The paper presents numerical and experimental research on glulam delamination in a double lap connection with predominant shear stresses. Laboratory tests and wide literature survey enabled to determine timber and glue joint parameters. Cohesive zone theory, generally used for epoxy matrix and fiber reinforced composites, was adopted to modelling glue layer delamination in glulam elements. Numerical models were validated with laboratory tests.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. V. A. Franklin, T. Christopher, “Fracture Energy Estimation of DCB Specimens Made of Glass/Epoxy: An Experimental Study”, Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 2013.
2. K. Kumar, S. Rao, N. Gopikrishna, “Evaluation of strain energy release rate of epoxy glass fibre laminate (mode - I)”, International Education And Research Journal 3(1), 2017.
3. B. R. K. Blackman, A.J. Kinloch, M. Paraschi, “The determination of the mode II adhesive fracture resistance, GIIC, of structural adhesive joints: an effective crack length approach”, In Engineering Fracture Mechanics 72 (6), pp. 877-897, 2005.
4. M. F. S. F. de Moura, R. D. S. G. Campilho, J. P. M. Gonçalves, “Pure mode II fracture characterization of composite bonded joints”, In International Journal of Solids and Structures 46 (6), pp. 1589-1595, 2009.
5. N. T. Mascia, F. A. R. Lahr, “Remarks on orthotropic elastic models applied to wood”, Materials Research 9(3), pp. 301-310, 2006.
6. G. Castro, F. Paganini, Holz Roh Werkst 61 291, 2003.
7. S. Aicher, D. Ohnesorge, European Journal of Wood and Wood Products 69 143, 2011.
8. Y. Jiang, J. Schaffrath, M. Knorz, S. Winter, J. W. G. Van de Kuilen, “Applicability of various wood species in glued laminated timber: Parameter study on delamination resistance and shear strength”, WCTE 2014: Proceedings of the World Conference on Timber Engineering, 2014.
9. D. H. de Almeida, R. S. Cavalheiro, L. B. de Macêdo, C. C. Neto, A. L. Christoforo, C. C. Junior, F. A. R. Lahr, “Evaluation of Quality in the Adhesion of Glued Laminated Timber (Glulam) of Paricá and Lyptus Wood Species”, International Journal of Materials Engineering 4(3), pp. 114-118, 2014.
10. E. Serrano, “Adhesive Joints in Timber Engineering. Modelling and Testing of Fracture Properties Division of Structural Mechanics”, Lund University, 2000.
11. S. Fortino, G. Zagari, A. L. Mendicino, G. Dill-Langer, “A simple approach for FEM simulation of Mode I cohesive crack growth in glued laminated timber under short-term loading”, Rakenteiden Mekaniikka (Journal of Structural Mechanics) 45(1), pp. 1-20, 2012.
12. V. Z. Wang, J. D. Ginger, K. Narayan, “Intralaminar and interlaminar fracture characterization in glued-laminated timber members using image analysis”, In Engineering Fracture Mechanics 82, pp. 73-84, 2012.
13. S. G. Lekhnitskii, “Theory of Elasticity of an Anisotropic Elastic Body”, Mir Publishers, 1981.
14. R. M. Jones, Mechanics of Composite Materials. Second Edition, pp. 55-73, 1999.
15. B. Kawecki, J. Podgórski, “Numerical results quality in dependence on Abaqus plane stress elements type in big displacements compression test” Applied Computer Science, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 56–64 (2017). doi: 10.23743/acs-2017-29
16. P. P. Gillis, Wood Science and Technology 6: 138, 1972.
17. K. Song, C. G. Davila, C. A. Rose, “Guidelines and Parameter Selection for the Simulation of Progressive Delamination”, ABAQUS Users’ Conference, 2007.
18. M. J. Lee, T. M. Cho, W. S. Kim, B. C. Lee, J. J. Lee, “Determination of cohesive parameters for a mixed-mode cohesive zone model”, In International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 30 (5), pp. 322-328, 2010.
19. M. Moslemi, M. Khoshravan, “Cohesive Zone Parameters Selection for Mode-I Prediction of Interfacial Delamination”, Strojniški vestnik - Journal of Mechanical Engineering 61(9), pp. 507-516, 2015.
20. B. Kawecki, J. Podgórski, “Numerical model of glulam beam delamination in dependence on cohesive strength” AIP Conference Proceedings 1922, 050005 (2018). doi: https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5019059
21. S. Clauß, J. Gabriel, A. Karbach, et al, “Influence of the adhesive formulation on the mechanical properties and bonding performance of polyurethane prepolymers”, Holzforschung 65(6), pp. 835-844, 2011.
22. O. Kläusler, S. Clauß, L. Lübke, J. Trachsel, P. Niemz, “Influence of moisture on stress–strain behaviour of adhesives used for structural bonding of wood”, In International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives 44, pp. 57-65, 2013.
23. Z. Mróz, K. P. Mróz, “Analysis of delamination and damage growth in joined bi-layer systems”, In Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment 4, pp. 4-28, 2015.