This study focused on the role of polymorphisms in prostaglandin expression regulating genes in the occurrence of early uterine contractions during pregnancy. The analyzed genes were: PLA2G4C, encoding calcium independent phospholipase A2, and PLA2G4C, encoding IVD phospholipase A2. It was examined if known reference polymorphisms in these genes (rs1366442, [A/C/T] for PLA2G4C; and rs4924618, [A/T] for PLA2G4D), have any influence on preterm birth. Additionally, other biological, genetic and socio-economic factors were taken into account and analyzed, based on their role in induction of early resolve of pregnancy in the study group. Blood samples were taken from 20 patients. 15 of them gave birth preterm, 5 gave birth at the predicted date of pregnancy resolve. DNA was isolated from the samples, and subjected to PCR, with obtained amplified samples separated using electrophoresis on 1,5% agarose gel. Resulting material was subjected to high-throughput sequencing. Statistical analysis was performed using Statistica 13 software. Analyses have shown that the discussed biological, genetic and societal-economic factors have statistically significant influence on preterm birth. Sequencing results presented the suspected presence of the analyzed SNPs in most women from the studied groups, while not showing their presence in any of the controls. The biological, genetic, and socio-economic factors analyzed have a significant influence on pre-term birth. Presence of SNPs in PLA2G4C and PLA2G4D genes may increase the risk of early resolve of pregnancy. However, as the control and study groups were relatively small, it is suggested to repeat the studies on bigger samples to validate the results.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Barfield WD. Public Health Implications of Very Preterm Birth. Clin Perinatol. 2018;45:565–77; DOI:10.1016/j.clp.2018.05.007.
2. Mikulski A. Ekologiczne znaczenie efektu matczynego. Wiadomości Ekol 49 97-113. 2003.
3. Terzidou V Bennett PR. Preterm labour. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2002;14:105–13.
4. Behrman RE Butler AS Institute of Medicine (U.S.). Committee on Understanding Premature Birth and Assuring Healthy Outcomes. Preterm birth : causes consequences and prevention. National Academies Press; 2007.
5. Bręborowicz GH Banaszewska B. Położnictwo i ginekologia. T. 1 Położnictwo. Wydawnictwo Lekarskie PZWL; 2007.
6. Rodwell VW (1929-). Harper HA (1911-1988). Bender DA Botham KM Kennelly PJ Weil PA Smoleński RT Gross PL Wydawnictwo Lekarskie PZWL. Biochemia Harpera ilustrowana. PZWL Wydawnictwo Lekarskie; 2018.
7. Doucette LP Walter MA. Prostaglandins in the eye: Function expression and roles in glaucoma. Ophthalmic Genet. 2017;38:108–16; DOI:10.310 9/13816810.2016.1164193.
8. O'Brien WF. The role of prostaglandins in labor and delivery. Clin Perinatol. 1995;22:973–84.
9. Underwood KW Song C Kriz RW Chang XJ Knopf JL Lin LL. A novel calcium-independent phospholipase A2 cPLA2-gamma that is prenylated and contains homology to cPLA2. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:21926–32; DOI:10.1074/JBC.273.34.21926.
10. Chiba H Michibata H Wakimoto K Seishima M Kawasaki S Okubo K Mitsui H Torii H Imai Y. Cloning of a gene for a novel epithelium-specific cytosolic phospholipase A2 cPLA2delta induced in psoriatic skin. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:12890–7; DOI:10.1074/jbc.M305801200.
11. Romero R Emamian M Wan M Quintero R Hobbins JC Mitchell MD. Prostaglandin concentrations in amniotic fluid of women with intra-amniotic infection and preterm labor. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1987;157:1461–7; DOI:10.1016/S0002-9378(87)80245-4.
12. Wang BJ Liu MJ Wang Y Dai JR Tao JY Wang SN Zhong N Chen Y. Association between SNPs in genes involved in folate metabolism and preterm birth risk. Genet Mol Res. 2015;14:850–9; DOI:10.4238/2015. February.2.9.
13. Wu W Clark EAS Stoddard GJ Watkins WS Esplin MS Manuck TA Xing J Varner MW Jorde LB. Effect of interleukin-6 polymorphism on risk of preterm birth within population strata: a meta-analysis. BMC Genet. 2013;14:30; DOI:10.1186/1471-2156-14-30.
14. Liu G-J He J-R Kuang Y-S Fan X-J Li W-D Lu J-H Xia X-Y Liu X-D Chen N-N Mai W-B Xia H-M Qiu X. Associations of maternal PLA2G4C and PLA2G4D polymorphisms with the risk of spontaneous preterm birth in a Chinese population. Mol Med Rep. 2017;15:3607–14; DOI:10.3892/mmr.2017.6475.
15. Plunkett J Doniger S Morgan T Haataja R Hallman M Puttonen H Menon R Kuczynski E Norwitz E Snegovskikh V Palotie A Peltonen L Fellman V DeFranco EA Chaudhari BP Oates J Boutaud O McGregor TL McElroy JJ Teramo K Borecki I Fay JC Muglia LJ. Primate-specific evolution of noncoding element insertion into PLA2G4C and human preterm birth. BMC Med Genomics. 2010;3:62; DOI:10.1186/1755-8794-3-62.
16. Hadada T. Genetyczne i środowiskowe uwarunkowania zróżnicowania dojrzałości okołourodzeniowej. Uniwersytet im. Adama Mickiewicza w Poznaniu 2016.