Perovskite-type LaCoO3 was prepared by sol-gel method using nitrates / chlorides as precursors and citric acid as chelating agent. Chemical composition was obtained by means of EDX method. The structures of sintered samples were investigated by scanning electron microscopy (SEM), IR and XRD analysis. The results of X-ray diffraction indicated that the LaCoO3nanopowders obtained using nitrate as precursors had a rhombohedral perovskite-type crystal structure (S. G: R-3c), while that obtained using chloride as precursors had a mixture of LaCoO3, LaOCl and Co3O4. The all lanthanum cobaltites exhibit catalytic activity on the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide, ascribed to their higher surface and Co3+ concentration
1. Pena, M. A., Fierro, J. L. G. Chemical structures and performance of perovskite oxides. Chem. Rev. 2001, 101, 1981-2017.
2. Ding, R., Qi, L., Jia, M., Wang, H. Sodium dodecyl sulfate-assisted hydrothermal synthesis of mesoporous nickel cobaltite nanopaticles with enhanced catalytic activity for methanol electrooxidation J. Power Sources 2014, 251, 287-295.
3. Matei, C., Berger, D., Marote, P., Stoleriu, S., Deloume, J. P. Lanthanumbased perovskites obtained in molten nitrates or nitrites. Progress in Solid State Chemistry 2007, 35, 203-209.
4. Sompech, S., Nuntiva, A. Influence of soluble salt matrix on mechanochemical synthesis of lanthanum cobaltate nanoparticles. Orient. J. Chem. 2012, 28, 319-325.
5. Yang, Z., Huang, Y., Dong, B., Li, H.-L., Shi, S.-Q. Sol-gel template synthesis and characterization of LaCoO3 nanowires. Appl. Phys. A 2006, 84, 117-122.
6. Huang, B., Cao, M., Nie, F., Huang, H., Hu, C. Construction and properties of structure and size-controlled micro/nano-energetic materials. Defence technology 2013, 9, 59-79.
7. Rousseau, F., Nikravech, M., Benabdelmoumene, L., Guyon, F., Morvan D., Amouroux, B. Electrochemical studies on Sr doped LaMnO3 and LaCoO3 layers synthesised in a low-pressure plasma reactor equipped with a convergent nozzle. J. Applied Electrochem. 2007, 37, 95-101.
8. Ushkalov, L. M., Vasylyev, O. D., Pryschepa, Ye. G., Samelyuk, A. V., Melakh, V. G. Synthesis and study of LSCF perovskites for IT SOFC cathode application, ECTS Transactions 2009, 25(2), 2421-2426.
9. Magyari-Kope, B., Vitos, L., Johansson, B., Kollar, J. Origin of octahedral tilting in othorombic perovskites Phys. Rev. B 2002, 66, 092103-4.
10. Radaelli, P. G., Cheong, S. W. Structural phenomena associated with the spinstate transition on LaCoO3 Phys. Rev. B 2002, 66, 094408-9.
11. Araki, W., Malzbender, J., Arai, Y. Molecular dynamics study on the nature of ferroelasticity and piezoconductivity of lanthanum cobaltite, Solid State Ionics 2014, (in press) (dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ssi.2014.01.017, 4 pages).
12. Bosomoiu, M., Bozga, G., Berger, D., Matei, C. Studies on combustion catalytic activity of some pure and doped lanthanum cobaltites. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 2008, 84, 758-765.
13. Cornei, N., Craus, M.-L. Influence of the rare earth cation (Ln =La, Nd, Sm) on the properties in the Ln0.44Ho0.11Sr0.45MnO3± manganite oxides. J. Alloys Compounds, 2004, 368, 58-61.
14. Pishahang, M., Bakken, E., Stolen, S., Larring, Y., Thomas, C. I. Oxygen nonstoichiometry and redox thermodynamics of LaMn1−xCoxO3−δ. Solid State Ionics, 2013, 231, 49-57.
15. Grice, S. C., Flavell, W. R., Thomas, A. G., Warren, S., Marr, P. G. D., Jewitt, D. E., Khan, N., Dunwoody, P. M., Jones, S. A. Electronic structure and reactivity of TM-doped La1-xSrxCoO3 (TM=Ni, Fe) heterogeneous catalysts. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2001, 2, 197-210.
16. Dziubaniuk, M., Trzęsiec, M., Pasierb, P., Rękas, M. Application of anionconducting lanthanum oxychloride for potentiometric chlorine gas sensors. Solid State Ionics 2012, 225, 324-327.
17. Roisnel, T., Rodriguez-Carvajal, J. Win PLOTR: a Windows tool for powder diffraction patterns analysis Materials Science Forum, Proceedings of the Seventh European Powder Diffraction Conference (EPDIC 7). Ed. R. Delhez and E.J. Mittenmeijer, 2000; pp. 118-123.
18. Nakamoto, K. Infrared and Raman spectra of inorganic and coordination compounds, Part A, 5th ed., John Wiley Inc., New York, 1997.
19. Naidu, B.S., Gupta, U., Maitra, U., Rao, C. N. R. Visible light induced oxidation of water by rare earth manganites, cobaltites and related oxides.Chem. Phys. Lett. 2014, 591, 277-281.