This paper presents the numerical part of the research program on concrete-filled steel columns. Nonlinear, three dimensional FE analysis of axial compression, was conducted using the finite element program ABAQUS. The numerical results were validated through comparison with experimental data in terms of ultimate loading and deformation modes. Modeling related problems such as the definition of boundary conditions, imperfections, concrete-steel interaction, material representation and others are investigated using a comprehensive parametric study. The developed FE models will be used for an enhanced interpretation of experiments and for the predictive study of cases not included in the experimental testing.
1. ABAQUS Analysis User’s Manual, ABAQUS, Inc., Version 6.6-1, USA 2006.
2. ABAQUS Example Problems Manual, ABAQUS, Inc., Version 6.6-1, USA 2006.
3. C.-C. Chen, N-J. Lin, Analytical model for predicting axial capacity and behavior of concrete encased steel composite stub columns, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 62, 424-433, 2006.
4. T. Chicoine et al., Behavior and Strength of Partially Encased Composite Columns with Built-up Shapes, Journal of Structural Engineering, March, 279-288, 2002.
5. T. Chicoine, Massicotte, R. Tremblay, Long-Term Behavior and Strength of Partially Encased Composite Columns Made with Built-up Shapes, Journal of Structural Engineering, February, 141-150, 2003.
6. J. Ding, Y.C. Wang, Realistic modeling of thermal and structural behaviour of unprotected concrete filled tubular columns in fire, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 64(10), 1086-1102, 2008.
7. E. Ellobody, B. Young, Nonlinear analysis of concrete-filled steel SHS and RHS columns, Thin-Walled Structures, 44, 919-930, 2006.
8. Eurocode 4, Design of composite steel and concrete structures. Part 1.1 General rules for buildings, 2004.
9. G. Giakoumelis, D. Lam, Axial capacity of circular concrete-filled tube columns, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 60, 1049-1068, 2004.
10. P.K. Gupta, S.M. Sarda, M.S. Kumar, Experimental and computational study of concrete filled steel tubular columns under axial loads, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 63(2), 182-193, 2007.
11. H.-T.Hu, F.-C. Su, M. Elchalakani, Finite element analysis of CFT columns subjected to pure bending moment, Steel & Composite Structures, October, 10(5), 415-428, 2010.
12. Y.-S. Huang, Y.-L. Long, J. Cai, Ultimate strength of rectangular concrete-filled steel tubular (CFT) stub columns under axial compression, Steel & Composite Structures, April, 8(2), 115-128, 2008.
13. M. Johansson, K. Gylltoft, Mechanical Behavior of Circular Steel-Concrete Composite Stub Columns, Journal of Structural Engineering, 14(5), 491-508, 2002.
14. S.-J. Lee, Capacity and the moment-curvature relationship of high-strength concrete filled steel tube columns under eccentric loads, Steel & Composite Structures, April, 7(2), 135-160, 2007.
15. Q.Q. Liang, B. Uy, R. Liew, Nonlinear analysis of concrete-filled thin-walled steel box columns with local buckling effects, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 62, 581-591, 2006.
16. J.L. Pan, T. Xu, Z.J. Hu, Experimental investigation of load carrying capacity of the slender reinforced concrete columns wrapped with FRP, Construction and Building Materials, 21(11), 1991-1996, 2007.
17. E. Szmigiera, W. Zoltowski, M. Siennicki, Research on load capacity of concrete filled columns with battened steel sections, Journal of Civil Engineering and Management, 16(3), 313-319, 2010.
18. Y.C. Wang, Tests on slender composite columns, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 49, 25-41, 1999.
19. W. Zoltowski, E. Szmigiera, M. Siennicki, The influence of concrete filling steel columns with two battened chords on their behavior, Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Steel, Space & Composite Structures, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, May, 15-17, 2006.