This study was carried out to determine polymorphisms of four genes in South Anatolian Red (SAR) and East Anatolian Red (EAR) indigenous cattle breeds in Turkey. Single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) monitored in this study are Y581S in ATP binding cassette sub family G member 2 (ABCG2) gene, c.1892T>C and c.3359A>C in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha (PPARGC1A) gene and g.8232C>A in oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor 1 (OLR1) gene. The frequency of the ancestral allele A of the ABCG2 gene Y581S polymorphism was found to be very high (SAR: 0.63; EAR: 0.64) in both cattle breeds. The CC genotypes of PPARGC1A gene c.1892T>C (SAR: 0.65; EAR: 0.80) and OLR1 gene g.8232C>A polymorphisms (SAR: 0.82; EAR: 0.86), which are associated with high milk fat percentage, had higher frequencies than those of the other genotypes. In conclusion, we might suggest that the allele distribution of the ABCG2 gene Y581S polymorphism can be the evidence indicating autosomal gene flow from zebu cattle to SAR and EAR cattle breeds.
1. Farke C, Mayer HH, Bruckmaier RM, Albrecht C: Differential expression of ABC transporters and their regulatory genes during lactation and dry period in bovine mammary tissue. J Dairy Sci 2008, 75:406-414.
2. Van Herwaarden AE, Wagenaar E, Merino G, Jonker JW, Rosing H, Beijnen JH, Schinkel AH: Multidrug transporter ABCG2/breast cancer resistance protein secretes ribofl avin (vitamin B2) into milk. Mol Cell Biol 2007, 27:1247-1253.
3. Cohen-Zinder M, Seroussi E, Larkin DM, Loor JJ, Everts-van der Wind A, Lee JH: Identifi cation of a missense mutation in the bovine ABCG2 gene with a major effect on the QTL on chromosome 6 affecting milk yield and composition in Holstein cattle. Genome Res 2005, 15:936-944.
4. Puigserver P: Tissue-spesifi c regulation of metabolic pathways trough the transcriptional coactivator PGC1-alpha. Int J Obes 2005, 29:5-9.
5. Linang H, Ward WF: PGC-1alpha: a key regulator of energy metabolism. Adv Physiol Educ 2006, 30:145-151.
6. Weikard R, Kühn C, Goldammer T, Freyer G, Schwerin M: The bovine PPARGC1A gene: molecular characterization and association of an SNP with variation of milk fat synthesis. Physiol Genomics, 2005, 21:1-13
7. Khatip H, Zaitoun I, Wiebelhaus-Finger J, Chang YM, Rosa GJM: The association of bovine PPARGC1A and OPN genes with milk composition in two independent Holstein cattle populations. J Dairy Sci 2007, 90:2966-2970.
8. Komisarek J, Dorynek Z: Effect of ABCG2, PPARGC1A, OLR1 and SCD1 gene polymorphism on estimated breeding values for functional and production traits in polish Holstein-Friesian bulls. J Appl Genet 2009, 50:125-132.
9. Metha JL, Li D: Identifi cation, regulation and function of a novel lectin-like oxidized lowdensity lipoprotein receptor. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002, 39:1429-1435.
10. Khatip H, Leonard SD, Schutzkus V, Luo W, Chang YM: Association of the OLR1 gene with milk composition in Holstein dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci 2006, 89:1753-1760.
11. Miller M, Dykes DD, Polesky HF: A simple salting out procedure for extracting DNA from human nucleated cells. Nucleic Acids Res 1985, 16:1215-1219.
12. Yeh, F, Yang RC, Boyle T: Popgene (v. 1.32): Microsoft Windows-based freeware for Population Genetic Analysis. [http://www.ualberta.ca/~fyeh/popgene_download.html]
13. Khatkar MS, Thomson PC, Imke T, Herman WR: QTL mapping in dairy cattle: review and meta-analysis. Genet Sel Evol 2004, 36:163-190.
14. Ron M, Cohen-Zinder, M, Peter C, Weller JI, Erhardt GA: Polymorphism in ABCG2 in Bos indicus and Bos taurus cattle breeds. J Dairy Sci 2006, 89:4921-4923.
15. Tantia MS, Vijh RK, Mishra BP, Mishra B, Kumar B, Sodhi M: DGAT I and ABCG2 polymorphism in Indian cattle (Bos indicus) and Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) breeds. BMC Vet Res 2006, 2:1-5.
16. Akis I, Oztabak K: Bos indicus associated alleles in Anatolian cattle breeds support zebu introgression into Near East. J Biol Res -Thessalon 2013, 19:131-138.
17. Edwards CJ, Baird JF, MacHugh DE: Taurine and Zebu admixture in Near Eastern cattle: A comparison of mitochondrial, autosomal and Y-chromosomal data. Anim Genet 2007, 38:520-524.
18. Alim MA, Fan Y, Xie Y, Xiaoping W, Sun D, Zhang Y, Zhang S, Zhang Y, Zhang Q, Liu L: Single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) in PPARGC1A gene associates milk production traits in Chinese Holstein Cattle. Pak Vet J 2012, 32:609-612.
19. Komisarek J, Walendowska A: Analysis of the PPARGC1A gene as a potantial marker for productive and reproduktive traits in cattle. Folia Biol-Karakow 2012, 60:171-174.
20. Kowalewska-Luczak I, Kulig H, Kmiec M: Associations between the bovine PPARGC1A gene and milk production traits. Czech J Anim Sci 2010, 55:195-199.
21. Schennink A, Bovenhuis H, Leon-Koosterziel KM, van Arendonk, JAM, Visker MHPW: Effect of polymorphisms in the FASN, OLR1, PPARGC1A, PRL and STAT5A genes on bovine milk-fat composition. Anim Genet 2009, 40:909-916.