In the present study, a capsule formulation composed of enteric coated granules of Lactobacillus acidophilus ATCC 4962 was developed using Eudragit L30D-55 as enteric polymer. Optimization of the capsule formulation was achieved with a maximum viable cell count after 2 h of incubation in acid medium and disintegration time of 1 h in buffer pH 6.8. The amount of Eudragit L30D-55 in the capsules correlated with gastric juice resistance. The best protective qualities against artificial gastric juice were observed when capsules were prepared from granules composed of L. acidophilus, corn starch, lactose monohydrate, polyvinylpyrrolidone and coated with 12.5 % (m/V) of Eudragit L30D-55. Capsule formulation of L. acidophilus in edible broth medium suspension serves as a cheap alternative to the expensive freeze-drying procedure for preparing L. acidophilus. In addition, the enteric coating using Eudragit L30D-55 could protect probiotics from the acidic gastric environment and enhance the bioactivity of probiotics along with replacement of pathogenic microbes in human intestine
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. M. Kumar, R. Nagpal, R. Kumar, R. Hemalatha, V. Verma, A. Kumar, C. Chakraborty, B. Singh, F. Marotta, S. Jain and H. Yadav, Cholesterol-lowering probiotics as potential biotherapeutics for metabolic diseases, Exp. Diabetes Res. 2012 (2012) 1-16; DOI: 10.1155/2012/902917.
2. E. Johansen, K. Soerensen, M. Curic-bawden and M. Junge, Use of lactic acid bacteria for preparing fermented food products with increased natural sweetness, PCT/EP2013/058655, 31.10.2013; IPC:C12N 1/20 (2006.01) (2013) WO2013160413.
3. S. Messaoudi, M. Manai, G. Kergourlay, H. Prévost, N. Connil, M. Chobert and X. Dousset, Lactobacillus salivarius: bacteriocin and probiotic activity, Food Microbiol. 36 (2013) 296-304; DOI: 10.1016/j.fm.2013.05.010.
4. M. Cavinato, M. Bresciani, M. Machin, G. Bellazzi, P. Canu and A. Santomaso, Formulation design for optimal high-shear wet granulation using on-line torque measurements, Int. J. Pharm. 387 (2010) 48-55; DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2009.11.032.
5. B. Ennis, Theory of Granulation: An Engineering Perspective, in Handbook of Pharmaceutical Granulation Technology (Ed. D. Parikh), 3rd ed., Taylor and Francis Group, New York 2009.
6. D. Daniher, L. Briens and A. Tallevi, End point detection in high-shear granulation using sound and vibration signal analysis, Powder Technol. 181 (2008) 130-136; DOI: 10.1016/j.powtec.2006.12.003.
7. P. Sinko, Martin’s Physical Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 5th ed., Lippincott Williams &Williams Publishers, Philadelphia 2006.
8. J. E Silva, C. Sousa, P. Costa, E. Cerdeira, M. Amaral, J. Sousa, A. Gomes, M. Pintado, D. Rodrigues, T. Rocha-Santos and A. Freitas, Development of probiotic tablets using microparticles: viability studies and stability studies, AAPS PharmSciTech. 14 (2013) 121-127; DOI: 10.1208/ s12249-012-9898-9.
9. H. Pyar and K. Peh, Effect of cryoprotective agents on survival and stability of Lactobacillus acidophilus cultured in food-grade medium, Int. J. Dairy Technol. 64 (2011) 578-584; DOI: 10.1111/ j.1471-0307.2011.00715.x.
10. E. Abdullah and D. Geldart, The use of bulk density measurements as flowability indicators, Powder Technol. 102 (1999) 151-165; DOI: 10.1016/S0032-5910(98)00208-3.
11. V. Nalluri and M. Kuentz, Flowability characterisation of drug excipient blends using a novel powder avalanching method, Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm. 74 (2010) 388-396; DOI: 10.1016/j.ejpb. 2009.09.010.
12. The United States Pharmacopoeia, Pharmacopoeial Convention, Asian edition, Web com. ltd., 2011, Canada.
13. S. Badawy, M. Meening, M. Gorko and D. Gilbert, Effect of process parameters on compressibility of granulation manufactured in a high-shear mixer, Int. J. Pharm. 198 (2000) 51-61.
14. G. Font de Valdez, G. de Giori, A. de Ruiz Holgado and G. Oliver, Effect of the rehydration medium on the recovery of freeze-dried lactic acid bacteria, Appl. Envir. Microbiol. 50 (1985) 1339-1341.
15. D. Priyanka, A. Anishaparvin, G. Joseph and C. Anandharamakrishnan, Microencapsulation of Lactobacillus plantarum (mtcc 5422) by spray-freeze-drying method and evaluation of survival in simulated gastrointestinal conditions, J. Microencapsul. 28 (2011) 568-574. DOI: 10.3109/02652048. 2011.599435.
16. R. Mokarram, S. Mortazavi, M. Habibi-Najafi and F. Shahidi, The influence of multi stage alginate coating on survivability of potential probiotic bacteria in simulated gastric and intestinal juice, Food Res. Int. 42 (2009) 1040-1045; DOI: 10.1016/j.foodres.2009.04.023.
17. Z. Mousavi, S. Mousavi, S. Razavi, M. Hadinejad, Z. Emam-Djomeh and M. Mirzapour, Effect of fermentation of pomegranate juice by Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus acidophilus on the antioxidant activity and metabolism of sugars, organic acids and phenolic compounds, Food Biotechnol. 27 (2013) 1-13; DOI: 10.1080/08905436.2012.724037.
18. V. Monnet, S. Condon, T. Cogan and J. Gripon, Metabolism of Starter Culture, in Dairy Starter Culture (Ed. T. Cogan and J. Accolas), VCH publishers, New York 1996, p. 47.
19. W. Sandine, Commercial Production of Dairy Starters Cultures, in Dairy Starter Culture (Ed. T. Cogan and J. Accolas), VCH publishers, New York 1996, p. 191.
20. I. Valaei, S. Hassan-Beygi, M. Kianmehr and J. Massah, Investigation of avalanche time and Carr’s index of poultry litter powder as flowability indices, Cercetari Agronomice in Moldova 45 (2013) 15-27; DOI: 10.2478/v10298-012-0061-2.
21. G. Amidon, P. Secreast and D. Mudie, Developing Solid Oral Dosage Forms: Pharmaceutical Theory and Practice, Academic press, Burlington 2009.
22. K. Ghosh and B. Jasti, Theory and Practice of Contemporary Pharmaceutics, Philadelphia 2010.
23. A. Faqih, A. Mehrotra, S. Hammond and J. Muzzio, Effect of moisture and magnesium stearate concentration on flow properties of cohesive granular materials, Int. J. Pharm. 336 (2007) 338-345; DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2006.12.024.
24. P. Müller, S. Antonyuk and J. Tomas, Influence of moisture content on the compression behavior of granules, Chem. Eng. Technol. 34 (2011) 1543-1550; DOI: 10.1002/ceat.201100262.
25. S. Choi, L. Liu, K. Yamamoto, K. Igawa, M. Mochizuki, T. Sakai, R. Echigo, M. Honnami, S. Suzuki, I. Chung and N. Sasaki, Development and evaluation of tetrapod-shaped granular artificial bones, Acta Biomater. 8 (2012) 2340-2347; DOI: 10.1016/j.actbio.2012.02.019.
26. P. Seitavuopio, J. Heinämäki, J. Rantanen and J. Yliruusi, Monitoring tablet surface roughness during the film coating process, AAPS PharmSciTech. 7 (2006) E1-E6; DOI: 10.1208/pt070231.
27. B. Rambali, L. Baert, D. Thoné and L. Massart, Using experimental design to optimize the process parameters in fluidized bed granulation, Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm. 27 (2001) 47-55; DOI: 10.1081/ DDC-100000127.
28. V. Sinha, A. Singh, R. Kuma, S. Singh, R. Kumria and R. Bhinge, Oral colon specific drug delivery of protein and peptide drugs, Crit. Rev. Ther. Drug Carrier Syst. 24 (2007) 63-92; DOI: 10.1615/ CritRevTherDrugCarrierSyst.v24.i1.30.
29. G. Kibria, A. Roni, S. Absar and U. Jalil, Effect of plasticizer on release kinetics of diclofenac sodium pellets coated with Eudragit RS 30 D, AAPS PharmSciTech. 9 (2008) 1240-1246; DOI: 10.1208/ s12249-008-9163-4.
30. H. Abukawa, M. Papadaki, M. Abulikemu, J. Leaf, J. Vacanti, L. Kaban and J. Troulis, The engineering of craniofacial tissues in the laboratory: a review of biomaterials for scaffolds and implant coatings, Dent. Clin. North Am. 50 (2006) 205-216; DOI: 10.1016/j.cden.2005.11.006.