In the paper methods for conducting Road Safety Inspections (SIs) in Italy and Poland are described and compared. The goal of the study is to improve the quality and efficiency of the safety inspections of road network by using low cost equipment (GPS, Tablet, Camera) and specific software. Particular attention was paid to the need for proper calibration of factors, causing traffic safety hazard associated with road infrastructure. The model developed according to the Italian procedures was adapted to comply with the checklists and evaluation criteria of the Polish guidelines. Overall, a good agreement between the two approaches was identified, however some modification was required to include new safety issues, characteristic for the Polish network for safety inspection of two lane rural roads. To test the applicability about 100 km of regional two lane roads in Poland were inspected with Polish and Italian procedures.
2. Budzyński, M., Gaca, S., Jamroz, K., Michalski, L., Instruction of safe controll for road traffic (in Polish), Politechnika Gdańska, 2013
3. S. Cafiso, G. La Cava, A. Montella, G. Pappalardo, Manuale per le Ispezioni di Sicurezza delle Strade Extraurbane Secondarie e Locali – Operative Procedure for Safety Inspections on Two – Lane Rural Roads Project TREN – 03 – ST – S07.31286 – Aracne Editrice. ISBN 978-88-548-1429-5. Gennaio 2008.
4. S. Cafiso, G. La Cava, A. Montella, Safety Index for Evaluation of Two Rural Highways, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, issue number 2019, 136–145, 2007
6. Ministero delle Infrastrutture e dei Trasporti. D.M. 5/11/2001 Norme Funzionali E Geometriche Per La Costruzione Delle Strade, 2001
7. Cafiso, S., La Cava, G. Montella, A. & Pappalardo, G., A Procedure to Improve Safety Inspections Effectiveness and Reliability on Rural Two– Lane Highways. The Baltic Journal of Road and Bridge Engineering, Vilnius: Technika, Vol I, No 3, 143–150, 2006
8. Cafiso, S., Di Graziano, A., Giudice, O., Pappalardo, G., Tools for Road Inspection and Safety Management. 3rd International Conference on Transportation Infrastructure, Pisa, April 22–25, 2014.
9. Gaca S., Kieć M., Quantification of impacts of road accessibility and selected factors of road surroundings development on road traffic safety. Transportation Research Board 91st Annual Meeting 2012, Washington, 2012, Paper #12–3282