A study was undertaken to investigate the effects of crumb rubber on the strength and mechanical behaviour of Rubberized cement soil (RCS). In the present investigation, 26 groups of soil samples were prepared at five different percentages of crumb rubber content, four different percentages of cement content and two different finenesses of crumb rubber particle. Compressive strength tests were carried out at the curing age of 7 days, 14 days, 28 days and 90 days. The test results indicated that the inclusion of crumb rubber within cement soil leads to a decrease in the compressive strength and stiffness and improves the cement soil’s brittle behaviour to a more ductile one. A reduction of up to 31% in the compressive strength happened in the 20% crumb content group. The compressive strength increases with the increase in the cement content. And the enlargement of cement content is more efficient at low cement content.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. T. W. Zhang X. B. Yue Y. F. Deng D. W. Zhang and S. Y. Liu Mechanical behaviour and micro-structure of cement-stabilised marine clay with a metakaolin agent Construction and Building Materials7351-57 2014.
2. S. H. Bahmani B. B. Huat A. Asadi and N. Farzadnia Stabilization of residual soil using SiO2 nanoparticles and cement Construction and Building Materials64 350-359 2014.
3. T. Kamei A. Ahmed and K. Ugai Durability of soft clay soil stabilized with recycled Bassanite and furnace cement mixtures Soils Foundations 53 1 155-165 2013.
4. R. N. Yong and V. R. Ouhadi Experimental study on instability of bases on natural and lime/cement-stabilized clayey soils’ Appl.Clay Sci 35 3 238-249 2007.
5. C. TangB. Shi W. Gao F. Chen and Y. Cai. Strength and mechanical behavior of short polypropylene fiber reinforced and cement stabilized clayey soil Geotextiles and Geomembranes 25 3 194-202 2007.
6. E. A. Basha R. Hashim H. B. Mahmud and A. S. Muntohar Stabilization of residual soil with rice husk ash and cement Construction and Building Materials 19 6 448-453 2005.
7. J. Xue and M. Shinozuka Rubberized concrete: A green structural material with enhanced energy-dissipation capability Construction and Building Materials 42 196-204 2013.
8. C. F. Chen Foundation Treatment. Wuhan: Wuhan University of Technology press 2010:141-144.
9. E. A. Ohemeng and P. P. K. Yalley Models for predicting the density and compressive strength of rubberized concrete pavement blocks Construction and Building Materials 47 656-661 2013.
10. N. N. Eldin and A. B. Senouci Measurement and prediction of the strength of rubberized concrete Cem. Concr. Compos. 16 4 287-298 1994.
11. R. K. Vieira R. C. Soares S. C. Pinheiro O. A. Paiva J. O. Eleuterio and R. P. Vasconcelos Completely random experimental design with mixture and process variables for optimization of rubberized concrete Construction and Building Materials 24 9 1754-1760 2010.
12. D. Fedroff S. Ahma and B. Z. Savas Mechanical properties of concrete with ground waste tire rubber Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 1532 1 66-72 1996.
13. G. C. Long K. L. Ma X. Xie and Y. J. Xie Effect of Rubber Aggregate on Reduction of Compressive Strength of Concrete J. Build. Mater. 16 5 758-762 2013.
14. R. X. Liu W. S. Hou Y. H. Xv and K. S. Xv Effect of rubber particles on mechanical properties of concrete J. Build. Mater. 12 3 341-344 2009.
15. P. Subramaniam and S. Banerjee Factors affecting shear modulus degradation of cement treated clay Soil Dyn. Earthquake Eng. 65 181-188 2014.
16. N. C. Consoli D. A. RosaR. C. Cruz and A. D. RosaWater content porosity and cement content as parameters controlling strength of artificially cemented silty soil Eng. Geol.122 3 328-333 2011.
17. V. AnggrainiA. AsadiB. B. Huat and H. Nahazanan Effects of coir fibers on tensile and compressive strength of lime treated soft soil Measurement 59 372-381 2015.
18. L. P. ZHOU and X. D. SHEN Study on mechanical behaviors of soil cement Bull. Chin. Ceram Soc. 28 359-365 2009.
19. C. Q. RAO H. S HUANG Factors affecting the compression strength of Shenzhen cement-stabilized soft soil Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology( Urban Science Edition) 26 2 99-102 2009.
20. K. L. OUYANG B. K. NING The influence factors of cement-mixed clays strength J. Chin. Foreign Highway 29 4 189-191 2009.
21. B. WANG W. M. YANG and Z. Q. LI Micromechanism of strength increase with curing time for compacted cement-soil Journal of University of Science and Technology Beijing 30 3 233-238 2008.
22. F. C. WANG X. YAN T. LIU X. P. YE and L. LIU Research on Strength Characteristics and Mechanism of Rubberized Cement-soil Journal of Sichun University 42 246-51 2010.