One of the contract awarding systems in public sector in Poland is the Design & Build system. In this system, a client concludes a contract agreement with only one company, a contractor, in order to carry out both design and construction of works. While deciding on this form of delivery of a public project, the client is obliged to conduct a single proceeding aiming to select the contractor. In this paper, public works contracts awarded in the D&B system in Poland are analysed, whilst attention was put on the contracting modes and assessment criteria. The results are assessed against the experience of other countries and recommended methods for selection of the Design and Build contractor.
1. K.R. Molenaar, A.D. Songer, M. Barash, Public-sector design/build evolution and performance, Journal of Management in Engineering, March/April 1999, s. 54-62.
2. K.R. Molenaar, D.D. Gransberg, Design-Builder selection for small highway projects, Journal of Management in Engineering, October, 214-22, 2001.
3. S.O. Ojo, O. Aina, A.Y. Adeyemi, A comparative analysis of the performance of traditional contractingand design-build procurements on client objectives in Nigeria, Journal of Civil Engineering and management, 17(2), 227-233, 2011.
4. K.J. Potter, V. Sanvido, Implementing a design/build prequalification system, Journal of Management in Engineering, May/June 30-34, 1995.
5. V. Ireland, The role of managerial action in the cost, time and quality performance of high-risecommercial building projects, Construction Management and Economics, 3, 59-87, 1985.
6. The Act of 29 January 2004 - Public Procurement Law (Journal of Laws of 2010, No. 113, item. 759; No. 161, item. 1078 and No. 182, item 1228 and of 2011, No. 5, item 13, No. 28, item 143 and No. 87 item 484).
7. Construction Law (Journal of Laws of 2006 No. 156, item. 1118, as amended).
8. The Public Procurement Bulletin, www.uzp.gov.pl
9. K.R. Molenaar, A.D. Songer, Model for Public-sector design/build project selection, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, November/December, 467-479, 1998.
10. E. Plebankiewicz, Contractor prequalification model using fuzzy sets, Journal of Civil Engineering and Management, 15(4), s. 377-385, 2009.
11. A. Kosecki, Construction project management as a service regulated by contract [in Polish], cz.I, Przeglad Budowlany, 3, 36-39, cz.II, Przeglad Budowlany, 4, s. 9-12, 2003.
12. A. Kosecki, E. Plebankiewicz, Formulating criteria for prequalification of construction contractors [in Polish], Konferencja Inzynieria Procesów Budowlanych, Wisła, 189-196, 2009.
13. E. Palaneeswaran, M. Kumaraswamy, Contractor selection for design/build projects, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 126, 5, 331-339, 2000.
14. Pre-qualification Of Design-Build Entities Seeking To Bid On Community And School Facilities Department Of Industrial Relations, www.dir.ca.gov
15. Pre-qualification Of Design-Build Entities Seeking To Bid on transit Projects, Department of Industrial Relations.
16. E. Plebankiewicz, Simple prequalification models, Archives of Civil Engineering, 56, 4, 235-351, 2010.
17. E. Palaneeswaran, M. Kumaraswamy, Web-based client advisory decision support system for designbuilder prequalification, Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 19, 1, 69-82, 2005.
18. K. Al-Reshaid, N. Kartman, Design-build prequalification and tendering approach for public projects, International Journal of Project Management, 23, 4, 309-320, 2005.
19. Qualifications Based Selection of Contractors, AGC of America Project Delivery Committee QBS Working Group, August, 2009.
20. S. Christodoulou, F.H.(Bud) Griffis, L. Barrett, M. Okungbowa, Qualifications-Based Selection of Professional A/E Services, Journal of Management in Engineering, 34-41, April 2004.
21. O.G. Manoliadis, J.P. Pantouvakis, S.E. Christodoulou, Improving qualifications-based selection by use of the fuzzy Delphi method, Construction Management and Economics, 27, 4, 373-384, 2009.
22. M. Wardani, J.I. Messner, M.J. Horman, Comparing procurement methods for design-build project, Journal of construction Engineering and Management, 2006.