In the paper the results of experimental investigations concerning flat slabs made from reinforced lightweight concrete with sintered fly ash aggregate CERTYD were presented. In the research program 6 models made in a natural scale were included. The main variable parameter was slab longitudinal reinforcement ratio. The aim of investigation was the experimental verification of efficiency of double-headed studs as punching shear reinforcement. In the existing technical approvals such kind of reinforcement was allowed only in normal concrete slabs. It was demonstrated that double-headed studs can be an effective transverse reinforcement of lightweight aggregate concrete slabs. The use of double-headed studs resulted in increase in the ultimate load from 19% to 44%, depending on the slab reinforcement ratio which ranged from 0.5% to 1.2%. The comparative analysis showed that the Eurocode 2 provisions were conservative in relation to the experimental results, which were on average 42% higher than the theoretical ones however with a very low 7% coefficient of variation.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. ACI 318-63 “Building code requirements for reinforced concrete (ACI 318-63)” American Concrete Institute Farmington Hills 1963.
2. Caratelli A. Imperatore S. Meda A. Rinaldi Z. “Punching shear behavior of lightweight fibre reinforced concrete slabs” Composites Part B: Engineering V. 99 2016 pp. 257-265.
3. Carmo R.N.F. Costa H. Rodrigues M. “Experimental study of punching failure in LWAC slabs with different strengths” Materials and Structures V. 49 No. 7 July 2016 pp. 2611-2626.
4. Corley W.G. Hawkins N.M. “Shearhead Reinforcement for Slabs” ACI Journal Proceedings. V. 65. No. 10. October 1968 pp. 811-824.
5. EN 1992-1-1:2004 “Eurocode 2: Design of concrete structures – Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings” European Committee for Standardisation Brussels 2004.
6. European Technical Approval ETA-12/0454 “HALFEN HDB shear rail: Double-headed studs as punching reinforcement” Deutsches Institut für Bautechnik December 2012.
7. Model Code 2010 “fib Model Code for Concrete Structures 2010. Final draft” Fédération internationale du béton October 2013.
8. Hognestad E. Elstner R.C. Hanson J.A. “Shear Strength of Reinforced Structural Lightweight Aggregate Concrete Slabs”. ACI Journal Proceedings. V. 61. No. 6. June 1964 pp. 643-656.
9. Ivy C.B. Ivey D.L.. Buth E: “Shear Strength of Lightweight Aggregate Reinforced Concrete Flat Slabs” ACI Journal Proceedings. V. 66 No. 6 June 1969 pp. 490-493.
10. Marzouk H.. Osman M. Helmy S. “Behavior of High-Strength Lightweight Aggregate Concrete Slabs under Column Load and Unbalanced Moment” ACI Structural Journal V. 97. No. 6 November-December 2000 pp. 860-866.
11. Marzouk H. Osman M. Hussein A. „Cyclic Loading of High-Strength Lightweight Concrete Slabs” ACI Structural Journal. V. 98 No. 2 March-April 2001 pp. 207-214.
12. Osman M. Marzouk H. Helmy S. “Behavior of High-Strength Lightweight Concrete Slabs under Punching Loads” ACI Structural Journal V. 97. No. 3. May-June 2000 pp. 492-498.
13. Urban T. Sitnicki M. “Badania eksperymentalne żelbetowych złączy płyt-słup wzmocnionych zbrojeniem poprzecznym typu ″Bauma″” XLIX Konferencja Naukowa KILiW PAN i KN PZITB 2003 pp. 87-94.
14. Urban T. Sitnicki M. Tarka J. “Investigation of slab – column connections externally strengthened on punching” Report no 18 Department of Concrete Structures Lodz University of Technology Łódź 2012.
15. Youm K-S. Kim J.J. Moon J. “Punching shear failure of slab with lightweight aggregate concrete (LWAC) and low reinforcement ratio” Construction and Building Materials V. 65 August 2014 pp. 92-102.