The aim of this study was to identify the medicinal and aromatic plants from mountain hay meadows (6520 - Natura 2000 habitat) of Gurghiului Mountains and to analyze the correlation of these herbs with their therapeutic compounds as well as the human diseases on which they can be used on therapeutic purpose. The area covered by this study was the Gurghiului Mountains. Regarding the vegetation, this area is characterized by the predominance of forest ecosystems, along with semi-natural mountainous grasslands. The floristic inventory for the studied area included numerous medicinal plants with therapeutic chemical compounds. These medicinal plants were grouped in this study according to the dominant active principles used in phytotherapy. Two plant associations were identified: Festuco rubrae-Agrostietum capillaris Horvat 1951 and Poo-Trisetetum flavescentis Knapp ex Oberdorfer 1957. This survey demonstrates that the medicinal plant area in the Gurghiului Mountains is a promising economic resource for developing this region, but it needs planned exploitation.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Aguilar-Støen M Moe SR (2007) Medicinal plant conservation and management: distribution of wild and cultivated species in eight countries. Biodivers Conserv 16:1973-1981.
2. Ciulei I Grigorescu E Stănescu U (1993) Medicinal herbs Phytochemistry and phytotherapy vol. 2. Medical Publishing House București
3. Coldea Gh (red). (2012) Les associations végétales de Roumanie tom 2. Les associations herbacées anthropogène. Cluj University Press Cluj-Napoca
4. Cristea V Gafta D Pedrotti F (2004) Phytosociology. Cluj University Press Cluj-Napoca
5. De Smet P (1997) The role of plant-derived drugs and herbal medicines in healthcare. Drugs 54(6):801-840.
6. Doniţă N Popescu A Paucă-Comănescu M Mihăilescu S Biriş IA (2005) Habitats from Romania. Silvic Technical Publishing House Bucureşti 2005
7. Eşianu S Ștefănescu R (2016) Phytotherapy. University Press Tîrgu Mureş
8. Foote J Cohen B (1998) Medicinal herb use and the renal patient. J Renal Nutr 8:40-42.
9. Gafta D Mountford O (eds) (2008) Handbook for the interpretation of Natura 2000 habitats in Romania. Risoprint Publishing House Cluj-Napoca
10. Istudor V (1998) Pharmacognosy Phytochemistry Phytotherapy vol. 1. Medical Publishing House Bucureşti
11. Istudor V (2001) Pharmacognosy Phytochemistry Phytotherapy vol. 2. Medical Publishing House Bucureşti
12. Nadembega P Boussimb JI Nikiemac JB Poli F Antognoni F (2011) Medicinal plants in Baskoure Kourittenga Province Burkina Faso: An ethnobotanical study. J Ethnopharmacol 133:378-395.
13. Nkomo MM Katerere DD Vismer HH Cruz TT Balayssac SS Malet-Martino MM Makunga NN (2014) Fusarium inhibition by wild populations of the medicinal plant Salvia africana-lutea L. linked to metabolomic profiling. BMC Complem Altern M 14:99-105.
14. Oroian S (1998) Flora and vegetation of the Mureş Gorge between Toplita and Deda. Mures Publishing House Tîrgu Mureş
15. Oroian S (2011) Botanical Pharmaceuticals. University Press Tîrgu Mureş 2011
16. Oroian S Sămărghiţan M (2000) The medicinal plants from the spontaneous flora of the Mureş Gorge between Toplita and Deda. Acta Horti Botanici Bucurestiensis 2:91-198.
17. Palade M (1998) Pharmaceutical botany. Systematic plant vol.2. Technical Publishing House Bucureşti
18. Palade M Dinu M Stamanichi M Codreanu MV Pavel M (2003) Phytotaxonomy - practical bases. București. Tehnoplast Company Publishing House București
19. Rácz Rácz KE Szabó LGy (2012) Gyógynövények ismerete. A fitoterápia és az alternativ medicina alapjai. Galenus Budapesta
20. Sămărghiţan M (2005) The flora and vegetation of Gurghiului Valley. University Press Tîrgu Mureş
21. Sămărghiţan M Oroian S (1999) Inventory of medicinal plants from Gurghiului Valley. Note Botanice Tîrgu Mureş 25:43-60.
22. Stănescu U Miron A Hănceanu M Aprotosoaie C (2002) The pharmaceutical pharmacological and clinical basics of phytotherapy vol. 1. „Gr.T.Popa“ Iaşi Publishing House Iași
23. Stănescu U Miron A Hănceanu M Aprotosoaie C (2002) The pharmaceutical pharmacological and clinical basics of phytotherapy vol.2. „Gr.T.Popa“ UMF Iaşi Publishing House Iași
24. Stănescu U Miron A Hăncianu M Aprotosoaie C (2004) Medicinal herbs from A to Z. Monographs of products of therapeutic interest vol. 1-2 „Gr.T.Popa“ UMF Iaşi Publishing House Iași
25. Tahraoui A El-Hilaly AJ Israili ZS Lyoussi B (2007) Ethnopharmacological survey of plants used in the traditional treatment of hypertension and diabetes in south-eastern Morocco (Errachidia province). J Ethnopharmacol 110:105-117.
26. Tămaș M. Pharmaceutical botany. Systematica - Cormobionta vol.3 Medical University “Iuliu Haţieganu” Publishing House Cluj-Napoca 1999; 19-254.
27. Tiță I (2003) Pharmaceutical botany. Didactic and Pedagogical Publishing House București
28. Wright C. Van-Buren L Kroner CI Koning MG (2007) Herbal medicines as diuretics: A review of the scientific evidence. J Ethnopharmacol 114:1-31.
29. Yberrt E Delesalle-Feat T (2013) Larousse des Plantes Medicinales-Identification preparation soins ed. II. Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plans Publishing House Franţa
30. *** Council Directive 92/43/EEC of 21 May 1992 on the conservation of natural habitats and of wild fauna and flora.
31. *** Farmacopeea Română. 1993. Editia a X-a Medical Publishing House Bucureşti