Double perovskite-type oxide Ca2BMoO6 materials, where B = Cr, La and Sm, were prepared by the sol-gel auto-combustion method for the first time. The role of different B-site cations on their synthesis, structures, and magnetic properties was investigated. The synthesis progress was followed by the Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and the samples’ structure was investigated by X-ray diffraction. The increase of the ionic radii B leads to the decrease of the t-value which reflects the structural distortion from the ideal cubic perovskite. Magnetization measurements were made with a SQUID magnetometer. All compounds are ferimagnetic and magnetic properties are indirectly influenced by the distortion degree of the lattice and disorder on the B/B’ positions
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Andreson M. T. Greenwood K.B. Taylor G.A. Poppelmeier K. R. B-cation arrangements in double perovskite. Progr. Solid State Chem. 1993 22 197-233.
2. Kobayashi K. I. Kimura T. Sawada H. Terakura K. Tokura Y. Roomtemperature en magnetoresistance in an oxide material with an ordered doubleperovskite structure. Nature. 1998 395 677-680.
3. Chan T. S. Liu R. S Guo G. Y. Hu S. F. Lin J. G. Lee J.-F. Jang L.-Y. Chang C.-R. Huang C. Y. Structural electrical and magnetic characterization of the double perovskites Sr2CrMO6 (M = Mo W): B′ 4d-5d system. Solid State Commun. 2004 131 531-535.
4. Tian S. Z. Zhao J. C. Qiao C. D. Ji X. L. Jiang B. Z. Structure and properties of the ordered double perovskites Sr2MWO6 (M=Co Ni) by sol-gel route. Mater. Lett. 2006 60 2747-2750.
5. Choy J.-H. Park J.-H. Hong S.-T. Kim D.-K. Competition of covalency between CrIII-O and TaV-O bonds in the perovskites Ca2CrTaO6 and Sr2CrTaO6. J. Solid State Chem. 1994 111 370-379.
6. Kanaiwa Y. Wakeshima M. Hinatsu Y. Synthesis crystal structure and magnetic properties of ordered perovskites Sr2LnTaO6 (Ln = lanthanides). Mater. Res. Bull. 2002 37 1825-1836.
7. Brunckova H. Medvecky Ľ. & Hvizdoš P. Effect of substrate on phase formation and surface morphology of sol-gel lead-free KNbO3 NaNbO3 and K0.5Na0.5NbO3 thin films. Chem. Pap. 2012 66 748-756.
8. Wu L. Y. Ma J. M. Huang H. B. Tian R. F. Zheng W. J. & Hsia Y. F. Hydrothermal synthesis and 121Sb Mossbauer characterization of perovskitetype oxides:Ba2SbLnO6 (Ln = Pr Nd Sm Eu). Mater. Charact. 2010 61 548-553.
9. Jacobo S. E. Novel method of synthesis for double perovskite Sr2FeMoO6. J. Mater. Sci 2005 40 417-421.
10. Blosi M. Albonetti S. Dondi M. Costa A. L. Ardit M. & Cruciani G. Sol-gel combustion synthesis of chromium doped yttrium aluminum perovskites. J. Sol-Gel Sci. Technol. 2009 50 449-455
11. Lavat A. E. & Baran J. E. Synthesis and characterization of Ca2CoTaO6 a new monoclinically distorted double perovskite. Material Research 2011 14 472-472.
12. Lufaso M. W & Woodward P.M. Prediction of the crystal structures of perovskites using the software program SPuDS. Acta Crystallographica Section B. 2001 57 725-738.
13. Lin Q. Greenblatt M. Caspi El’ad N. Avdeev M. Crystallographic and magnetic properties of CaLaMnMoO6 double perovskite J. Solid State Chem. 2006 179 7 2086-2092.
14. Munoz A. Alonso J. A. Casais M. T. Martinez-Lope M. J. Fernandez- Diaz M. T. Crystal and magnetic structure of the complex oxides Sr2MnMoO6 Sr2MnWO6 and Ca2MnWO6: a neutron diffraction study. J. Phys. Condens. Mat. 2002 14 38 8817-8830.
15. Lavat A. E. Baran E. J. IR-spectroscopic characterization of A2BB’O6 perovskites. Vib. Spectrosc. A. 2003 32 167-174.
16. Martinez-Lope M. J. Alonso J. A. Casais M. T. Garcia-Hernandez M. Pomjakushin V. Preparation structural study from neutron diffraction data and magnetism of the disordered perovskite Ca(Cr0.5Mo0.5)O3. J. Solid State Chem. 2006 179 8 2506-2510