Fenugreek seeds are known as a source of various compounds, the most common of which are steroidal saponins. However, despite the growing interest in this plant material as a healing agent, spice and dietary supplement ingredient, the composition of Polish fenugreek seeds remains unknown. Therefore, the steroidal saponin complex in the seeds of T. foenum-graecum cultivated in Poland was qualitatively and quantitatively analyzed by the HPLC-ELSDESI-MS method. Two C-18 columns connected in series were used for the first time in analysis of fenugreek saponins and ELS detector parameters were optimized. A total of 26 furostanol saponins were revealed, of which 24 were tentatively identified. The HPLC-ELSD method developed for quantitative analysis was preliminarily validated and the determined amount of steroidal saponins in Polish fenugreek seeds was 0.14 %.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. B. Król-Kogus D. Głód M. Krauze-Baranowska and I. Matławska Application of one-and two-dimensional high-performance liquid chromatography methodologies for the analysis of C-glycosylflavones from fenugreek seeds J. Chrom. A1367 (2014) 48–56; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2014.09.039
2. J. Wang W. Jiang Z. Liu T. Fu and Y. Wang Analysis and identification of chemical constituents of fenugreek by UPLC-IT-MSn and UPLC-Q-TOF-MS Chem. Res. Chin. Univ. 33 (2017) 721–730; https://doi.org/10.1007/s40242-017-7136-4
3. V. Mathur and N. K. Mathur Fenugreek and other lesser known legume galactomannan-polysaccharides: Scope for developments J. Sci. Ind. Res.64 (2005) 475–481.
4. X. Pang L. Kang H. Yu Y. Zhao C. Xiong J. Zhang J. Shan and B. P. Ma Rapid isolation of new furostanol saponins from fenugreek seeds based on ultra-performance liquid chromatography coupled with a hybrid quadrupole time-of-flight tandem mass spectrometry J. Sep. Sci.35 (2012) 1538–1550; https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201200020
5. X. Pang Y. Cong H. S. Yu L. P. Kang B. Feng B. X. Han Y. Zhao C. Xiong D. Tan W. Song B. Liu Y. Cong and B. P. Ma Spirostanol saponins derivated from the seeds of Trigonella foenumgraecum by α-glucosidase hydrolysis and their inhibitory effects on rat platelet aggregation Planta Med.78 (2012) 276–285; https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0031-1280373
6. L. P. Kang Y. Zhao X. Pang H. S. Yu C. Q. Xiong J. Zhang Y. Gao K. Yu C. Liu and B. Ma Characterization and identification of steroidal saponins from the seeds of Trigonella foenum-graecum by ultra high-performance liquid chromatography and hybrid time-of-flight mass spectrometry J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal.74 (2013) 257–267; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2012.11.005
7. T. Murakami A. Kishi H. Matsuda and M. Yoshikawa Medicinal foodstuffs. XVII. Fenugreek seed. (3): Structures of new furostanol-type steroid saponins trigoneosides Xa Xb XIb XIIa XIIb and XIIIa from the seeds of egyptian Trigonella foenum-graecum L. Chem. Pharm. Bull.48 (2000) 994–1000; https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.48.994
8. M. Yoshikawa T. Murakami H. Komatsu N. Murakami J. Yamahara and H. Matsuda Medicinal foodstuffs. IV. Fenugreek seed. (1): Structures of trigoneosides Ia Ib IIa IIb IIIa and IIIb new furostanol saponins from the seeds of Indian Trigonella foenum-graecum L Chem. Pharm. Bull.45 (1997) 81–87; https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.45.81
9. M. Yoshikawa T. Murakami H. Komatsu J. Yamahara and H. Matsuda Medicinal foodstuffs. VIII.1 Fenugreek seed. (2): Structures of six new furostanol saponins trigoneosides IVa Va Vb VI VIIb and VIIIb from the seeds of Indian Trigonella foenum-graecum L. Heterocycles47 (1998) 397–405; https://doi.org/10.1002/chin.199816214
10. X. Pang H. S. Yu L. P. Kang B. Feng Y. Zhao C. Q. Xiong D. W. Tan D W. Song W B. Liu and B. P. Ma Two new furostanol saponins from the seeds of Trigonella foenum-graecumJ. Asian Nat. Prod. Res.13 (2011) 611–617; https://doi.org/10.1080/10286020.2011.579073
11. R. K. Gupta D. C. Jain and R. S. Thakur Furostanol glycosides from Trigonella foenum-graecum seeds Phytochemistry24 (1985) 2399–2401; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(00)83050-2
12. V. K. Saxena and A. Shalem Yamogenin 3-O-b-D-glucopyranosyl (1®4)-O-α-D-xylopyranoside from the seeds of Trigonella foenum-graecumJ. Chem. Sci. 116 (2004) 79–82; https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02708199
13. T. Kawasaki T. Komori and K. Miyahara Furostanol bisglycosides corresponding to dioscin and gracillin Chem. Pharm. Bull.22 (1974) 2164–2175; https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.22.2164
14. H. Hibasami H. Moteki K. Ishikawa H. Katsuzaki K. Imai K. Yoshioka Y. Ishii and T. Komiya Protodioscin isolated from fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum L.) induces cell death and morphological change indicative of apoptosis in leukemic cell line H-60 but not in gastric cancer cell line KATO III Int. J. Mol. Med.11 (2003) 23–26; https://doi.org/10.3892/ijmm.11.1.23
15. N. G. Bogacheva V. P. Kiselev and L. M. Kogan Isolation of 326-bisglycoside of yamogenin from Trigonella foenum-graecumChem. Nat. Comp.12 (1976) 242–243.
16. R. K. Gupta D. C. Jain and R. S. Thakur Furostanol glycosides from Trigonella foenum-graecum seeds Phytochemistry 23 (1984) 2605–2607; https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00566366
17. P. R. Petit Y. D. Sauvaire D. M. Hillaire-Buys O. M. Leconte Y. G. Baissac G. R. Ponsin and G. R. Ribes Steroid saponins from fenugreek seeds: Extraction purification and pharmacological investigation on feeding behavior and plasma cholesterol Steroids60 (1995) 674–680; https://doi.org/10.1016/0039-128X(95)00090-D
18. A. M. Leal-Díaz L. Santos-Zea H. C. Martínez-Escobedo D. Guajardo-Flores J. A. Gutiérrez-Uribe and S. O. Serna-Saldivar Effect of Agave americana and Agave salmiana ripeness on saponin content from aguamiel (Agave Sap) J. Agric. Food Chem.63 (2015) 3924–3930; https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.5b00883
19. M. Tenon N. Feuillère M. Roller and S. Birtić Rapid cost-effective and accurate quantification of Yucca schidigera Roezl. steroidal saponins using HPLC-ELSD method Food Chem. 221 (2017) 1245–1252; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.11.033
20. X. Zhang J. Liang J. Liu Y. Zhao J. Gao W. Sun and Y. Ito Quality control and identification of steroid saponins from Dioscorea zingiberensis C. H. Wright by fingerprint with HPLC-ELSD and HPLC-ESI-quadrupole/time-of-fight tandem mass spectrometry J. Pharm. Biol. Anal.91 (2014) 46–59; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2013.11.023
21. K. Taketani S. Hoshino T. Uemura T. Goto N. Takahashi N. Tsuge and T. Kawada An efficient purification method for quantitative determinations of protodioscin dioscin and diosgenin in plasma of fenugreek-fed mice J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol.61 (2015) 465–470; https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.61.465
22. K. Variya and V. Parmar A validated high–performance thin–layer chromatographic method for the quantitation of protodioscin in Trigonella foenum–graecum and its herbal formulations J. Planar. Chromatogr. – Mod. TLC28 (2015) 458–465; https://doi.org/10.1556/1006.2015.28.6.7
23. F. R. Lu L. Shen Y. Qin and L. Gao Clinical observation of Trigonella foenum-graecum saponin combining sulphanylureas on 36 cases of type 2 diabetes mellitus Chin. J. Integr. Med.33 (2008) 184–187; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11655-007-9005-3
24. T. Kawabata M.-Y. Cui T. Hasegawa F. Takano and T. Ohta Anti-inflammatory and anti-melanogenic steroidal saponin glycosides from fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum L.) seeds Planta Med.77 (2011) 705–710; https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0030-1250477
25. W. Oleszek and Z. Bialy Chromatographic determination of plant saponins – An update (2002–2005) J. Chrom. A1112 (2006) 78–91; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2006.01.037
26. D. J. Yang T. J. Lu and L. S. Hwang Simultaneous determination of furostanol and spirostanol glycosides in Taiwanese yam (Dioscorea spp.) cultivars by high performance liquid chromatography J. Food Drug Anal.11 (2003) 271–276.
27. G. C. Kite E. A. Porter and M. S. J. Simmonds Chromatographic behaviour of steroidal saponins studied by high-performance liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry J. Chrom. A1148 (2007) 177–183; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2007.03.012
28. J. S. Negi P. Singh G. J. N. Pant and M. S. M. Rawat High-performance liquid chromatography analysis of plant saponins: An update 2005-2010 Pharmacogn. Rev.5 (2011) 155–158; https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-7847.91109
29. E. De Combarieu M. Falzoni N. Fuzzati F. Gattesco A. Giori M. Lovati and R. Pace Identification of Ruscus steroidal saponins by HPLC-MS analysis Fitoterapia73 (2002) 583–596; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0367-326X(02)00220-4
30. M. Yoshikawa F. Xu T. Morikawa Y. Pongpiriyadacha S. Nakamura Y. Asao A. Kumahara and H. Matsuda Medicinal flowers. XII. New spirostane-type steroid saponins with antidiabetogenic activity from Borassus flabelliferChem. Pharm. Bull.55 (2007) 308–316; https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.55.308
31. Z. Witkiewicz and J. Kałużna-Czaplińska Podstawy Chromatografii i Technik Elektromigracyjnych Wydawnictwo WNT Warszawa 2012.
32. N. Vervoort D. Daemen and G. Török Performance evaluation of evaporative light scattering detection and charged aerosol detection in reversed phase liquid chromatography J. Chrom. A1189 (2008) 92–100; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2007.10.111
33. M. Arivalagan K. K. Gangopadhyay and G. Kumar Determination of steroidal saponins and fixed oil content in fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) genotypes Indian J. Pharm. Sci.75 (2013) 110–113; https://doi.org/10.4103/0250-474X.113542
34. M. M. Naidu B. N. Shyamala J. P. Naik G. Sulochanamma and P. Srinivas Chemical composition and antioxidant activity of the husk and endosperm of fenugreek seeds LWT - Food Sci. Technol.44 (2011) 451–456; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2010.08.013