Ovarian cysts remain to be one of the most common and serious problems in reproduction of farm animals, as well as humans. Apart from causing the fall in reproductive potential of the ovaries, occupying the place in which folliculogenesis and oogenesis occur, they also cause hormone imbalances, by preventing corpus luteum formation, hence lowering the amount of steroid hormone production. While singular cysts rarely affect fertility, hormone fluctuations that are associated with their presence promotes their multiplication, which usually has more adverse effects. While the cysts are easily detectable in humans, possessing distinct echography while examined by ultrasound, multiple factors prevent widespread use of effective detection methods among large herds of farm animals. Because of lack of noticeable symptoms of early stages of such malignancies, they rarely get detected before the animal stops to exhibit symptoms of heat. That causes scientific research to be focused on not only methods of detection, but also the ways to negate the effects of ovarian cysts and bring the affected specimen back to reproductive potential. Despite that, high costs of diagnosis and treatment, cause them to be uncommon on commercial farms. As lack of fertility eliminates animals from breeding purposed herds, ovarian cysts persist as a cause of large losses of the animal husbandry business. Continuous research, focused on natural examples of ovarian cysts should be conducted, in order to improve methods of detection, prevention, treatment and recovery from the effects of ovarian cysts.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Bostedt H Ebbert W. Syndrom torbieli jajnikowych u macior hodowlanych. Nowa Wet. 1999;04(3):14–7.
2. Close RW Liptrap RM. Plasma progesterone levels in sows with induced cystic ovarian follicles. Res Vet Sci. 1975;19(1):28–34.
3. Isobe N Yoshimura Y. Immunocytochemical study of cell proliferation in the cystic ovarian follicles in cows. Theriogenology. 2000;54(7):1159–69.
4. Szulanczyk-Mencel K Bielas W. Torbiele jajnikowe jako przyczyna niepłodności loch. Zycie Wet. 2010;85(12).
5. Cech S Dolezel R. Treatment of ovarian cysts in sows – a field trial. Veteri Med. 2007;52(9):413–8.
6. Kauffold J Rautenberg T Gutjahr S Richter A Sobiraj A. Ultrasono-graphic characterization of the ovaries in non-pregnant first served sows and gilts. Theriogenology. 2004;61(7-8):1407–17; DOI:10.1016/j.theriogenology.2003.08.007.
7. Szczebiot A Janowski TM. Ultrasonographic examination of ovaries in swine. Med Wet. 2008;64(4):395–9.
8. Kempisty B Jackowska M Bukowska D Antosik P Woźna M Jaśkowski JM. Mechanisms regulating oogenesis folliculogenesis and fertilization in pigs. Med Wet. 2011;67(5):299–303.
9. Castagna CD Peixoto CH Bortolozzo FP Wentz I Neto GB Ruschel F. Ovarian cysts and their consequences on the reproductive performance of swine herds. Anim Reprod Sci. 2004;81(1-2):115–23.
10. Vargas AJ Bernardi ML Bortolozzo FP Mellagi APG Wentz I. Factors associated with return to estrus in first service swine females. Prev Vet Med. 2009;89(1-2):75–80; DOI:10.1016/j.prevetmed.2009.02.001.
11. Fitko R. Etiologia i patogeneza torbieli w jajnikach swin. Nowa Wet. 1998;03(4):14–6.
12. Knox RV Zas SL. Factors influencing estrus and ovulation in weaned sows as determined by transrectal ultrasound. J Anim Sci. 2001;79(12):2957–63.
13. Brandt Y Lundeheim N Madej A Rodriguez-Martinez H Einarsson S. Effects of ACTH injections during estrus on concentrations and patterns of progesterone estradiol LH and inhibin alpha and time of ovulation in the sow. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2007;32(2):122–37; DOI:10.1016/j.domaniend.2006.02.002.
14. Soede NM Helmond FA Kemp B. Periovulatory profiles of oestradiol LH and progesterone in relation to oestrus and embryo mortality in multiparous sows using transrectal ultrasonography to detect ovulation. J Reprod Fertil. 1994;101(3):633–41.
15. Waberski D Kunz-Schmidt A Borchardt Neto G Richter L Weitze KF. Real-time ultrasound diagnosis of ovulation and ovarian cysts in sows and its impact on artificial insemination efficiency. J Anim Sci. 2000;77(E-Suppl):1; DOI:10.2527/jas2000.00218812007700ES0037x.
16. Fitko R Jana B Kucharski J. Correlations of hormone concentrations in blood plasma and their relations to ovarian structures in hypo- and hyperthyroid cyst-bearing gilts. Pol J Vet Sci. 1998;01(1).
17. Kranc W Budna J Kahan R Chachula A Bryja A Ciesiolka S Borys S Antosik MP Bukowska D Brussow KP Bruska M Nowicki M Zabel M Kempisty B. Molecular basis of growth proliferation and differentiation of mammalian follicular granulosa cells. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2017;31(1):1–8.
18. Kranc W Celichowski P Budna J Khozmi R Bryja A Ciesiółka S Rybska M Borys S Jeseta M Bukowska D Antosik P Brüssow KP Bruska M Nowicki M Zabel M Kempisty B. Positive Regulation of Macromolecule Metabolic Process Belongs to the Main Mechanisms Crucial for Porcine Oocytes Maturation. Adv Cell Biol. 2017;5(1):15–31; DOI:10.1515/acb-2017-0002.
19. Kempisty B Jackowska M Woźna M Antosik P Piotrowska H Zawierucha P Bukowska D Jaśkowski JM Nowicki M Brüssow KP. Expression and cellular distribution of INHA and INHB before and after in vitro cultivation of porcine oocytes isolated from follicles of different size. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2012;2012:742829; DOI:10.1155/2012/742829.
20. Kurzok J. Przypadek torbielowatego zwyrodnienia jajnikow u maciory. Zycie Wet. 2001;76(07).
21. Silvia WJ Hatler TB Nugent AM Laranja da Fonseca LF. Ovarian follicular cysts in dairy cows: an abnormality in folliculogenesis. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2002;23(1-2):167–77.
22. Kempisty B Ziolkowska A Ciesiolka S Piotrowska H Antosik P Bukowska D Nowicki M Brussow KP Zabel M. Association between the expression of LHR FSHR and CYP19 genes cellular distribution of encoded proteins and proliferation of porcine granulosa cells in real-time. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2014;28(3):419–31.
23. Moriyoshi M Sawamura T Yasuda M Nakao T Kawata K. Using Ultra-sound for Clinical Observation of the Porcine Ovary Through the Course of the Estrous Cycle and to Monitor Treatment of Ovarian Disease. J Re-prod Dev. 1996;42(4):277–82; DOI:10.1262/jrd.42.277.
24. Kauffold J Rautenberg T Hoffmann G Beynon N Schellenberg I Sobiraj A. A field study into the appropriateness of transcutaneous ultra-sonography in the diagnoses of uterine disorders in reproductively failed pigs. Theriogenology. 2005;64(7):1546–58; DOI:10.1016/j.theriogenology.2005.03.022.
25. Kauffold J Althouse GC. An update on the use of B-mode ultrasonography in female pig reproduction. Theriogenology. 2007;67(5):901–11; DOI:10.1016/j.theriogenology.2006.12.005.
26. Bartolome JA Sozzi A McHale J Swift K Kelbert D Archbald LF Thatcher WW. Resynchronization of ovulation and timed insemination in lactating dairy cows. Theriogenology. 2005;63(6):1643–58; DOI:10.1016/j.theriogenology.2004.07.018.
27. Bartolome J Hernandez J Sheerin P Luznar S Kelbert D Thatcher WW Archbald LF. Effect of pretreatment with bovine somatotropin (bST) and/or gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) on conception rate of dairy cows with ovarian cysts subjected to synchronization of ovulation and timed insemination. Theriogenology. 2003;59(9):1991–7.
28. Vries A de Crane MB Bartolome JA Melendez P Risco CA Archbald LF. Economic Comparison of Timed Artificial Insemination and Exogenous Progesterone as Treatments for Ovarian Cysts. J Dairy Sci. 2006;89(8):3028–37; DOI:10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72576-0.
29. Probo M Comin A Mollo A Cairoli F Stradaioli G Veronesi MC. Reproductive performance of dairy cows with luteal or follicular ovarian cysts after treatment with buserelin. Anim Reprod Sci. 2011;127(3-4):135–9; DOI:10.1016/j.anireprosci.2011.07.019.
30. Sproul K Jones MR Mathur R Azziz R Goodarzi MO. Association study of four key folliculogenesis genes in polycystic ovary syndrome. BJOG. 2010;117(6):756–60; DOI:10.1111/j.1471-0528.2010.02527.x.
31. Heinonen M Leppävuori A Pyörälä S. Evaluation of reproductive failure of female pigs based on slaughterhouse material and herd record survey. Anim Reprod Sci. 1998;52(3):235–44.
32. Ebbert W Bostedt H. Cystic Degeneration in Porcine Ovaries -First Communication: Morphology of Cystic Ovaries Interpretation of the Results. Reprod Domest Anim. 1993;28(6):441–50; DOI:10.1111/j.1439-0531.1993.tb01021.x.
33. Pejsak Z. Torbiele jajnikowe - niedoceniana przyczyna zaburzeń w rozrodzie świń. Lecz Duzych Zwierzat. 2007;02(2).
34. Peters AR. Veterinary clinical application of GnRH—questions of efficacy. Anim Reprod Sci. 2005;88(1-2):155–67; DOI:10.1016/j.anireprosci.2005.05.008.
35. Toriumi H Tsumagari S Kuwabara Y Takagi K Ohba S Takeishi M. Clinical Findings and Serum Steroid Hormone Concentrations in Sows with Post-Weaning Ovarian Disorders. J Reprod Dev. 1996;42(1):1–6; DOI:10.1262/jrd.42.1.