Thelazia callipaeda is a parasitic nematode causing ocular infections in different mammalian species and humans, clinically manifested as lacrimation, conjunctivitis, keratitis, corneal opacity or corneal ulcer. In this paper, we reported six cases of autochthonous canine and feline thelaziosis on different localities in Serbia. Total of 285 parasites (85 males and 200 females) were collected from the eyes of infected animals (n=6) suffering from uni- or bilateral conjunctivitis, with the number of parasites ranging from 7 to 150 per animal. All parasites were morphologically identified as T. callipaeda, while molecular analyses of cytochrome oxidase 1 (cox1) gene revealed the presence of h1 haplotype, as the unique previously reported in other studies in Europe. Since T. callipaeda is a newly detected parasite in Serbia with the infective potential for humans, there is a necessity for animal owners education and cooperation among professional services in order to control this zoonosis.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Otranto D Traversa D: Thelazia eyeworm: an original endo- and ecto-parasitic nematode. Trends Parasitol 2005 21:1-4.
2. Otranto D Dantas-Torres F Mallia E DiGeronimo PM Brianti E Testini G Traversa D Lia RP: Thelazia callipaeda (Spirurida Thelaziidae) in wild animals: Report of new host species and ecological implications. Vet Parasitol 2009 166:262 267.
3. Anderson RC: The superfamily Thelazioidea. In: Nematode parasites of vertebrates: Their development and transmission 2nd edn. Guilford United Kingdom: CABI Publishing; 2000 404-407.
4. Rossi L Bertaglia P: Presence of Thelazia callipaeda Railliet & Henry 1910 in Piedmont Italy. Parassitologia 1989 31:167-172.
5. Otranto D Ferroglio E Lia RP Traversa D Rossi L: Current status and epidemiological observation of Thelazia callipaeda (Spirurida Thelaziidae) in dogs cats and foxes in Italy: a “coincidence“ or a parasitic disease of the Old Continent? Vet Parasitol 2003 116:315-325.
6. Chermette R Guillot J Bussiéras J: Canine ocular thelaziosis in Europe. Vet Rec 2004 21:248.
7. Hermosilla C Herrmann B Bauer C: First case of Thelazia callipaeda infection in a dog in Germany. Vet Rec 2004 154:568-569.
8. Dorchies Ph Chaudieu G Siméon LA Cazalot G Cantacessi C Otranto D: First report of autochthonous eyeworm infection by Thelazia callipaeda (Spirurida Thelaziidae) in dogs and cat from France. Vet Parasitol 2007 149:294-297.
9. Magnis J Naucke TJ Mathis A Deplazes P Schnyder M: Local transmission of the eye worm Thelazia callipaeda in southern Germany. Parasitol Res 2010 106:715-717.
10. Malacrida F Hegglin D Bacciarini L Otranto D Nägeli F Nägeli C Bernasconi C Scheu U Balli A Marenco M Togni L Deplazes P Schnyder M: Emergence of canine ocular thelaziosis caused by Thelazia callipaeda in southern Switzerland. Vet Parasitol 2008 157:321-327.
11. Calero-Bernal R Otranto D Pérez-Martín JE Serrano FJ Reina D: First report of Thelazia callipaeda in wildlife from Spain. J Wildlife Dis 2013 49:458-460.
12. Caron Y Premont J Losson B Grauwels M: Thelazia callipaeda ocular infection in two dogs in Belgium. J Small Anim Pract 2013 54:205-208.
13. Pimenta P Cardoso L Pereira MJ Maltez L Coutinho T Alves MS Otranto D: Canine ocular thelaziosis caused by Thelazia callipaeda in Portugal. Vet Ophthalmol 2013 16:312-315.
14. Soares C Sousa SR Anastácio S Goreti MM Marquês I Mascarenhas S João Vieira M Madeira de Carvalho L Otranto D: Feline thelaziosis caused by Thelazia callipaeda in Portugal. Vet Parasitol 2013 196:528-531.
15. Vieira L Rodrigues TF Costa Á Diz-Lopes D Machado J Coutinho T Tuna J Latrofa MS Cardoso L Otranto D: First report of canine ocular thelaziosis by Thelazia callipaeda in Portugal. Parasite Vector 2012 5:124.
16. Otranto D Dutto M: Human thelaziosis Europe. Emerg Infect Dis 2008 14:647-649.
17. Fuentes I Montes I Saugar JM Latrofa S Gárate T Otranto D: Thelaziosis in humans a zoonotic infection Spain 2011. Emerg Infect Dis 2012 18:2073-2075.
18. Otranto D Lia RP Cantacessi C Testini G Troccoli A Shen JL Wang ZX: Nematode biology and larval development of Thelazia callipaeda (Spirurida Thelaziidae) in drosophilid intermediate host in Europe and China. Parasitology 2005 131:847-855.
19. Otranto D Cantacessi C Testini G Lia RP: Phortica variegata as an intermediate host of Thelazia callipaeda under natural conditions: Evidence for pathogen transmission by a male arthropod vector. Int J Parasitol 2006 36:1167-1173.
20. Skrjabin KI Sobolev AA Ivashkin VM: Spirurata of animals and man and the disease caused by them. Part 4: Thelazioidea. In: Essential of Nematodology. Vol. XVI. Moscow USSR: Academy of Sciences of the USSR; 1967 8-58.
21. Otranto D Lia RP Traversa D Giannetto S: Thelazia callipaeda (Spirurida Thelaziidae) of carnivores and humans: morphological study by light and scanning electron microscopy. Parassitologia 2003 45:125-133.
22. Otranto D Testini G De Luca F Hu M Shamsi S Gasser RB: Analysis of genetic variability within Thelazia callipaeda (Nematoda: Thelazioidea) from Europe and Asia by sequencing and mutation scanning of the mitochondrial cytochrome c oxydase subunit 1 gene. Mol Cell Probe 2005 19:306-313.
23. Casiraghi M Anderson TJC Bandi C Bazzocchi C Genchi C: A phylogenetic analysis of filarial nematodes: comparison with the phylogeny of Wolbachia endosymbionts. Parasitology 2001 122:93-103.
24. Hall TA: BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucl Acid S 1999 41:95-98.
25. Thompson JD Higgins DG Gibson TJ: CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through weighting position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix. Nucleic Acid Res 1994 22:4673-4680.
26. Miro G Montoya A Hernández L Dado D Vázquez MV Benito M Villagrasa M Brianti E Otranto D: Thelazia callipaeda: infection in dogs: a new parasite for Spain. Parasite Vector 2011 4:148.
27. Otranto D Brianti E Cantacessi C Lia RP Maca J: The zoophilic fruitfl y Phortica variegata: morphology ecology and biological niche. Med Vet Entomol 2006 20:358-364.
28. Motta B Nägeli F Nägeli C Solari-Basano F Schiessl B Deplazes P Schnyder M: Epidemiology of the eye worm Thelazia callipaeda in cats from southern Switzerland. Vet Parasitol 2014 203:287-293.