Facial cleft malformations belong to the most common problems of the congenital facial anomalies. At the Clinic of Plastic, Aestetic and Reconstructive Surgery at the Faculty Hospital in Banská Bystrica we have been performing primary cleft lip repairs during the first week of life of a newborn since 1995. During this life period the fetal healing still persists. Modern anesthetic techniques have considerably reduced respiratory complications after the lip closure. The adequate postoperative sedation together with monitoring of the pacient remarkably reduces the occurrence of wound dehiscence. The advantages of the neonatal cleft lip repair are the scarless healing, no negative effect on the growth of the middle thirt of the face, as well as the pschychosocial effect on the family and the fact that the ortodontic aparat has not been needed.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Millard DR. Cleft Craft: The evalution of Its Surgery vol. 1. Boston Little Brown 1976.
2. Wilhemsen HR Musgrave RH. Complications of cleft lip surgery. Cleft palate 3 1996 p. 223.
3. Gary S Bromley M Kenneth O Rothaus M Dicrano G. Cleft Lip Mortality and Morbidity in Early Repair. Ann Chir Plast 1983 1:214–17.
4. Sandberg DJ Magee WP Denk MJ. Neonatal cleft lip and cleft palate repair. AORN J 2002 75(3): 490-8; quiz 501-4 506–8.
5. Kokavec R Hedera J Fedeles J Janovic J Short E Klimová I. New Trends in the complex treatment in the Cleft Centre in Bratislava. Bratisl Lek Listy 2001 102(6):290–3.
6. Mahdi A. Shkoukani MC Vong A. Cleft Lip – A Comprehensive Review. Front Pediatr. 2013; 1(1):53.
7. Cockell A Lees M. Prenatal diagnosis and management of orofacial cleft. Prenatal Diagnosis 2000 20:149–51.
8. Weinfeld AB Hollier LH Spira M Stal S. International trends in treatment of cleft lip and palate. Clin Plast Surg 2005 32:19-23.
9. Borsky J Kozak J Tvrdek M Hudáček M Dostalova T Černý M. Cleft defect in the upper lip. Czech journal of dental chambers 2007 11:18–21.
10. Sunjay S Tompson BD. A Modified Muscle-Activated Maxillary Orthopedic Appliance for Presurgical Nasoalveolar Molding in Infants With Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal 2004 41(3):225-27.
11. Christie FB Stirrups DR Mackenzie JS Lawrence GM. An orthodontic evaluation of 16-year-old males with an original complete unilateral cleft lip and palate problem repaired during the neonatal period. British Journal of Plastic Surgery 1991 44:557–61.
12. Eichhorn W Blessmann M Vorwig O Gehrke G Schmelzle R Heiland M. Influence of lip closure on alveolar cleft width in pacient with cleft lip and palate. Head & Face Medicine 2011 7(3).
13. Hammoudeh JA Imahiyerobo TA Liang F Fahradyan A Urbinelli L Lau J Matar M Magee W Urata M. Early Cleft Lip Repair Revisited: A Safe and Effective Approach Utilizing a Multidisciplinary Protocol. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2017 5(6):1340.
14. Eltramsy EHEA Barakat A. Early Cleft Lip Repair. AAMJ 2012 10(1):317–22.
15. Thierens LAM Brusselaers N De Roo NMC De Pauw GAM. Effects of labial adhesion on maxillary arch dimensions and nasolabial esthetics in cleft lip and palate: a systematic review. Oral Diseases 2017 23(7):889–896.