Wood plastic composite (WPC) is a lightweight material, resistant against corrosion and damage, with recyclability of consuming materials. These materials usually used in marine structures frequently due to their unique features. In order to strengthen beams made by this material, usually Fibre-reinforced plastic (FRP) sheets are used, and one of the fracture modes in these beams is debonding of FRP sheet from the surface of the beams. To deal with this problem some grooves are used in the surface of the beam to improve the contact surface. The grooves include longitudinal, transverse and diagonal grooves. The main goal of this study is to assess different grooving methods in WPC-FRP beams. In this regard, primarily criteria (improving resistance, performance speed, performance complexity, performance costs, displacement and absorbing energy) were determined through interviews with experts in this field in order to assess the beams. Then, SWARA method employed to evaluate criteria with a policy based perspective and finally EDAS method applied for evaluating related alternatives. Based on obtained results, the longitudinal groove method is the best way of strengthening WPC beams to prevent debonding.
6. O. Gunes O. Buyukozturk E. Karaca „A fracture-based model for FRP debonding in strengthened beams” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 76(12): 1897-1909 2009.
7. F. F. Wangaard “Elastic deflection of wood–fiberglass composite beams” Forest Products Journal 14(6): 256–260 1964.
8. K. J. Haiar “Performance and design of prototype wood– plastic composite section” Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (Master thesis) Washington State University Pullman (WA) 2000.
9. J. R. Gilfillan S. G. Gilbert G. R. H. Patrick “The Use of FRP Composites in Enhancing the Structural Behavior of Timber Beams” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites 22(15): 1373-1388 2003.
10. A. Borri M. Corradi A. Grazini “A method for flexural reinforcement of old wood beams with CFRP materials” Composites Part B: Engineering 36(2): 143-153 2005.
11. R. Lopez-Anido A. P. Michael T. C. Sandford “Experimental characterization of FRP composite-wood pile structural response by bending tests” Marine Structures 16(4) ; 257-274 2003.
12. C. P. Pantelides P. Romero L. D. Reaveley “Rehabilitation of splice connections of wood trusses with FRP composites” Construction and Building Materials 24(1): 37-45 2010.
13. M. Naghipour M. Nematzadeh Q. Yahyazadeh “Analytical and experimental study on flexural performance of WPC–FRP beams” Construction and Building Materials 25(2): 829-837 2011.
14. D. Mostofinejad A. T. Kashani “Experimental study on effect of EBR and EBROG methods on debonding of FRP sheets used for shear strengthening of RC beams” Composites: Part B 45: 1704–1713 2013.
15. M. Naghipour Arefi S. Lale M. Nematzadeh “Performance of longitudinal grooves to prevent debonding of GFRP sheets used for the reinforcement of WPC beams” European Journal of Environmental and Civil Engineering 17(9): 761-776 2013.
16. Arefi S. Lale M. Naghipour Z. Turskis M. Nematzadeh “Evaluation of grooving method to postpone debonding of FRP laminates in WPC-FRP beams” Journal of Civil Engineering and Management 20(2): 237-246 2014.
17. D. Mostofinejad A. Moghaddas “Bond efficiency of EBR and EBROG methods in different flexural failure mechanisms of FRP strengthened RC beams” Construction and Building Materials 54: 605–614 2014.
18. D. Mostofinejad E. Mahmoudabadi “Grooving as Alternative Method of Surface Preparation to Postpone Debonding of FRP Laminates in Concrete Beams” Journal of Composites for Construction 14(6) https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000117 (2010).
19. D. Mostofinejad S. M. Shameli A. Hosseini “EBROG and EBRIG methods for strengthening of RC beams by FRP sheets” European Journal of Environmental and Civil Engineering 18(6): 652-668 2014.
20. N. Moshirim A. Hosseini D. Mostofinejad “Strengthening of RC columns by longitudinal CFRP sheets: Effect of strengthening technique”. Construction and Building Materials 79 (2015): 318–325 2015.
21. D. Mostofinejad A. Torabian “Experimental Study of Circular RC Columns Strengthened with Longitudinal CFRP Composites under Eccentric Loading: Comparative Evaluation of EBR and EBROG Methods” Journal of Composites for Construction 20(2): 04015055-1:15 2016.
22. D. Mostofinejad A. Akhlaghi “Efficiency of Grooving Method Used for Deficient RC Beam-Column Joints Seismically Rehabilitated with CFRP Sheets” High Tech Concrete: Where Technology and Engineering Meet Springer 849-857 2017.
23. B. Juodagalvienė Z. Turskis J. Saparauskas A. “Endriukaitytė Integrated multi-criteria evaluation of house’s plan shape based on the EDAS and SWARA methods” Engineering Structures and Technologies 9(3): 117-125 2017.
24. Zolfani S. Hashemkhani J. Saparauskas “New Application of SWARA Method in Prioritizing Sustainability Assessment Indicators of Energy System” Inzinerine Ekonomika-Engineering Economics 24(5): 408-414 2013.
25. D. Stanujkic D. Karabasevic E. K. Zavadskas “A framework for the Selection of a packaging design based on the SWARA method” Inzinerine Ekonomika-Engineering Economics 26(2): 181-187 2015.
26. T. L. Saaty “The Analytic Hierarchy Process: Planning Priority Setting Resources Allocation” London McGraw-Hill 1980.
27. T. L. Saaty “Decision making with dependence and feedback: the analytic network process” Pittsburgh PA: RWS Publications 2001.
28. R. Ginevicius “A new determining method for the criteria weights in multi-criteria evaluation” International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making 10(6): 1067-1095 2011.
30. R. Haghnazar Kouchaksaraei Zolfani S. Hashemkhani M. Golabchi “Glasshouse locating based on SWARACOPRAS approach” International Journal of Strategic Property Management 19(2): 111-122 2015.
31. M. Vafaeipour Zolfani S. Hashemkhani Varzandeh M. H. Morshed A. Derakhti Eshkalag M. “Keshavarz Assessment of regions priority for implementation of solar plants in Iran: New application of a hybrid multi-criteria decision making approach” Energy Conversion and Management 86: 653-663 2014.
32. Zolfani S. Hashemkhani M. Pourhossein M. Yazdani E. K. Zavadskas “Evaluating construction projects of hotels based on environmental sustainability with MCDM framework” Alexandria Engineering Journal https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aej.2016.11.002 2017. (In press).
33. M. R. Khodadadi Zolfani S. Hashemkhani M. Yazdani E. K. Zavadskas “A hybrid MADM analysis in evaluating process of chemical wastewater purification regarding to advance oxidation processes” Journal of Environmental Engineering and Landscape Management 25(3): 277-288 2017.
34. Asl G. Karimi E. Karimi Zolfani S. Hashemkhani J. Saparauskas “Analyzing LARG supply chain management co mpetitive strategies in Iranian cement industries” E+M Ekonomie a Management 20(3): 70-83 2017.
35. J. Nakhaei Arefi S. Lale M. Bitarafan S. Kildiene “Evaluation of light supply in the public underground safe spaces by using of COPRAS-SWARA methods” International Journal of Strategic Property Management 2-0(2): 198-206 2016.
36. J. Nakhaei M. Bitarafan Arefi S. Lale O. Kapliński “Model for rapid assessment of vulnerability of office buildings to blast using SWARA and SMART methods (a case study of swiss re tower)” Journal of Civil Engineering and Management 22 (6): 831-843 2016.
37. D. Karabasevic E. K. Zavadskas Z. Turskis D. Stanujkic “The framework for the selection of personnel based on the SWARA and ARAS methods under uncertainties” Informatica 27(1): 49-65 2016.
38. D. Karabasevic J. Paunkovic D. Stanujkic „Ranking of companies according to the indicators of corporate social responsibility based on SWARA and ARAS methods” Serbian Journal of Management 11(1): 43-53 2016.
39. M. Yazdani Zolfani S.Hashemkhani E. K. Zavadskas “New integration of MCDM methods and QFD in the selection of green suppliers” Journal of Business Economics and Management 17(6): 1097-1113 2016.
40. D. Karabasevic D. Stanujkic S. Urosevic M. Maksimovic “Selection of candidates in the mining industry based on the application of the SWARA and the MULTIMOORA methods” Acta Montanistica Slovaca: 20(2) 116-124 2015.
41. Hashemkhani Zolfani S. Salimi J. Maknoon R. Kildiene S. (2015). Technology Foresight About R&D Projects Selection; Application of SWARA Method at the Policy Making Level Inzinerine Ekonomika-Engineering Economics 26(5) 571-580.
42. M. R. Ghorshi Nezhad Zolfani S. Hashemkhani F. Moztarzadeh E. K. Zavadskas M. Bahrami “Planning the priority of high tech industries based on SWARA-WASPAS methodology: The case of the nanotechnology industry in Iran” Economic Research-Ekonomska Istraživanja 28(1): 1111-1137 2015.
43. M. Bitarafan S. Hashemkhani Zolfani S. Lale Arefi E. K. Zavadskas A. Mahmoudzadeh “Evaluation of real-time intelligent sensors for structural health monitoring of bridges based on SWARA-WASPAS; a case in Iran” The Baltic Journal of Road and Bridge Engineering 9(4): 333-340 2014.
44. M. Keshavarz Ghorabaee E. K. Zavadskas L. Olfat Z. Turskis “Multi-Criteria Inventory Classification Using a New Method of Evaluation Based on Distance from Average Solution (EDAS)” Informatica 26(3): 435-451 2015.
45. E. K. Zavadskas Z. Turskis J. Antucheviciene A. Zakarevicius “Optimization of weighted aggregated sum product assessment” Electronics and Electrical Engineering (6): 3–6 (2012).
46. Ghorabaee M. Keshavarz E. K. Zavadskas Z. Turskis J. Antucheviciene “A new combinative distance-based assessment (CODAS) method for multi-criteria decision-making” Economic Computation and Economic Cybernetics Studies and Research 50(3): 25-44 2016.
47. D. Stanujkic E. K. Zavadskas Ghorabaee M. Keshavarz Z. Turskis “An Extension of the EDAS Method Based on the Use of Interval Grey Numbers” Studies in Informatics and Control 26(1) 5-12 2017.
48. E. K. Zavadskas F. Cavallaro V. Podvezko U. Ubarte A. Kaklauskas “MCDM Assessment of a Healthy and Safe Built Environment According to Sustainable Development Principles: A Practical Neighborhood Approach in Vilnius” Sustainability 9(702) doi:10.3390/su9050702 2017.
49. Ghorabaee M. Keshavarz M. Amiri E. K. Zavadskas Z. Turskis “Multi-Criteria group decision-making using an extended EDAS method with interval Type-2 fuzzy sets” E&M Economics and Management 20(1): 48-68 2017.
50. E. Trinkūnienėa V. Podvezko E. K. Zavadskas I. Jokšienė I. Vinogradova V. Trinkūnas “Evaluation of quality assurance in contractor contracts by multi-attribute decision-making methods” Economic Research-Ekonomska Istraživanja 30(1): 1152-1180 2017.
51. C. Kahraman Ghorabaee M. Keshavarz E. K. Zavadskas Onar S. Cevik M. Yazdani B. Oztaysi “Intuitionistic fuzzy EDAS method: an application to solid waste disposal site selection” Journal of Environmental Engineering and Landscape Management 25(1): 1-12 2017.