The aim of the research was to examine the effect of different fertilizers on the floristic composition and biomass yield of the semi-natural grassland used as hayfield near Vlăhița locality (Harghita County, Romania) in order to improve its management. In the same time the qualitative structure of the studied grassland was evaluated after the first application of the fertilizers. The vegetation survey was made before mowing, and a total of 84 plant taxa were identified. The studied plant community belongs to the association Festuco-Agrostetum capillaris Horv. 1951. From the 31 fodder species, 13 had very good or good nutritional value. The qualitative structure analysis indicates that the vegetation has developed under moderate anthropogenic pressure. Beside the Euro-Asian elements the Circumpolar and the Cosmopolite elements were well represented. Many species with high tolerance for temperature, soil pH, and soil mineral nitrogen content were registered. After the first application of fertilizers in all treated plots the biodiversity increased compared to the control plot. Fertilized plots also had a significantly higher biomass yield than the control plot. All fertilizers reduced the proportion of the species with good nutritional value from the Poaceae family. Organic fertilizer affected positively the proportion of other plant families than Poaceae and Fabaceae. Long-term experiments are necessary to evaluate the response of the vegetation on treatment with organic fertilizer in order to optimize productivity of the hayfield and sustain species richness.
7. Păcurar F, Rotar I (2014) Metode de studiu și interpretare a vegetației pajiștilor, Ed. Risoprint, Cluj-Napoca
8. Tong Z, Quan G, Wan L, He F, Li X (2019) The effect of fertilizers on biomass and biodiversity on a semi-arid grassland of Northern China. Sustainability 11:2854. doi:10.3390/su11102854
9. Samuil C, Vintu V, Sirbu C, Stavarache M (2013) Influence of fertilizers on the biodiversity of semi-natural grassland in the Eastern Carpathians. Not Bot Horti Agrobo 41(1):195–200.
10. Stevens CJ, Dise NB, Owen MJ, Gowing DJ (2004) Impact of nitrogen deposition on the species richness of grasslands. Science 303. doi: 10.1126/science.1094678
11. Pallett DW, Pescott OL, Schäfer SM (2016) Changes in plant species richness and productivity in response to decreased nitrogen inputs in grassland in southern England. Ecological Indicators 68:73–81.
12. Oltean M, Negrean G, Popescu A, Roma N, Dihoru G, Sanda V, Mihăilescu S (1994) Lista roșie a plantelor superioare din România – Studii, sinteze, documentații de ecologie, Ed. Acad. Română, București 14–52.
13. Pop I (1982) Plante spontane și subspontane cu valoare economică din flora R. S. România. Contrib. Bot, 22:131–142.
14. Rotar I, Cirebea M, Păcurar F, Vidican R, Malinas A, Ranta O (2016) Mineral and organic fertilization influence on Festuca rubra-Agrostis capillaris natural meadow. Romanian Journal of Grassland and Forage Crops 13:39–46.
15. Cirebea M, Rotar I, Vidican R, Pleșa A, Morea A, Ranta O (2020) Impact of organo-mineral fertilization upon phytocoenosis and feed quality of the grasslands in the region of Transylvania. Romanian Agricultural Research 37
16. Djukic D, Stevovic V, Djurovic D, Ilic O (2008) The effect of organic fertilizer on biomass yield and quality of natural meadows. Options Méditerranéennes: Série A. Séminaires Méditerranéens 79:431–434.
17. Štýbnarová M, Mičová P, Fiala K, Karabcová H, Látal O, Pozdíšek J. (2014) Effect of organic fertilizers on botanical composition of grassland, herbage yield and quality. Agriculture (Poľnohospodárstvo) 60(3):87–97.
18. Botiș AL, Mihai GH, Sima N, Criste D, Mihalca I, Medrea I, Făgădar B (2015) Studies regarding the effect of organic fertilizers on a permanent grassland in Petrova, Maramureş. Bulletin UASVM Animal Science and Biotechnologies 72(2). doi:10.15835/buasvmcn-asb:11420
19. Silvertown J, Poulton P, Johnston E, Edwards G, Heard M, Biss PM (2006) The Park Grass Experiment 1856–2006: its contribution to ecology. Journal of Ecology 94:801–814.
20. Hejcmana M, Sochorováa L, Pavlu V, Štrobach J, Diepolderc M, Schellberg J (2014) The Steinach Grassland Experiment: Soil chemical properties, sward height and plant species composition in three cut alluvial meadow after decades-long fertilizer application Agriculture. Ecosystems and Environment 184:76–87.