This study explores the use of a statistical model to build a design space for freeze-drying two formulations with ibuprofen. A 2 × 3 factorial experimental design was used to evaluate independent variables (filling volume and annealing time) and responses as residual moisture content, specific surface area and reconstitution time. A statistical model and response surface plots were generated to define the interactions among the selected variables. The models constructed for both formulations suggest that 1 mL of filled volume and no annealing should be used to achieve optimal residual moisture content, specific surface area and reconstitution time. The proposed models were validated with additional experiments, in which the responses observed were mainly in close agreement with the predicted ones. Additionally, the established models demonstrate the reliability of the evaluation procedure in predicting the selected responses.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. A. R. Fernandes, N. R. Ferreira, J. F. Fangueiro, A. C. Santos, F. J. Veiga, C. Cabral, A. M. Silva and E. B. Souto, Ibuprofen nanocrystals developed by 22 factorial design experiment: A new approach for poorly water-soluble drugs, Saudi Pharm. J.25 (2017) 1117–1124; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsps.2017.07.004
2. J. Nerurkar, J. W. Beach, M. O. Park and H. W. Jun, Solubility of (±)-ibuprofen and S (+)-ibuprofen in the presence of cosolvents and cyclodextrins, Pharm. Dev. Technol.10 (2005) 413–421; https://doi.org/10.1081/PDT-54446
3. K. Stoyanova, Z. Vinarov and S. Tcholakova, Improving ibuprofen solubility by surfactant-facilitated self-assembly into mixed micelles, J. Drug. Deliv. Sci. Tec.36 (2016) 208–215; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jddst.2016.10.011
4. M. Preskar, T. Vrbanec, F. Vrečer, P. Šket, J. Plavec and M. Gašperlin, Solubilization of ibuprofen for freeze dried parenteral dosage forms, Acta Pharm.69 (2019) 17–32; https://doi.org/10.2478/acph-2019-0009
7. S. Roy, C. Ruitberg and A. Sethuraman, Troubleshooting during the manufacture of lyophilized drug product – Being prepared for the unexpected, Am. Pharm. Rev.15 (2012).
8. T. R. M. De Beer, M. Wiggenhorn, A. Hawe, J. C. Kasper, A. Almeida, T. Quinten, W. Friess, G. Winter, C. Vervaet and J. P. Remon, Optimization of a pharmaceutical freeze-dried product and its process using experimental design approach and innovative process analyzers, Talanta83 (2011) 1623–1633; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2010.11.051
10. International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals and Human use, ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guidelines: Pharmaceutical development Q8 (R2), Current Step 4 version, August 2009; https://database.ich.org/sites/default/files/Q8_R2_Guideline.pdf; access date, September 20, 2018.
11. V. K. Mourya, Y. Choudhari and M. Padame, Quality by Design: Impact of product variables and their interaction on the particle size in lyophilization of sodium fluoride, Soft Nanosci. Let.6 (2016) 1–10; http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/snl.2016.61001
12. J. Sundaram, Y-H. M. Shay, S. U. Sane and C. C. Hsu, Design space development for lyophilization using Doe and process modelling, Biopharm. Int.23 (2010) 26–36;
13. V. R. Koganti, E. Y. Shalaev, M. R. Berry, T. Osterberg, M. Youssef, D. N. Hiebert, F. A. Kanka, M. Nolan, R. Barrett, G. Scalzo, G. Fitzpatrick, N. Fitzgibbon, S. Luthra and L. Zhang, Investigation of design space for freeze-drying: Use of modeling for primary drying segment of a freeze-drying cycle, AAPS PharmSciTech. 12 (2011) 854–861; https://doi.org/10.1208/s12249-011-9645-7
14. A. G. Martinez, B. E. Rodrigez, A. P. Roca and A. M. Ruiz, Intravenous ibuprofen for treatment of post-operative pain: A multicenter, double blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial, PloS One11 (2016) 1–16; https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0154004
15. D. Awotwe-Otto, C. Agarabi and M. A. Khan, An integrated process analytical technology (PAT) approach to monitoring the effect of supercooling on lyophilization product and process parameters of model monoclonal antibody formulations, J. Pharm. Sci.103 (2014) 2042–2052; https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.24005
16. S. M. Patel, S. L. Nail, M. J. Pikal, R. Geidobler, G. Winter, A. Hawe, J. Davagnino and S. R. Gupta, Lyophilized drug product cake appearance: What is acceptable, J. Pharm. Sci.106 (2017) 1706–1721; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.xphs.2017.03.014
17. J. C. Kasper and W. Friess, The freezing step in lyophilisation: Physico-chemical fundamentals, freezing methods and consequences on process performance and quality attributes of biopharmaceuticals, Eur. J. Pharmaceut. Biopharmaceut.78 (2011) 248–263; http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpb.2011.03.010
18. E. Meister, A significant comparison between collapse and glass transition temperatures, Eur. Pharm. Rev.13 (2008) 73–79.
19. J. Horn and W. Friess, Detection of collapse and crystallization of saccharide, protein and mannitol formulations by optical fibers in lyophilization, Front. Chem.6 (2018) 1–9; https://doi.org/10.3389/fchem.2018.00004
20. G. Assegehegn, E. B.- de la Fuente, J. M. Franco and C. Gallegos, The importance of understanding the freezing step and its impact on freeze-drying process performance, J. Pharm. Sci.108 (2019) 1378–1395; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.xphs.2018.11.039
21. S. M. Patel, C. Bhugra and M. J. Pikal, Reduced Pressure Ice Fog technique for controlled ice nucleation during freeze-drying, AAPS PharmSciTech10 (2009) 1406–1411; https://doi.org/10.1208/s12249-009-9338-7
24. G. Smith, M. S. Arshad, E. Polygalov and I. Ermolina, Through-vial impedance spectroscopy of the mechanisms of annealing in the freeze-drying of maltodextrin: The impact of annealing hold time and temperature on the primary drying rate, J. Pharm. Sci.103 (2014) 1799–1810; https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.23982
27. X. Lu and M. J. Pikal, Freeze-drying of mannitol-trehalose-sodium chloride-based formulations: The impact of annealing on dry layer resistance to mass transfer and cake structure, Pharm. Dev. Technol.9 (2004) 85–95; https://doi.org/10.1081/PDT-120027421
28. L. Rey and J. C. May, Freeze Drying/Lyophilization of Pharmaceutical and Biological Products, 3rd ed., Informa Healthcare, New York, London 2011.
29. G. Smith, E. Polygalov, M. S. Arshad, T. Page, J. Taylor and I. Ermolina, An impedance-based process analytical technology for monitoring the lyophilisation process, Int. J. Pharm.449 (2013) 72–83; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm,2013.03.060