A new HPTLC-densitometric method for diosgenin determination in fenugreek seeds was established after optimization of the conditions for efficient saponin extraction and acid hydrolysis. Several procedures were tested, the best of which was a three-step Soxhlet extraction, followed by hydrolysis of the obtained methanolic extract with 2 mol L-1 H2SO4. Best diosgenin separation from other hydrolysis products was obtained on HPTLC Si60F254 plates u sing a mixture of n-heptane/ethyl acetate (7:3, V/V) and modified anisaldehyde as a spraying reagent. The method was preliminarily validated and the determined amounts of diosgenin in fenugreek seeds of Polish and African origin were found to be similar and ranged from 0.12-0.18 %.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. W. G. Taylor M. S. Zaman Z. Mir P. S. Mir S. N. Acharya G. J. Mears and J. L. Elder Analysis of steroidal sapogenins from amber fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) by capillary gas chromatography and combined gas chromatography/mass spectrometry J. Agric. Food Chem. 45 (1997) 753-759; https://doi.org/10.1021/jf960200n
2. Y. Y. Chen Y. M. Tang S. L. Yu Y. W. Han J. P. Kou B. L. Liu and B. Y. Yu Advances in the pharmacological activities and mechanisms of diosgenin Chin. J. Nat. Med. 13 (2015) 578-587; https://doi.org/10.1016/S1875-5364(15)30053-4
3. B. Król-Kogus and M. Krauze-Baranowska Fenugreek - source of compounds with hormonal activity? (Kozieradka pospolita - źródło związków o aktywności hormonalnej?) Farm. Pol. 68 (2012) 39-41.
4. W. G. Taylor H. J. Zulyniak K. W. Richards S. N. Acharya S. Bittman and J. L. Elder Variation in diosgenin levels among 10 accessions of fenugreek seeds produced in western Canada J. Agric. Food Chem. 50 (2002) 5994-5997; https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020486y
5. K. Hostettmann and A. Marston Saponins Cambridge University Press Cambridge 1995 pp. 123-124 126-127 144 177-178.
6. W. G. Taylor J. L. Elder P. R. Chang and K.W. Richards Microdetermination of diosgenin from fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) seeds J. Agric. Food Chem. 48 (2000) 5206-5210; https://doi.org/10.1021/jf000467t
7. S. N. Kharat R. Singh and V. D. Mendhulkar Quantitative analysis for diosgenin content in Elephantopus scaber (Linn.) by HPTLC using successive solvent extraction method Pharm. Lett. 7 (2015) 236-244.
8. V. K. Ghosh S. G. Bhope V. V. Kuber and A. D. Sagulale An improved method for the extraction and quantitation of diosgenin in Tribulus terrestris L. J. Liq. Chrom. Rel. Tech. 35 (2012) 1141-1155; https://doi.org/10.1080/10826076.2011.615101
9. M. Amir A. Ahmad N. Siddique M. Mujeeb S. Ahmad and W. Siddique Development and validation of HPTLC method for the estimation of diosgenin in vitro culture and rhizome of Dioscorea deltoidea Acta Chrom. 24 (2012) 111-121; https://doi.org/10.1556/AChrom.24.2012.1.10
10. P. D. Trivedi K. Pundarikakshudu S. Rathnam and K. S. Shah A validated quantitative thinlayer chromatographic method for estimation of diosgenin in various plant samples extract and market formulation J. AOAC Int. 90 (2007) 358-363; https://doi.org/10.1080/0363904080243059
11. C. M. Kim K. H. Son S. H. Kim and H. P. Kim Steroidal sapogenin contents in some domestic plants Arch. Pharm. Res. 14 (1991) 305-310; https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02876875
12. L. Wang X. Wang X. Yuan and B. Zhao Simultaneous analysis of diosgenin and sarsasapogenin in Asparagus officinalis byproduct by thin-layer chromatography Phytochem. Anal. 22 (2011) 14-17; https://doi.org/10.1002/pca.1244
13. Y. Peng Z. Yang Y. Wang Z. Liu J. Bao and Y. Hong Pathways for the steroidal saponins conversion to diosgenin during acid hydrolysis of Dioscorea zingiberensis C. H. Wright Chem. Eng. Res. Des. 89 (2011) 2620-2625; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2011.06.008
14. D. Sobolewska Z. Janeczko I. Podolak and A. Szerłomska Densitometric analysis of diosgenin in methanolic extracts of Allium ursinum collected at different times during plant development J. Planar Chrom. - Mod. TLC 22 (2009) 305-307; https://doi.org/10.1556/JPC.22.2009.4.13
15. O. Laila I. Murtaza M. Z. Abdin S. Ahmad N. A. Ganai and M. Jehangir Development and validation of HPTLC method for simultaneous estimation of diosgenin and quercetin in fenugreek seeds (Trigonella foenum-graceum) ISRN Chromatogr. 2014 (2014) Article ID 583047 8 pages; https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/583047