Newly introduced methods of assaying simultaneously copper and zinc and zinc alone in serum by flame atomic-absorption spectrometry are simple and economical, especially in saving the consumption of serum material. Along with biochemical parameters, they have been successfully applied to diagnostics/prognostics of tuberculosis in children, through analyses of sera from pediatric patients with lung tuberculosis or suspected tuberculosis, enabling the follow-up of therapeutic efficiency. The prognostic strength of Cu and Cu/Zn ratio together with C-reactive protein, complement components C3 and C4, and erythrocyte sedimentation rate have been documented.
1. M. L. Moraes, D. M. Ramalho, K. N. Delogo, P. F. Miranda, E. D. Mesquita, H. M. De Melo Guedes de Oliveira, A. R. Netto, M. J. Dos Anjos, A. L. Kritski and M. M. De Oliveira, Association of serum levels of iron, copper, and zinc, and inflammatory markers with bacteriological sputum conversion during tuberculosis treatment, Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 160 (2014) 176–184; DOI: 10.1007/s12011-014-0046-0.
2. R. I. Cernat, T. Mihaescu, M. Vornicu, D. Vione, R. I. Olariu and C. Arsene, Serum trace metal and ceruloplasmin variability in individuals treated for pulmonary tuberculosis, Int. J. Tuberc. Lung Dis. 15 (2011) 1239–1245; DOI: 10.5588/ijtld.10.0445.
3. M. E. Visser, H. M. Grewal, E. C. Swart, M. A. Dhansay, G. Walzl, S. Swanewelder, C. Lombard and G. Maartens, The effect of vitamin A and zinc supplementation on treatment outcomes in pulmonary tuberculosis: a randomized controlled trial, Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 93 (2011) 93–100; DOI: 10.3945/ajcn.110.001784.
4. H. Ghulam, S. M. Kadri, A. Manzoor, Q. Waseem, M. S. Aatif, G. Q. Khan and K. Manish, Status of zinc in pulmonary tuberculosis, J. Infect. Dev. Ctries3 (2009) 365–368.
5. J. D. Bogden, D. I. Lintz, M. M. Joselow, J. Charles and J. S. Salaki, Copper/zinc ratios in whole blood, plasma and erythrocytes in pulmonary tuberculosis, Health Lab. Sci. 15 (1978) 38–44.
6. T. U. Ciftci, B. Ciftci, O. Yis, Y. Guney, A. Bilgihan and M. Ogretensoy, Changes in serum selenium, copper, zinc levels and Cu/Zn ratio in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis during therapy, Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 95 (2003) 65–71.
7. V. Nenni, H. M. Nataprawira and T. Yuniati, Role of combined zinc, vitamin A, and fish oil supplementation in childhood tuberculosis, Southeast Asian J. Trop. Med. Public Health44 (2013) 854–861.
8. M. Herlina, H. M. Nataprawira and H. Garna, Association of serum C-reactive protein and leptin levels with wasting in childhood tuberculosis, Singapore Med. J. 52 (2011) 446–450.
9. S. Dodig, D. Galez, I. Zoričić-Letoja, B. Kristić-Kirin, K. Kovač, B. Nogalo, J. Živčić and R. Zrinski-Topić, C-reactive protein and complement components C3 and C4 in children with latent tuberculosis infection, Biochem. Med. 18 (2008) 52–58.
10. S. Luterotti and T. Vukman, Acidic method for determination of copper in blood serum by FAAS, Acta Pharm. 52 (2002) 143–148.
11. S. Luterotti, T. Vukman Kordić and S. Dodig, Simultaneous determination of iron and copper in children’s sera by FAAS, Acta Pharm. 61 (2011) 93–102; DOI: 10.2478/v10007-011-008-4.
12. S. Luterotti, T. Vukman Kordić and S. Dodig, Contribution to diagnostics/prognostics of tuberculosis in children. I. New methods of assaying zinc and simultaneously copper and zinc in diluted sera by FAAS, Acta Pharm. 65 (2015) 311–320; DOI: 10.1515/acph-2015-00226.
13. Z. Flegar-Meštrić, N. Jagarinec, B. Šurina, D. Vrhovski-Hebrang, V. Preden-Kereković, S. Perkov and B. Smuđ-Makalouš, Reference intervals for biochemistry analytes determined in the sera of children and adolescents from Zagreb, Croatia, Biochem. Med. 6 (1996) 277–288.
14. G. Lockitch, A. C. Halstead, L. Wadsworth, G. Quigley, L. Reston and B. Jacobson, Age- and sex-specific pediatric reference intervals and correlations for zinc, copper, selenium, iron, vitamins A and E, and related proteins, Clin. Chem. 34 (1988) 1625–1628.
15. E. Topić, Z. Flegar-Meštrić, D. Batinić and D. Čvorišćec (Eds.), Harmonisation of Laboratory Findings in the Field of Common, Specific and Subspecific Clinical Chemistry, Croatian Chamber of Medical Biochemists, Medicinska naklada, Zagreb 2007.
16. I. Pavić, R. Zrinski Topić, M. Raos, N. Aberle and S. Dodig, Interferon-γ release assay for the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis in children younger than 5 years of age, Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 30 (2011) 866–870; DOI: 10.1097/INF.0b013e318220c52a.