A simple and sensitive spectrofluorimetric method for determination of atenolol (ATE) using gold nanoparticles (AuNPs) was developed. The method is based on the quenching effect of atenolol on photoluminescence of AuNPs at λem = 705 nm. Variables affecting luminescence of gold nanoparticles such as the solvent, pH value and surfactant were studied and optimized. The method was preliminarily validated according to ICH guidelines. A linear correlation was recorded within the range of 1.0–10 mg mL−1 ATE with the coefficient of determination R2 of 0.999. The limit of detection and limit of quantitation for atenolol were found to be 0.87 and 2.64 mg mL−1, resp. Good recoveries in the range of 98.7–100.0 % were obtained for spiked samples. The proposed method was applied successfully to assaying atenolol in pharmaceuticals formulations.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. J. G. Hardman L. E. Limbird and A. G. Gilman Goodman and Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics 10th ed. McGraw-Hill New York 2001 1011–1021.
2. F. Belal S. Al-Shaboury and A. Al-Tamrah Spectrofluorometric determination of labetolol in pharmaceutical preparations and spiked human urine through the formation of coumarin derivative J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal.30 (2002) 1191–1196; https://doi.org/10.1016/s0731-7085(02)00471-5
3. H. Basan and S. Yarımkaya A novel solid-phase extraction-spectrofluorimetric method for the direct determination of atenolol in human urine Luminescence29 (2013) 225–229; https://doi.org/10.1002/bio.2532
4. A. Bavili-Tabrizi F. Bahrami and H. Badrouj A very simple and sensitive spectrofluorimetric method based on the oxidation with cerium(IV) for the determination of four different drugs in their pharmaceutical formulations Pharm. Sci.23 (2017) 50–58; https://doi.org/10.15171/ps.2017.08
5. Y. Jiang N. N. Horimoto K. Imura H. Okamoto K. Matsui and R. Shigemoto Bioimaging with two-photon-induced luminescence from triangular nanoplates and nanoparticle aggregates of gold Adv. Mat.21 (2009) 2309–2313; https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.200802312
6. A. D. McFarland C. L. Haynes C. A. Mirkin R. P. V. Duyne and H. A. Godwin Color my nanoworld J. Chem. Ed. 81 (2004) 544A–544B; https://doi.org/10.1021/ed081p544a
7. O. Stern and M. Volmer Decay of fluorescence J. Röntgen Soc.15 (1919) 133–133; https://doi.org/10.1259/lrs.1919.0087
8. International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2(R1) Current Step 4 version November 2005; https://www.ich.org/fileadmin/Public_Web_Site/ICH_Products/Guidelines/Quality/Q2_R1/Step4/Q2_R1_Guideline.pdf; last access date Dec 11 2017.
9. K. G. Thomas B. I. Ipe and P. K. Sudeep Photochemistry of chromophore-functionalized gold nanoparticles Pure Appl. Chem.74 (2002) 1731–1738; https://doi.org/10.1351/pac200274091731
10. V. Amendola G. A. Rizzi S. Polizzi and M. Meneghetti Synthesis of gold nanoparticles by laser ablation in toluene: quenching and recovery of the surface plasmon absorption J. Phys. Chem. B109 (2005) 23125–23128; https://doi.org/10.1021/jp055783v
11. K. Wagers T. Chui and S. Adem Effect of pH on the stability of gold nanoparticles and their application for melamine detection in infant formula IOSR J. Appl. Chem.7 (2014) 15–20; https://doi.org/10.9790/5736-07821520
12. R. Pamies J. G. H. Cifre V. F. Espín M. Collado-González F. G. D. Baños and J. G. de la Torre Aggregation behaviour of gold nanoparticles in saline aqueous media J. Nanopart. Res.16 (2014) Article ID 2376 (11 pages); https://doi.org/10.1007/s11051-014-2376-4
13. J. Lim N.-E. Lee E. Lee and S. Yoon Surface modification of citrate-capped gold nanoparticles using CTAB micelles Bull. Kor. Chem. Soc.35 (2014) 2567–2569; https://doi.org10.5012/bkcs.2014.35.8.25674
14. A. M. El-Didamony and M. A. Moustafa Direct spectrophotometric determination of atenolol and timolol anti-hypertensive drugs Int. J. Pharm. Pharm. Sci.9 (2017) 47–53; https://doi.org/10.22159/ijpps.2017v9i3.16198
15. I. E. H. Elgailani and T. H. Alghamdi Development of spectrophotometric method for the determination of atenolol in Normoten drug Int. J. Chem.9 (2017) 58–64; https://doi.org/0.5539/ijc.v9n1p58