The basis for calculating of resistance of welded RHS connections is provided by codes and international guidebooks. In the matter of calculation of the resistance of welded joints, the European standard contains very general recommendations without specifying the detailed calculation procedures, which (the) designers could use in their work. Estimation of resistance of welded semi-rigid joints is a complex issue because it requires determining of effective lengths of welds, their placement on the member walls with their different rigidity, and distribution of components of the load acting on each section of welds in various joint areas. In this paper an approximate assessment is suggested of the resistance of the welded connection in the overlapped K type joints, made of rectangular hollow sections.
1. BRÓDKA J., BRONIEWICZ M.: Steel structures made of tubes. Arkady 2001. [in Polish]
2. BRÓDKA J., BRONIEWICZ M.: Design of welded joints of trusses made of hollow sections. Steel Construction. 2002, No 4. [in Polish]
3. BRÓDKA J., BRONIEWICZ M.: Assessing of resistance of connections according to EN 1993-1-8:2006. Steel Construction. 2007, No 1. [in Polish]
4. BRÓDKA J., KOZŁOWSKI A., LIGOCKI I., ŁAGUNA J., ŚLĘCZKA L.: Design and calculating of connections and joints of steel structures. Vol. 1. Polish Technological Editor. Rzeszow 2009. [in Polish]
5. BS ISO 14346 Welding - Static design procedure for hollow section joints. Draft 2011.
6. PACKER J.A., HENDERSON J.E.: Hollow Structural Section Connections and Truss - A Design Guide. Second Edition. Canadian Institute of Steel Construction. Toronto 1997.
7. PACKER J.A., WARDENIER J., ZHAO X.-L., van der VEGTE G.J., Kurobane Y.: Design guide for rectangular hollow section (RHS) joints under predominantly static loading. LSS Verlag. CIDECT. 2009.
8. PN-EN 1993-1-8:2006 EN 1993-1-8: Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures - Part 1-8: Design of joints.
9. Static design procedure for welded hollow section joints - Recommendations. 3rd Edition. International Institute of Welding. Commision XV. IIW Doc. XV-1329-09.
10. WARDENIER J., PACKER J.A., ZHAO X.-L., van der VEGTE G.J.: Hollow sections in structural applications. Bouwen met Staal. Zoetemeer 2010.
11. Structural tubes of steel. Square and rectangular hollow sections. PROTUBSA