A new HPTLC-densitometric method for diosgenin determination in fenugreek seeds was established after optimization of the conditions for efficient saponin extraction and acid hydrolysis. Several procedures were tested, the best of which was a three-step Soxhlet extraction, followed by hydrolysis of the obtained methanolic extract with 2 mol L-1 H2SO4. Best diosgenin separation from other hydrolysis products was obtained on HPTLC Si60F254 plates u sing a mixture of n-heptane/ethyl acetate (7:3, V/V) and modified anisaldehyde as a spraying reagent. The method was preliminarily validated and the determined amounts of diosgenin in fenugreek seeds of Polish and African origin were found to be similar and ranged from 0.12-0.18 %.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. W. G. Taylor, M. S. Zaman, Z. Mir, P. S. Mir, S. N. Acharya, G. J. Mears and J. L. Elder, Analysis of steroidal sapogenins from amber fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) by capillary gas chromatography and combined gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, J. Agric. Food Chem. 45 (1997) 753-759; https://doi.org/10.1021/jf960200n
2. Y. Y. Chen, Y. M. Tang, S. L. Yu, Y. W. Han, J. P. Kou, B. L. Liu and B. Y. Yu, Advances in the pharmacological activities and mechanisms of diosgenin, Chin. J. Nat. Med. 13 (2015) 578-587; https://doi.org/10.1016/S1875-5364(15)30053-4
3. B. Król-Kogus and M. Krauze-Baranowska, Fenugreek - source of compounds with hormonal activity? (Kozieradka pospolita - źródło związków o aktywności hormonalnej?), Farm. Pol. 68 (2012) 39-41.
4. W. G. Taylor, H. J. Zulyniak, K. W. Richards, S. N. Acharya, S. Bittman and J. L. Elder, Variation in diosgenin levels among 10 accessions of fenugreek seeds produced in western Canada, J. Agric. Food Chem. 50 (2002) 5994-5997; https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020486y
5. K. Hostettmann and A. Marston, Saponins, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1995, pp. 123-124, 126-127, 144, 177-178.
6. W. G. Taylor, J. L. Elder, P. R. Chang and K.W. Richards, Microdetermination of diosgenin from fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) seeds, J. Agric. Food Chem. 48 (2000) 5206-5210; https://doi.org/10.1021/jf000467t
7. S. N. Kharat, R. Singh and V. D. Mendhulkar, Quantitative analysis for diosgenin content in Elephantopus scaber (Linn.) by HPTLC using successive solvent extraction method, Pharm. Lett. 7 (2015) 236-244.
8. V. K. Ghosh, S. G. Bhope, V. V. Kuber and A. D. Sagulale, An improved method for the extraction and quantitation of diosgenin in Tribulus terrestris, L., J. Liq. Chrom. Rel. Tech. 35 (2012) 1141-1155; https://doi.org/10.1080/10826076.2011.615101
9. M. Amir, A. Ahmad, N. Siddique, M. Mujeeb, S. Ahmad and W. Siddique, Development and validation of HPTLC method for the estimation of diosgenin in vitro culture and rhizome of Dioscorea deltoidea, Acta Chrom. 24 (2012) 111-121; https://doi.org/10.1556/AChrom.24.2012.1.10
10. P. D. Trivedi, K. Pundarikakshudu, S. Rathnam and K. S. Shah, A validated quantitative thinlayer chromatographic method for estimation of diosgenin in various plant samples, extract, and market formulation, J. AOAC Int. 90 (2007) 358-363; https://doi.org/10.1080/0363904080243059
11. C. M. Kim, K. H. Son, S. H. Kim and H. P. Kim, Steroidal sapogenin contents in some domestic plants, Arch. Pharm. Res. 14 (1991) 305-310; https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02876875
12. L. Wang, X. Wang, X. Yuan and B. Zhao, Simultaneous analysis of diosgenin and sarsasapogenin in Asparagus officinalis byproduct by thin-layer chromatography, Phytochem. Anal. 22 (2011) 14-17; https://doi.org/10.1002/pca.1244
13. Y. Peng, Z. Yang, Y. Wang, Z. Liu, J. Bao and Y. Hong, Pathways for the steroidal saponins conversion to diosgenin during acid hydrolysis of Dioscorea zingiberensis C. H. Wright, Chem. Eng. Res. Des. 89 (2011) 2620-2625; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2011.06.008
14. D. Sobolewska, Z. Janeczko, I. Podolak and A. Szerłomska, Densitometric analysis of diosgenin in methanolic extracts of Allium ursinum collected at different times during plant development, J. Planar Chrom. - Mod. TLC 22 (2009) 305-307; https://doi.org/10.1556/JPC.22.2009.4.13
15. O. Laila, I. Murtaza, M. Z. Abdin, S. Ahmad, N. A. Ganai and M. Jehangir, Development and validation of HPTLC method for simultaneous estimation of diosgenin and quercetin in fenugreek seeds (Trigonella foenum-graceum), ISRN Chromatogr. 2014 (2014) Article ID 583047, 8 pages; https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/583047