The purpose of this article is to present the preparation of Project Risk Assessment Methodology and its mitigation in complex construction projects. The main text provides a summary of the approach, the method used and the findings. The conclusions have been drawn that the proper tools for quantifying risks have to be based on the criteria specific for mathematical statistic and probability or at least fuzziness. Function, which makes possible to categorize any risks into one of the five categories, is a combination of probability and the impact on one of the items: people and their safety or budget, cost, schedule and planning or quality and performance. An attempt was made to express numerically the relationship between risks impacts and their level of likelihood. Also, a method of associating the influence of projects risks impacts on the extent of the likelihood of project risk occurrence which makes possible to determine the direction and the strength of this relationship was presented.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Abdul-Rahman H. Wang Ch. Y. L. “Design and pilot run of fuzzy synthetic model (FSM) for risk evaluation in civil engineering” Journal of Civil Engineering and Management 2013 pp. 217-238.
2. Almeida N. M. Sousa V. Dias L. A. Branco F. “Engineering risk management in performance-based building environments” Journal of Civil Engineering and Management 2015 pp. 218-230.
3. Almeida N. M. Sousa V. Dias L. A. Branco F. “Managing the technical risk of performance-based building structures” Journal of Civil Engineering and Management 2015 pp. 384-394.
4. Akintoye A. S. Malcolm J. ”Risk analysis and management in construction” International Journal of Project Management 1997 15.1 pp. 31-38.
5. Chi S. Han S. Kim D. Y. Shin Y. “Accident risk identification and its impact analyses for strategic construction safety management” Journal of Civil Engineering and Management 2015 pp. 524-538.
6. Edwards P. J.; Bowen P. A. “Risk and risk management in construction: a review and future directions for research” Engineering Construction and Architectural Management 1998 5.4 pp. 339-349
7. Ibadov N. Kulejewski J. “The assessment of construction project risks with the use of fuzzy sets theory” Technical Transactions Cracow University of Technology 2014 pp. 175-182.
8. Kacprzyk J. “Fuzzy sets in systematic analysis” PWN Warsaw 1986 pp. 25-28 67-72
9. Konior J. ”Risk management in PM Group Polska. Quality Management System” PM Group Ireland 2003-2015
10. Mak S.; Picken D. “Using risk analysis to determine construction project contingencies” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management 2000 126.2: 130-136.
11. Morrison D. F. “Multivariate statistical methods” McGraw - Hill Book Company New York 1990 pp. 121-123
12. Silvestre J. D. Silva A. de Brito J. “Uncertainty modelling of service life and environmental performance to reduce risk in building design decisions” Journal of Civil Engineering and Management 2015 pp. 308-322
13. Skorupka D. “Identification and initial risk assessment of construction projects in Poland” Journal of Management in Engineering 2008 pp. 120-127.
14. Ward S. C.; Chapman C. B. “Risk management perspective on the project lifecycle” International Journal of Project Management 1995 13.3 pp. 145-149.
15. Yu J. Jeon M. Kim T. W. “Fuzzy-based composite indicator development methodology for evaluating overall project performance” Journal of Civil Engineering and Management 2015 pp. 343-355.
16. Zavadskas E.K Turskisb Z. Tamošaitienec J. “Risk assessment of construction projects” Journal of Civil Engineering and Management 2010 pp. 33-46.