The main purpose of the study is to investigate the mechanical properties around an underground gas storage cavern in bedded salt rock. Firstly, considering the characteristics of the salt rock formation in China, the mechanical model was simplified into a hollow cylinder, which containing non-salt interlayer. In terms of elastic theory, Love displacement function was developed, and the elastic general solution of stress and deformation components were obtained after determining the undetermined coefficients. Under the same condition, numerical simulation was carried out. The validity of the elastic general solution is verified by comparing to numerical simulation results. Furthermore, Based on the feasible general elastic solution, viscoelastic solution was obtained through Laplace transformation and inverse Laplace transform, which could provide reference for the study on the stability and tightness of underground gas storage carven during operation to some extent.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. T. Schulze and H. K. Popp “Development of damage and permeability in deforming rock salt” Engineering Geology. vol.61 pp.163-180 2001.
2. C. D. L. Cuevas L. Miralles and J. J. Pukyo “The effect of geological parameters on radiation damage in salt rock: application to salt rock repositories” Nuclear Technology. vol.114 pp.325-336 1996.
3. K. Staudtmeister and R. B. Rokahr “Rock mechanical design of storage caverns for natural gas in salt rock mass” Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. vol.34 pp.646 1997.
4. W. G. Liang Y. S. Zhao and S. G. Xu “Oil and gas storage and nuclear waste disposal in salt rock deposit” Journal of Taiyuan University of Technology. vol.36 pp.440-443 2005.
5. C. H. Yang T. T. Wang Y. P. Li H. J. Y J. J. Li D. A. Qu B. C. Xu Y. Yang and J.J.K. “Daemen. Feasibility analysis of using abandoned salt caverns for large-scale underground energy storage in China” Applied Energy. vol.137 pp. 467-481 2015.
6. P. Bérest and B. Brouard “Safety of salt caverns used for underground storage blow out; mechanical instability; seepage; cavern abandonment” Oil Gas Sci. Technol. vol.58 pp.361-384 2003.
7. Y. Charnavel and N. Lubin “Insoluble deposit in salt cavern—test case. Proceedings of SMRI Fall” In Technical Conference Bad Ischl Austria. 2002.
8. G. Crossley and N. Graeme “Sonar surveys used in gas-storage cavern analysis” Oil Gas J. vol.96 pp. 96-108 1998.
9. P. Weidinger A. Hampel W. Blum U. Hunshe “Creep behaviour of natural rock salt and its description with the compositemodel.Mater” Sci. Eng. pp.234-236 1997.
10. K. H. Lux and S. Heusermann “Creep tests on rock salt with changing load as a basis for the verify-cation of theoretical material laws” in Proceeding of 6th Symposium on Salt 1983 pp. 417-435.
11. W. G. Liang Y. S. Zhao and S. G. Xu “Testing study on physical and mechanical properties of heated salt rock within 240ć” Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering. vol.23 pp.2365-2369 2004.
12. W. G. Liang S. G. Xu and Y. S. Zhao “Experimental study on heating recrystallization effect on shear characteristics of damaged rock salt” Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering. vol.23 pp. 3413-3417 2004.
13. L. J. Ma X. Y. Liu H. F. Xu R. P. Hua C H. Li L. Zhang and C. Wang “Deformation and strength properties of rock salt subjected to triaxial compression with cyclic loading” Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering. vol.32 pp.849-856 2013.
14. D. E. Munson and P. R. Dawson Proc. First Conf. on the Mechanical Behavior of Salt Trans. Tech. Publications Clausthal Germany. 1984.
15. C. J. Peavh and C. J. Spiers “Influence of crystal plastic deformation on dilatancy and permeability development in synthetic salt rock”. Tectonophysics. vol.256 pp.101-128 1996.
16. J. C. Stormont “In-situ gas permeability measurements to delineate damage in rock salt”. International Journal of Rock Mechanic sand Mining Sciences. vol.34 pp.1055-1064 1997.
17. X. P. Gao C. H. Yang W. Wu and J. Liu “Experimental studies on temperature dependent properties of creep of rock salt”. Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering. vol.24 pp.2054-2059 2005.
18. W. G. Liang S. G. Xu Y. S. Zhao and C H. Yang “Experimental study on creep property of rock salt” Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering. vol.25 pp.1387-1390 2006.
19. W. Z. Chen Z. C. Wang G. J. Wu J P. Yang and B. P. Zhang “Nonlinear creep damage constitutive model of rock salt and its application to engineering”. Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering. vol.26 pp.467-472 2007.
20. Y. P. Li J. Liu and C. H. Yang “Influence of mudstone interlayer on deformation and failure characteristics of salt rock”. Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering. vol. 25 pp.2461-2466 2006.
21. W. Liu Y. P. Li D. L. Yin C. H. Yang C. Du X. C. Zhan and G. M. Zhang “Analysis of deformation and fracture characteristics of salt rock with tilted interlayer”. Rock and Soil Mechanics. vol.34 pp.645-652 2013.
22. W. Liu Y. P. Li C. H. Yang H. L. Ma J. X. Liu B. W. Wang and X. L. Huang “Investigation on permeable characteristics and tightness evaluation of typical interlayer of energy storage caverns in bedded salt rock formations”. Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering. vol.33 pp.500-506 2014.
23. Y. Li Q Y. Zhang C. Jia J. Liu S. C. Li and C. H. Yang “Fault tree analysis of salt cavern storage during its operational period”. Rock and Soil Mechanics. vol.32 pp.1125-1137 2011.
24. L. J. Ma H. F. Xu M. Y. Wang and E B. Li “Numerical study of gas storage stability in bedded rock salt during the complete process of operation pressure runaway”. Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering. vol.34 pp.4108-4115 2015.
25. S. Ren X. Y. Li D. Y. Jiang X. S. Wang and C. H. Yang “Evaluating stability of salt rock gas storage during operation period”. Rock and Soil Mechanics. vol.32 pp.1465-1472 2011.
26. C. Jia K. Zhang Q. Y. Zhang “Study of time-variant system reliability analytical method for underground salt rock storage group with multiple failure modes during operation period”. Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering. vol.32 pp.926-934 2013.
27. W. Wang H. F. Xu M. Jiang and Q. Fang “Theoretical analytical solution of stress distribution in elasticity stage of spherical cavity storage cavern in salt rock”. Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering. vol.31 pp.3731-3739 2012.
28. Z. H. Zhu B. G. Wang and D Z. Guo Pavement mechanical analysis. Beijing: People’s Communication Press 1985.
29. Z. L. Xu Elastic theory. Beijing: People’s Education Press 1996.
30. G. Q. Zhou and X. M. Liu Viscoelastic theory. Beijing: Chinese Science and Technology Press 1996.
31. M. F. Cai M. C. He and D. Y. Liu Rock Mechanics and Engineering. Beijing: Science Press 2002.
32. G. F. Wang “Viscoelastic stress analysis of in circlar tunnels”. Engineering mechanics. vol. 7 pp. 106-127 1990.
33. G..J. Wang and P. Xie “Theoretical Analysis of Gas and Oil Storage Cavern in Bedded Salt Rock Using a Love Function”. Applied Mechanics and Materials. vol. 204-208 pp 1499-1502 2012.