold (p = 0.74). The overall response rate of this protocol was 50% with a median PFS of 79 days (range 14-207 days). The low medians of relative expression levels of ABCB1, ABCG2 and Bcl2/Bax ratio group did not correlate with the clinical outcomes when compared to the high medians of relative expression levels, and likewise with the clinical stage, immunophenotype, histological grade and sub-stage. Therefore, the administration of a rescue drug with toceranib phosphate might be beneficial in refractory and relapsed canine lymphoma.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Uozurmi K Nakaichi M Yamamoto Y Une S Taura Y: Development of multidrug resistance in a canine lymphoma cell line. Res Vet Sci 200578:217-224.
2. Moore AS Leveille CR Reimann KA Shu H Arias IM: The expression of P-glycoprotein in canine lymphoma and its association with multidrug resistance. Cancer Invest 199513:475-479.
3. Bergman PJ Ogilvie GK Powers BE: Monoclonal antibody C219 immunohistochemistry against P-glycoprotein: sequential analysis and predictive ability in dogs with lymphoma. J Vet Intern Med 199610:354-359.
4. Lee JJ Hughes CS Fine RL Page RL: P-glycoprotein expression in canine lymphoma: a relevant intermediate model of multidrug resistance. Cancer 199677:1892-1898.
5. Culmsee K Gruber AD von Samson-Himmelstjerna G Nolte I: Quantification of MDR-1 gene expression in canine tissues by real-time reverse transcription quantitative polymerase chain reaction. Res Vet Sci 200477:223-229.
6. Tomiyasu H Goto-Koshino Y Takahashi M Fujino Y Ohno K Tsujimoto H: Quantitative analysis of mRNA for 10 different drug resistance factors in dogs with lymphoma. J Vet Med Sci 201072:1165-1172.
7. Zandvliet M Teske E Schrickx JA Mol JA: A longitudinal study of ABC transporter expression in canine multicentric lymphoma. Vet J 2015205:263-271.
8. Lemmon MA Schlessinger J: Cell signaling by receptor tyrosine kinases. Cell 2010141:1117-1134.
9. London CA Malpas PB Wood-Follis SL Boucher JF Rusk AW Rosenberg MP Henry CJ Mitchener KL Klein MK Hintermeister JG Bergman PJ Couto GC Mauldin GN Michels GM: Multi-center placebo-controlled double-blind randomized study of oral toceranib phosphate (SU11654) a receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor for the treatment of dogs with recurrent (either local or distant) mast cell tumor following surgical excision. Clin Cancer Res 200915:3856-3865.
10. London C Mathie T Stingle N Clifford C Haney S Klein MK Beaver L Vickery K Vail DM Hershey B Ettinger S Vaughan A Alvarez F Hillman L Kiselow M Thamm D Higginbotham ML Gauthier M Krick E Phillips B Ladue T Jones P Bryan J Gill V Novasad A Fulton L Carreras J McNeill C Henry C Gillings S: Preliminary evidence for biologic activity of toceranib phosphate (Palladia((R))) in solid tumours. Vet Comp Oncol 201210:194-205.
11. Pan X Tsimbas K Kurzman ID Vail DM: Safety evaluation of combination CCNU and continuous toceranib phosphate (Palladia((R))) in tumour-bearing dogs: a phase I dose-finding study. Vet Comp Oncol 201614:202-209.
12. Zandvliet M Teske E Chapuis T Fink-Gremmels J Schrickx JA: Masitinib reverses doxorubicin resistance in canine lymphoid cells by inhibiting the function of P-glycoprotein. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 201336:583-587.
13. Llambi F Moldoveanu T Tait SW Bouchier-Hayes L Temirov J McCormick LL Dillon CP Green DR: A unified model of mammalian BCL-2 protein family interactions at the mitochondria. Mol Cell 201144:517-531.
14. Dettwiler M Croci M Vaughan L Guscetti F: Immunohistochemical expression study of proapoptotic BH3-only protein bad in canine nonneoplastic tissues and canine lymphomas. Vet Pathol 201350:789-796.
15. Jung JT Kim DH Kwak EK Kim JG Park TI Sohn SK Do YR Kwon KY Song HS Park EH Lee KB: Clinical role of Bcl-2 Bax or p53 overexpression in peripheral T-cell lymphomas. Ann Hematol 200685:575-581.
16. Koshino A Goto-Koshino Y Setoguchi A Ohno K Tsujimoto H: Mutation of p53 Gene and Its Correlation with the Clinical Outcome in Dogs with Lymphoma. J Vet Intern Med 201630:223-229.
17. Meichner K Fogle JE English L Suter SE: Expression of Apoptosis-regulating Proteins Bcl-2 and Bax in Lymph Node Aspirates from Dogs with Lymphoma. J Vet Intern Med 201630:819-826.
18. Sohn SK Jung JT Kim DH Kim JG Kwak EK Park T Shin DG Sohn KR Lee KB: Prognostic significance of bcl-2 bax and p53 expression in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Am J Hematol 200373:101-107.
19. Sirivisoot S Techangamsuwan S Tangkawattana S Rungsipipat A: Pax5 as a potential candidate marker for canine B-cell lymphoma. Vet Med (Praha) 201762:74-80.
20. Peters IR Peeters D Helps CR Day MJ: Development and application of multiple internal reference (housekeeper) gene assays for accurate normalisation of canine gene expression studies. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 2007117:55-66.
21. Del Puerto HL Martins AS Moro L Milsted A Alves F Braz GF Vasconcelos AC: Caspase-3/-8/-9 Bax and Bcl-2 expression in the cerebellum lymph nodes and leukocytes of dogs naturally infected with canine distemper virus. Genet Mol Res 20109:151-161.
22. Silver N Best S Jiang J Thein SL: Selection of housekeeping genes for gene expression studies in human reticulocytes using real-time PCR. BMC Mol Biol 20067:33.
23. Vandesompele J De Preter K Pattyn F Poppe B Van Roy N De Paepe A Speleman F: Accurate normalization of real-time quantitative RT-PCR data by geometric averaging of multiple internal control genes. Genome Biol 20023:RESEARCH0034.
24. Andersen CL Jensen JL Orntoft TF: Normalization of real-time quantitative reverse transcription-PCR data: a model-based variance estimation approach to identify genes suited for normalization applied to bladder and colon cancer data sets. Cancer Res 200464:5245-5250.
25. Pfaffl MW Tichopad A Prgomet C Neuvians TP: Determination of stable housekeeping genes differentially regulated target genes and sample integrity: BestKeeper--Excel-based tool using pair-wise correlations. Biotechnol Lett 200426:509-515.
26. Xie F Xiao P Chen D Xu L Zhang B: miRDeepFinder: a miRNA analysis tool for deep sequencing of plant small RNAs. Plant Mol Biol 2012.
27. Saba CF Thamm DH Vail DM: Combination chemotherapy with L-asparaginase lomustine and prednisone for relapsed or refractory canine lymphoma. J Vet Intern Med 200721:127-132.
28. London CA Hannah AL Zadovoskaya R Chien MB Kollias-Baker C Rosenberg M Downing S Post G Boucher J Shenoy N Mendel DB McMahon G Cherrington JM: Phase I dose-escalating study of SU11654 a small molecule receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor in dogs with spontaneous malignancies. Clin Cancer Res 20039:2755-2768.
29. Houghton PJ Germain GS Harwood FC Schuetz JD Stewart CF Buchdunger E Traxler P: Imatinib mesylate is a potent inhibitor of the ABCG2 (BCRP) transporter and reverses resistance to topotecan and SN-38 in vitro. Cancer Res 200464:2333-2337.
30. Tiwari AK Sodani K Wang SR Kuang YH Ashby CR Jr. Chen X Chen ZS: Nilotinib (AMN107 Tasigna) reverses multidrug resistance by inhibiting the activity of the ABCB1/Pgp and ABCG2/BCRP/MXR transporters. Biochem Pharmacol 200978:153-161.
31. Sen R Natarajan K Bhullar J Shukla S Fang HB Cai L Chen ZS Ambudkar SV Baer MR: The novel BCR-ABL and FLT3 inhibitor ponatinib is a potent inhibitor of the MDR-associated ATP-binding cassette transporter ABCG2. Mol Cancer Ther 201211:2033-2044.
32. Chimura N Shibata S Kimura T Kondo N Mori T Hoshino Y Kamishina H Maeda S: Suitable reference genes for quantitative real-time rt-pcr in total RNA extracted from canine whole blood using the PAXgene system. J Vet Med Sci 201173:1101-1104.
33. Gulmann C Espina V Petricoin E 3rd Longo DL Santi M Knutsen T Raffeld M Jaffe ES Liotta LA Feldman AL: Proteomic analysis of apoptotic pathways reveals prognostic factors in follicular lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res 200511:5847-5855.
34. Frantz AM Sarver AL Ito D Phang TL Karimpour-Fard A Scott MC Valli VE Lindblad-Toh K Burgess KE Husbands BD Henson MS Borgatti A Kisseberth WC Hunter LE Breen M O'Brien TD Modiano JF: Molecular profiling reveals prognostically significant subtypes of canine lymphoma. Vet Pathol 201350:693-703.
35. Valli VE Kass PH San Myint M Scott F: Canine lymphomas: association of classification type disease stage tumor subtype mitotic rate and treatment with survival. Vet Pathol 201350:738-748.
36. Tainton KM Smyth MJ Jackson JT Tanner JE Cerruti L Jane SM Darcy PK Johnstone RW: Mutational analysis of P-glycoprotein: suppression of caspase activation in the absence of ATP-dependent drug efflux. Cell Death Differ 200411:1028-1037.
37. Gollapud S Gupta S: Anti-P-glycoprotein antibody-induced apoptosis of activated peripheral blood lymphocytes: a possible role of P-glycoprotein in lymphocyte survival. J Clin Immunol 200121:420-430.
38. Luciano F Ricci JE Herrant M Bertolotto C Mari B Cousin JL Auberger P: T and B leukemic cell lines exhibit different requirements for cell death: correlation between caspase activation DFF40/DFF45 expression DNA fragmentation and apoptosis in T cell lines but not in Burkitt's lymphoma. Leukemia 200216:700-707.
39. Bram EE Stark M Raz S Assaraf YG: Chemotherapeutic drug-induced ABCG2 promoter demethylation as a novel mechanism of acquired multidrug resistance. Neoplasia 200911:1359-1370.
40. Bai M Skyrlas A Agnantis NJ Kamina S Kitsoulis P Kanavaros P: Cluster analysis of apoptosis-associated bcl2 family proteins in diffuse large B-cell lymphomas. Relations with the apoptotic index the proliferation profile and the B-cell differentiation immunophenotypes. Anticancer Res 200424:3081-3088.
41. Cayrol F Praditsuktavorn P Fernando TM Kwiatkowski N Marullo R Calvo-Vidal MN Phillip J Pera B Yang SN Takpradit K Roman L Gaudiano M Crescenzo R Ruan J Inghirami G Zhang T Cremaschi G Gray NS Cerchietti L: THZ1 targeting CDK7 suppresses STAT transcriptional activity and sensitizes T-cell lymphomas to BCL2 inhibitors. Nat Commun 20178:14290.