Vortioxetine is a novel antidepressant with two mechanisms of action – direct effect on several serotonin receptors and serotonin re-uptake inhibition. It shows antidepressant, anxiolytic and cognitive effects during the treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD). The aim of this article was to summarize the use of vortioxetine in clinical studies and assess the efficacy and tolerability. Most of the studies reported a statistically significant efficacy for vortioxetine versus placebo. In addition, vortioxetine showed efficacy in patients with an inadequate response to selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRI) or serotonin-noradrenaline re-uptake inhibitors (SNRI) monotherapy and improved cognitive function in patients with MDD. In these studies, vortioxetine was well tolerated – most common observed adverse effect was nausea – and it was not associated with clinically important changes in laboratory test results or vital signs. Vortioxetine showed a relatively low incidence of sexual dysfunction.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Alvarez E Perez V Artigas F. Pharmacology and clinical potential of vortioxetine in the treatment of major depressive disorder. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment. 2014; 10: 1297-1307.
2. Andrade L Caraveo-Anduaga JJ Berglund P et al. The epidemiology of major depressive episodes: results from the International Consortium of Psychiatric Epidemiology (ICPE) Surveys. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2003; 12 (3): 165.
3. Farsky I Smetanka A Dubinska S. Spirituality of patients with selected psychiatric disorders. Osetrovatelstvi a Porodni Asistence. 2012; 3 (3): 433-441.
4. Halama P Ondrejka I Ziakova K Farsky I. Existential and spiritual correlates of mental health in normal population and psychiatric patients. Ceskoslovenska psychologie. 2010; 54 (1): 42-57.
5. Santarsieri D Schwartz TL. Antidepressant efficacy and side-effect burden: a quick guide for clinicians. Drugs Context. 2015; 4: 212290. Published October 8 2015. Accessed June 30 2016.
6. Mørk A Pehrson A Brennum LT et al. Pharmacological effects of Lu AA21004: a novel multimodal compound for the treatment of major depressive disorder. J Pharmacol Exp. Ther. 2012; 340 (3): 666-675.
7. Hvenegaard MG Bang-Andersen B Pedersen H Jørgensen M Püschl A Dalgaard L. Identification of the cytochrome P450 and other enzymes involved in the in vitro oxidative metabolism of a novel antidepressant Lu AA21004. Drug Metab Dispos. 2012; 40 (7): 1357-1365.
8. Chen G Lee R Højer AM Buchbjerg JK Serenko M Zhao Z. Pharmacokinetic drug interactions involving vortioxetine (Lu AA21004) a multimodal antidepressant. Clin Drug Investig. 2013; 33: 727-736.
9. Baldwin DS Loft H Dragheim M. A randomised double-blind placebo controlled duloxetine-referenced fixed-dose study of three dosages of Lu AA21004 in acute treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD). Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2012; 22 (7): 482-491.
10. Katona C Hansen T Olsen CK. A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled duloxetine-referenced fixed-dose study comparing the efficacy and safety of Lu AA21004 in elderly patients with major depressive disorder. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2012; 27 (4): 215-223.
11. McIntyre RS Lophaven S Olsen CK. A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study of vortioxetine on cognitive function in depressed adults. International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology. 2014; 17 (10): 1557-67.
12. Häggström L Nielsen RZ Poulsen L Danchenko N. A randomised double blind active controlled study of vortioxetine (10–20 mg/day) versus agomelatine (25–50 mg/day) in adults with Major Depressive Disorder with inadequate response to antidepressant treatment. Poster presented at: 26th Congress of the European College of Neuropsychop harmacology (ECNP); October 5-9 2013; Barcelona Spain.
13. Alvarez E Perez V Dragheim M Loft H Artigas F. A double-blind randomized placebo-controlled active reference study of Lu AA21004 in patients with major depressive disorder. Int J Neuropsy - chopharmacol. 2012; 15 (5): 589-600.
14. Boulenger JP Loft H Olsen CK. Efficacy and safety of vortioxetine (Lu AA21004) 15 and 20 mg/day: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled duloxetine-referenced study in the acute treatment of adult patients with major depressive disorder. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2014; 29 (3): 138-149.
15. Henisberg N Mahableshwarkar AR Jacobsen P Chen Y Thase ME. A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled 8-week trial of the efficacy and tolerability of multiple doses of Lu AA21004 in adults with major depressive disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2012; 73 (7): 953-959.
16. Jacobsen PL Mahableshwarkar AR Serenko M Chan S Trivedi MH. A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study of the efficacy and safety of vortioxetine 10 mg and 20 mg in adults with Major Depres sive Disorder. Poster presented at: American Psychiatry Association Annual Meeting; May 18-22 2013; San Francisco USA.
17. Jain R Mahableshwarkar AR Jacobsen PL Chen Y Thase ME. A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled 6-wk trial of the efficacy and tolerability of 5 mg vortioxetine in adults with major depressive disorder. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2013; 16 (2): 313-321.
18. Mahableshwarkar AR Jacobsen PL Serenko M Chen Y Trivedi MH. A randomized double blind parallel placebo-controlled fixed-dose study comparing the efficacy and safety of 2 doses of vortioxetine (LU AA21004) in acute treatment of adults with major depressive disorder. Poster presented at: American Psychiatry Association Annual Meeting; May 18-22 2013; San Francisco USA.
19. Mahableshwarkar AR Jacobsen PL Chen Y. A randomized double-blind trial of 2.5 mg and 5 mg vortioxetine (Lu AA21004) versus placebo for 8 weeks in adults with major depressive disorder. Curr Med Res Opin. 2013; 29 (3): 217-226.
20. Mahableshwarkar AR Jacobsen P Serenko M Chcen Y Trivedi MH. A duloxetine-referenced fixed dose study comparing efficacy and safety of 2 vortioxetine doses in the acute treatment of adult patients with MDD. Poster presented at: 166th Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association (APA); May 18-22 2013; San Francisco USA.
21. Boulenger JP Loft H Florea I. A randomized clinical study of Lu AA21004 in the prevention of relapse in patients with major depressive disorder. J Psychopharmacol. 2012; 26 (11): 1408-1416.
22. Baldwin DS Hansen T Florea I. Vortioxetine (Lu AA21004) in the long-term open-label treatment of major depressive disorder. Curr Med Res Opin. 2012; 28 (10): 1717-1724.
23. Baldwin DS Serenko M Palo W Lophaven S Matz J. The safety and tolerability of vortioxetine (Lu AA21004) in the treatment of adults with major depressive disorder (MDD): a pooled analysis. Int J Psychiatry Clin Pract. 2013; 17 (Suppl. 2): 16-17.
24. Sanchez C Asin KE Artigas F. Vortioxetine a novel antidepressant with multimodal activity: Review of preclinical and clinical data. Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2015; 145: 43-57.