Detection of mutations in cancer is particularly important in terms of proper treatment and targeted therapy. The aim of this study was the comparison of two methods: allele-specific PCR (AS-PCR) and dideoxysequencing applied for the identification of BRAF gene mutations in wild-type gastrointestinal stromal tumors (WT GISTs). We have optimized the conditions for the detection V600E mutation representing the c.1799 T>A substitution by AS-PCR and have used dideoxysequencing to verify our results. In nine cases, we were able to detect the mutation by AS-PCR approach; however, the mutations have been confirmed by dideoxysequencing in four cases only. AS-PCR is fast and low cost method for the detection of V600E mutation which was validated as a sensitive assay for the identification of the most common BRAF mutation in DNA extracted from paraffin-embedded tissue of WT GISTs.
5. Agaram NP Wong GC Guo T et al. Novel V600E BRAF mutations in imatinib-naive and imatinib-resistant gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 2008; 47 (10): 853-9.
6. Agaimy A Terracciano LM Dirnhofer S et al. V600E BRAF mutations are alternative early molecular events in a subset of KIT/PDGFRA wild-type gastrointestinal stromal tumours. J Clin Pathol 2009; 62 (7): 613-6.
7. Rajagopalan H Bardelli A Lengauer C et al. Tumorigenesis: RAF/RAS oncogenes and mismatch-repair status. Nature 2002; 418 (6901): 934.
8. Singer G Oldt R Cohen Y et al. Mutations in BRAF and KRAS charac terize the development of low-grade ovarian serous carcinoma. J Natl Cancer Inst 2003; 95 (6): 484–6.
9. Minarik G Plank L Lasabova Z et al. Spectrum of mutations in gastrointestinal stromal tumor patients-apopulation-based study from Slovakia. APMIS 2013; 121 (6): 539-548.
10. Zwick E Bange J Ullrich A. Receptor tyrosine kinase signalling as a target for cancer intervention strategies. Endocr Relat Cancer 2001; 8 (3): 161-173.
11. Liu J Huang S Sun M et al. An improved allele-specific PCR primer design method for SNP marker analysis and its application. Plan Methods 2012; 8 (34).
12. Kang HY Hwang JY Kim SH et al. Comparison of allele specific oligonucleotide-polymerase chain reaction and direct sequencing for high throughput screening of ABL kinase domain mutations in chronic myeloid leukemia resistant to imatinib. Haematologica 2006; 91 (5): 659-662.
13. Krieken Van JH Jung A Kirchner T et al. KRAS mutation testing for predicting response to anti-EGFR therapy for colorectal carcinoma: proposal for an European quality assurance program. Virchows Arch 2008; 5 (453): 417-431.