A simple RP HPLC method for quantification of betamethasone dipropionate (BDP) in gingival crevicular fluid (GCF) has been developed and validated. GCF represents a valuable matrix for therapeutic monitoring of drugs used in the treatment of periodontal disease. The proposed method involves single step extraction for sample preparation. The calibration curve for BDP was linear over the concentration range of 0.10-2.00 μg mL-1 (R2 = 0.9971). RSD values of intra- and inter-day precision ranged 2.2-4.5 and 1.6-5.7 %, while accuracy values were higher than 96.6 and 97.0 %, respectively. The described method can be successfully applied for determination of betamethasone concentrations in GCF obtained from patients with chronic periodontitis after local treatment with BDP cream 0.5 mg g-1.
1. W. V. Giannobile, T. Beikler, J. S. Kinney, C. A. Ramseier, T. Morelli and D. T. Wong, Saliva as a diagnostic tool for periodontal disease: current state and future directions, Periodontol. 2000 50 (2009) 52-64; DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0757.2008.00288.x.
2. J. S. Kinney, C. A. Ramseier and W. V. Giannobile, Oral fluid-based biomarkers of alveolar bone loss in periodontitis, Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1098 (2007) 230-251; DOI: 10.1196/annals.1384.028.
3. T. E. Van Dyke, Resolution of inflammation: A new paradigm for the pathogenesis of periodontal diseases, J. Dent. Res. 8 (2003) 12-37; DOI: 10.1177/154405910308200202.
4. R. A. Seymour, Effects of medications on the periodontal tissues in health and disease, Periodontol.2000 40 (2006) 120-129; DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0757.2005.00137.x.
5. H. Aras, F. Çaglayan, G. N. Güncü, A. Berberoìlu and K. Kilinc, Effect of systematically administered naproxen sodium on clinical parametars and myeloperoxidase and elastase - like activity levels in gingival crevicular fluid, J. Periodontol. 78 (2007) 868-873; DOI: 10.1902/jop.2007. 060412.
6. E. Fachin and A. Zaki, Histology and lysosomal cytochemistry of the postsurgically inflamed dental pulp after topical application of steroids. Histological study, J. Endod. 9 (1991) 457-460; DOI: 10.1016/S0099-2399(07)80137-3.
7. E. Fachin, R. Scarparo, A. Pezzi, S. Luisi and M. Filho, Effect of betamethasone on the pulp after topical application to the dentin of rat teeth: vascular aspects of inflammation, J. Appl. Oral Sci. 17 (2009) 335-339; DOI: 10.1590/S1678-77572009000400012.
8. L. K. Pershing, L. D. Lambert, V. P. Shah and S. Y. Lam, Variability and correlation of chromametar and tape-stripping methods with the visual skin blaching assay in the quantitative assessment of topical 0.05 % betamethasone dipropionate bioavailability in humans, Int. J. Pharm. 86 (1992) 201-210; DOI: 10.1016/0378-5173(92)90198-B.
9. J. Zou, L. Ding, D. Xiao, Z. Bin, H. Fan, L. Liu and J. Wang, Determination of betamethasone and betamethasone 17-monopropionate in human plasma by liquid chromatography - positive- -negative electrospray ionisation tandem mass spectrometry, J. Chromatogr. B 873 (2008)159 -164, DOI: 10.1016/j.jchromb.2008.08.011.
10. M. Koss, S. Castro and M. Lopez, Enzymatic profile of gingival crevicular fluid in association with periodontal status, Lab. Med. 40 (2009) 277-280; DOI: 10.1309/LMCNUQI8ULCUK2BK.
11. I. B. Lamster and J. K. Aclo, Analysis of gingival crevicular fluid as applied to the diagnosis of oral and systemic diseases, Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1098 (2007) 216-229; DOI: 10.1196/annals.1384. 027.
12. D. S. Vienneau and C. G. Kindberg, Development and validation of a sensitive method for tetracycline in gingival crevicular fluid by HPLC using fluorescence detection, J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 16 (1997) 111-117; DOI: 10.1016/S0731-7085(97)00009-5.
13. C. E. Castro, M. A. Koss and M. E. Lopez, Intracytoplasmic enzymes in gingival crevicular fluid of patients with aggressive periodontitis, J. Periodont. Res. 46 (2011) 522-527; DOI: 10.1111/j. 1600-0765.2011.01367.x.
14. EMEA, Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use, Draft Guidelines on Validation of BioanalyticalMethods, EMEA, London 2009.
15. C. C. Tsai, C. C. Kao and C. C. Chen, Gingival crevicular fluid lactoferrin levels in adult periodontitis, Aust. Dent. J. 43 (1998) 40-44; DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1998.tb00151.x.