Numerical analysis of the tensioning cables anchorage zone of a bridge superstructure is presented in this paper. It aims to identify why severe concrete cracking occurs during the tensioning process in the vicinity of anchor heads. In order to simulate the tensioning, among others, a so-called local numerical model of a section of the bridge superstructure was created in the Abaqus Finite Element Method (FEM) environment. The model contains all the important elements of the analyzed section of the concrete bridge superstructure, namely concrete, reinforcement and the anchoring system. FEM analyses are performed with the inclusion of both material and geometric nonlinearities. Concrete Damage Plasticity (CDP) constitutive relation from Abaqus is used to describe nonlinear concrete behaviour, which enables analysis of concrete damage and crack propagation. These numerical FEM results are then compared with actual crack patterns, which have been spotted and inventoried at the bridge construction site.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Abaqus 6.14 manual.
2. M. Bernat, A. Janowski, S. Rzepa, A. Sobieraj, J. Szulwic, "Studies on the use of terrestrial laser scanning in the maintenance of buildings belonging to the cultural heritage", Proceedings of the 14th Geoconference on Informatics, Geoinformatics and Remote Sensing, SGEM.ORG, Albena, Bulgaria, Vol. 3, pp 307-318, 2014.
3. J. Chróścielewski J., A. Mariak, A. Sabik, B. Meronk, K. Wilde, "Monitoring of concrete curing in extradosed bridge supported by numerical simulation", Adv. Sci. Technol. Res. J 10(32): 254-262, 2016.
4. J. Chróścielewski, M. Miśkiewicz, Ł. Pyrzowski, B. Sobczyk, "Analiza numeryczna uszkodzeń stref zakotwień kabli sprężających konstrukcji mostowej", Proceedings of the XIV Conference on Computational Methods in Engineering TKI'2016. Teresin, Poland, pp 1-2, 2016.
5. S. J. Green, S. R. Swanson, "Static constitutive relations for concrete", AWFL-TR-72-244, U.S.Air Force Weapon Laboratory, Kirtland Air Force Base, NM, 1973.
6. T. Jankowiak T., T. Łodygowski, "Identification of parameters of concrete damage plasticity constitutive model", Foundations of Civil and Environmental Engineering 6: 53-69, 2005.
7. W. Kaminski, K. Makowska, M. Miśkiewicz, J. Szulwic, K. Wilde, "System of monitoring of the Forest Opera in Sopot structure and roofing" 15th International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM 2015 Proceedings vol. 2, pp 471-482, 2015.
8. J. Lee, G. Fenves, "Plastic-damage model for cyclic loading of concrete structures", J. Eng. Mech., 124(8): 892-900, 1998.
9. J. Lubliner, J. Oliver, S. Oller, E. Oate, "A plastic-damage model for concrete", Int. J. Solids Struct., 25(3): 299-326, 1989.
10. M. Rucka, K. Wilde, "Experimental study on ultrasonic monitoring of splitting failure in reinforced concrete", Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation 32(4): 372-383, 2013.
11. M. Szczecina, A. Winnicki, "Calibration of the CDP model parameters in ABAQUS" Proceedings of the 2015 World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics (ASEM15), Incheon, Korea, pp 25-29, 2015.