The presence of porcine circovirus 2 and porcine parvovirus was examined in forty clinical samples of spleen, lymph nodes and lungs originating from non-vaccinated swine by polymerase chain reaction. All animals were reared in extensive livestock farming systems in different geographical districts of Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Porcine circovirus 2 DNA was detected in four lymph node and two spleen samples (15%), while porcine parvovirus DNA was identified in five lymph node samples (12.5%). The presence of both viruses was detected in three lymph node samples (7.5%). Partial nucleotide sequence of ORF1 gene of 2 porcine circovirus 2 and VP2 gene of 2 porcine parvovirus isolates was determined. The nucleotide sequences of two PCV2 isolates from RS-BIH included in phylogenetic typing are similar and cluster together with the strain Mantova isolated from domestic pigs in Italy, strains DE006-14 and DE222-13 isolated from pigs in Germany as well as with the strain Jvnan isolated from pigs in China. Also, analyzed PCV2 isolates were partially similar to the strain NIV-C SRB isolated from pigs in Serbia. The nucleotide sequences of two PPV isolates that were included in phylogenetic typing showed a high level of similarity with the strain Challenge isolated from pigs in UK, strain Kresse isolated from pigs in USA and strains 77 and LZ isolated from pigs in China.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Wei C Zhang M Chen Y Xie J Huang Z Zhu W Xu T Cao Z Zhou P Su S Zhang G: Genetic evolution and phylogenetic analysis of porcine circovirus type 2 infections in southern China from 2011 to 2012. Infect Genet Evol 2013 17:87-92.
2. Haley C Wagner B Puvanendiran S Abrahante J Murtaugh MP: Diagnostic performance measures of ELISA and quantitative PCR tests for porcine circovirus type 2 exposure using Bayesian latent class analysis. Prev Vet Med 2011 101:79-88.
3. Segales J: Porcine circovirus type 2 (PCV2) infections: Clinical signs pathology and laboratory diagnosis. Virus Res 2012 164:10-19.
4. Marks FS Reck J Almeida LL Berger M Corre AMR Driemeier D Barcellos D Guimara JA Termignoni C Canal CW: Porcine circovirus 2 (PCV2) induces a procoagulant state in naturally infected swine and in cultured endothelial cells. Vet Microbiol 2010 141:22-30.
5. Chang CY Deng MC Wang F Tsai H Yang C Chang C Huang Y: The application of a duplex reverse transcription real-time PCR for the surveillance of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus and porcine circovirus type 2. J Virol Methods 2014 201:13-19.
6. Grau-Rama L Segales J: Detection of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus porcine circovirus type 2 swine infl uenza virus and Aujeszky’s disease virus in cases of porcine proliferative and necrotizing pneumonia (PNP) in Spain. Vet Microbiol 2007 119:144-151.
7. Liu JK Wei CH Zang XY Dai AL Li XH: Multiplex PCR for the simultaneous detection of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus classical swine fever virus and porcine circovirus in pigs. Mol Cell Probes 2013 27:149-152.
8. Toplak I Lazić S Lupulović D Prodanov-Radulović J Becskei Z Došen R Petrović T: Study of the genetic variability of porcine Circovirus type 2 detected in Serbia and Slovenia. Acta Vet Hungarica 2012 60:409-420.
9. Becskei Z Aleksić - Kovačević S Rusvai M Balka G Jakab C Petrović T Knežević M: Distribution of porcine circovirus 2 Cap antigen in the lymphoid tissue of pigs affected by postweaning multisystemic wasting syndrome. Acta Vet Hungarica 2010 58:483-498.
10. Cadar D Dan A Tombacz K Lorincz M Kiss T Becskei Z Spinua M Tuboly T Csagola A: Phylogeny and evolutionary genetics of porcine parvovirus in wild boars. Infect Genet Evol 2012 12:1163-1171.
11. Dias AS Gerber PF Araujo AS Auler PA Gallinari GC Lobato ZIP: Lack of antibody protection against Porcine circovirus 2 and Porcine parvovirus in naturally infected dams and their offspring. Res Vet Sci 2013 94:341-345.
12. Chen HY Li XK Cui BA Wei ZY Li XS Wang YB Zhai L Wang ZY: A TaqMan-based real-time polymerase chain reaction for the detection of porcine parvovirus. J Virol Methods 2009 156:84-88.
13. Ogawa H Taira O Hirai T Takeuchi H Nagao A Ishikawa Y Tuchiya K Nunoya T Ueda S: Multiplex PCR and multiplex RT-PCR for inclusive detection of major swine DNA and RNA viruses in pigs with multiple infections. J Virol Methods 2009 160:210-214.
14. Nišavić J Milić N Knežević A: Laboratorijska dijagnostika virusnih infekcija. In:Izolacija virusa u kulturi ćelija. Beograd Srbija: Naučna KMD; 2013 34-36.
15. Nišavić J Milić N: Examination of the activity of glycoprotein HN and F antigens of outer envelope of the parainfl uenza virus type 3 by using fusional hemolytic and hemagglutinating test in vitro. Acta Vet-Beograd 2006 56:431-436.
16. Savić B Radanović O Jovičić D Nešić K Ivanović S Stevančević O Cvetojević Đ Kasagić D: Survey of infectious agents associated with porcine respiratory disease complex (PRDC) in Serbian swine herds using polymerase chain reaction (PCR) detection. Acta Vet-Beograd 2015 65:79-88.
17. Soares RM Durigon EL Bersano JG Richtzenhain LJ: Detection of porcine parvovirus DNA by the polymerase chain reaction assay using primers to the highly conserved nonstructural protein gene NS-1. J Virol Methods 1999 78:191-198.
18. Henriques AM Duarte M Fagulha T Ramos F Barros SC Luis T Fevereiro M: Molecular study of porcine circovirus type 2 circulating in Portugal. Infect Genet Evol 2011 11:2162-2172.
19. Ramos N Mirazo S Castro G Arbiza J: Molecular analysis of Porcine Circovirus Type 2 strains from Uruguay: Evidence for natural occurring recombination. Infect Genet Evol 2013 19:23-31.
20. Chae C: Porcine circovirus 2 and its associated diseases in Korea. Virus Res 2012 164:107-113.
21. Xu YG Cui LC Wang HW Huo GC Li SL: Characterization of the capsid protein VP2 gene of a virulent strain NE/09 of porcine parvovirus isolated in China. Res Vet Sci 2013 94:219-224.