This study was carried out on the background of Sutong Bridge project based on fracture mechanics, aiming at analyzing the growth mechanism of fatigue cracks of a bridge under the load of vehicles. Stress intensity factor (SIF) can be calculated by various methods. Three steel plates with different kinds of cracks were taken as the samples in this study. With the combination of finite element analysis software ABAQUS and the J integral method, SIF values of the samples were calculated. After that, the extended finite element method in the simulation of fatigue crack growth was introduced, and the simulation of crack growth paths under different external loads was analyzed. At last, we took a partial model from the Sutong Bridge and supposed its two dangerous parts already had fine cracks; then simulative vehicle load was added onto the U-rib to predict crack growth paths using the extended finite element method.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. L. Reid. “Repairing and preserving bridge and steel structure using an innovative crack arrest repair system” Advanced Materials Research 891-892:1217-1222 2014.
2. H. Y. Lee J. B. Kim W. G. Kim et al. “Creep-fatigue crack behaviour of a mod. 9Cr1Mo steel structure with weldments” Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals 63(2):245-250 2010.
3. E. Sgambitterra S. Lesci C. Maletta. “Effects of higher order terms in fracture mechanics of shape memory alloys bydigital image correlation” Procedia Engineering 109:457-464 2015.
4. J. M. L. Reis. “Sisal fiber polymer mortar composites: Introductory fracture mechanics approach” Construction & Building Materials 37(37):177-180 2012.
5. R. Wang A. Nussbaumer. “Modelling fatigue crack propagation of a cracked metallic member reinforced by composite patches” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 76(9):1277–1287 2009.
6. X. Q. Feng Y. F. Shi X. Y. Wang et al. “Dislocation-based semi-analytical method for calculating stress intensity factors of cracks: Two-dimensional cases” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 77(18):3521-3531 2010.
7. Y. D. Li Y. L. Kang Z. Nan. “Dynamic stress intensity factor of a crack perpendicular to the weak-discontinuous interface in a nonhomogeneous coating–substrate structure” Archive of Applied Mechanics 79(2):175-187 2009.
8. G. Meneghetti C. Guzzella. “The peak stress method to estimate the mode I notch stress intensity factor in welded joints using three-dimensional finite element models” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 115(1):154-171 2014.
9. W. Zhang. “Calculation of dynamic stress intensity factor by the boundary element - laplace transform method” Advanced Materials Research 989-994:1825-1828 2014.
10. P. V. Jogdand K. S. R. K. Murthy. “A finite element based interior collocation method for the computation of stress intensity factors and T-stresses” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 77(7):1116-1127 2010.
11. N. H. Dao H. Sellami. “Stress intensity factors and fatigue growth of a surface crack in a drill pipe during rotary drilling operation” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 296:626-640 2012.
12. Y. U. Dazhao. “Stress intensity factor of cracks in bolted joints based on three-dimensional finite element analysis” Journal of Mechanical Engineering 47(20):121-126 2011.
13. A. O. Ayhan. “Three-dimensional fracture analysis using tetrahedral enriched elements and fully unstructured mesh” International Journal of Solids and Structures 48(3):492-505 2011.
14. Y. Peng L. Tong X. L. Zhao. et al. “Modified stress intensity factor equations for semi-elliptical surface cracks in finite thickness and width plates” Procedia Engineering 14:2601-2608 2011.
15. N. Sukumar D. L. Chopp B. Moran. “Extended finite element method and fast marching method for three-dimensional fatigue crack propagation” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 70(1):29-48 2003.
16. A. Đurđević D. Živojinović A. Grbović et al. “Numerical simulation of fatigue crack propagation in friction stir welded joint made of Al 2024T351 alloy” Engineering Failure Analysis 58:477-484 2015.
17. Y. Prawoto I. H. Onn. “Application of J-integral concept on blister coating problem” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 92:114–125 2012.
18. J. Liu M. Coret A. Combescure et al. “J-integral based fracture toughness of 15Cr–5Ni stainless steel during phase transformation” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 96:328–339 2012.
19. E. Giner N. Sukumar J. E. Tarancon et al. “An Abaqus implementation of the extended finite element method” Engineering fracture mechanics 76(3):347-368 2009.
20. L. Chunming H. Rui D. Zhaohua et al. “A level set method for image segmentation in the presence of intensity inhomogeneities with application to MRI” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing A Publication of the IEEE Signal Processing Society 20(7):2007-2016 2011.
21. Y. B. Kar N. A. Talik Z. Sauli et al. “Finite element analysis of thermal distributions of solder ball in flip chip ball grid array using ABAQUS” Microelectronics International 30(1):14-18 2013.