The paper describes an experimental behaviour of the basalt fibre reinforced polymer composite by external strengthening to the concrete beams. The BFRP composite is wrapped at the bottom face of R.C beam as one layer, two layers, three layers and four layers. The different characteristics - are studied in - first crack load, ultimate load, tensile and compressive strain, cracks propagation, crack spacing and number of cracks etc. To - investigate, total of five beams size 100mm× 160mm×1700mm were cast. One beam is taken as control and others are strengthened with BFRP composite with layers. From this investigation, the first crack load is increased depending on the increment in layers from 6.79% to 47.98%. Similarly, the ultimate load carrying - capacity is increased from 5.66% to 20%. The crack’s spacing is also reduced with an increase in the number of layers
1. H. Rahimi, and A. Hutchinson, “Concrete Beams Strengthened with Externally Bonded FRP Plates,” ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 44-56, 2001.
2. Hasan Charkas, Hayder A. Rasheed and Hani Melhem, "Rigorous procedure for calculating deflections of fibre-reinforced polymer-strengthened reinforced concrete beams”, ACI Structural Journal, pp.529-539, 2003.
3. Sandeep et. Al, “Strengthening of R.C.C. Beam- Using Different Glass Fiber,” International Journal of Inventive Engineering and Sciences (IJIES) Volume-1, Issue-2, 2013.
4. Alaa Morsy and Ei Tony Mahmoud, “ Bonding technique for the flexural strengthening of R.c beams using CFRP laminates” Ain Shams Engineering journal, p. 369-374, 2013.
5. S. Balaji et. Al, “Flexural Strengthening of Reinforced concrete beams using precast SIFCON” Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 40, No. 3, pp. 262-267, 2013.
6. R. Anandakumar, Selvamany, C, and Kannan, S.U, “Retrofitting of Concrete Specimen and Reinforced Concrete Piles using Basalt Fibre” Volume 2 Issue 8, PP.01-05, 2013.
7. S. Arivalangan, ” Study On the Compressive and Split Tensile Strength Properties of Basalt Fiber Concrete Members, Global Journal of Researches in Engineering” Civil and Structural Engineering, Volume 12, Issue 4, Version 1.0, 2013.
8. Akshay P. Gholkar, et al, “Experimental study of the flexural behaviour of Damaged RC beams strengthened in bending moment region with basalt fibre reinforced polymer sheets” IJERA, ISSN: 2248-9622, Vol. 4, Issue 7 (Version I), pp.142-145, 2014. Hallam University, UK, 2004