This article reviews symptomatic intraventricular xanthogranulomas, based on a case presentation. Bilateral xanthogranulomas of the choroid plexus were removed surgically from the lateral ventricles of a 12-year-old boy. At 9 years of age, he had evidence of increased intracranial pressure and was hospitalized. Dense enhancing masses were detected in computerized tomogram (CT) brain scan. The lesions were in the region of trigones with extension into the temporal horns and into the right occipital horn. The masses were brightly yellow and greasy. They measured 8.5 x 5.5 x 3.5 cm and 10 x 6.5 x 4.5 cm, respectively, and proved to be xanthogranulomas. Review of 35 reported symptomatic intraventricular xanthogranulomas revealed 11 lesions in the lateral ventricles in which six of them were bilateral. Twenty-two lesions were in the third ventricle, and two lesions were in the fourth ventricle. The lesion shows no significant sexual predilection. The patients’ average age is 37.6 years for males, 32.4 years for females, and 34.3 years for both sexes. The size of symptomatic lesions ranged from 1 to 3 cm in diameter but a few were large, up to 8 to 10 cm. The origin of foamy (xanthoma) cells in the xanthogranulomas arising in the choroid plexus is thought to be multicentric including the choroidal epithelium and stromal arachnoidal cells that have undergone xanthomatous changes. Increased intracranial pressure is the significant clinical feature of the intraventricular xanthogranulomas as in other mass lesions within the skull. Surgical extirpation is the treatment of choice if the lesion is accessible and the patient’s general condition is suitable.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Thomas PK, Walker JG. Xanthomatous neuropathy in primary biliary cirrhosis. Brain. 1965; 88:1079-88.
2. Chermsirivathana S, Nasongara K. Xanthoma tuberosum associated with biliary cirrhosis of the liver. J Med Assoc Thai. 1966; 49:634-44.
3. Rosner S. Xanthoma of the choroid plexus in a child. J Nervous Ment Dis. 1957; 125:339-41
4. Morello A, Campesi G, Bettinazzi N, Albeggiani A. Neoplastiform xanthomatous granulomas of choroid plexus in a child affects by Hand-Schueller-Christian Disease. J Neurosurg.1967; 26:536-41.
5. Terao H, Kobayaski S, Teraoka A, Okeda R. Xanthogranulomas of the choroid plexus in a neuroepileptic child. Case report. J Neurosurg.1978; 48: 649-53.
6. Pear BL. Xanthogranuloma of the choroid plexus. Am J Radol (AJR). 1984; 143:401-2.
7. Rutherfoord GS, Mathew B. Xanthogranuloma of the choroid plexus of lateral ventricle, presenting with parosmia and parageusia. Br J Neurosurg. 1987; 1: 285-8.
8. Handagoon P, Pitakdamrongwong N, Shuangshoti S. Xanthogranulomas of choroid plexus. Neuroradiology. 1987; 29:172-3.
9. Marks PV, Frost NA, Shaw G, Hope A. Symptomatic intraventricular xanthogranulomata. Report of 2 cases. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 1991; 93-4:283-7.
10. Brueck W, Sander U, Blanckenberg P, Friede RL. Symptomatic xanthogranuloma of choroid plexus with unilateral hydrocephalus: Case report. J Neurosurg. 1991; 75:324-7.
11. Gaskill SJJ, Saldiar V, Rutman J, Marlin AE. Giant bilateral xanthogranulomas in a child: case report. Neurosurg. 1992; 31:114-7.
12. Hicks MJ, Albrecht S, Trask T, Byrne ME, Narayan RK, Goodman JC. Symptomatic choroid plexus xanthogranuloma of the lateral ventricle. Clin Neuropathol. 1993; 12:92-6.
13. Mendez-Martinez OE, Luzardo-Small GD, Cardozo-Duron JJ. Symptomatic bilateral xanthogranulomas of choroid plexus in a child. Br J Neurosurg. 2000; 14:62-4.
14. Stern F, Levy F.Ueber eine cholesterinhaltige Geschwulst am plexus chorioideus ventriculi III. Virchow’s Arch Pathol Anat. 1917; 223:272-80.
15. Jaer O, Loken AC, Nesbakken R. Hydrocephalus due to xanthogranuloma: case report. J Neurosurg. 1979; 51:565-8.
16. Shuangshoti S, Phonprasert C, Suwanwela N, Netsky MG. Combined neuroepithelial (colloid) cyst and xanthogranuloma (xanthoma) in the third ventricle. Neurology. 1975; 25:547-52.
17. Rush JL, Kusske JA, Porter RW, Pribran HW. Xanthogranuloma of the third ventricle: case report. J Neurosurg. 1979; 4:329-33.
18. Szper I, Oi S, Leestma J, Kim KS, Wetzel NE. Xanthogranuloma of the third ventricle producing hydrocephalus. Neurosurgery. 1979; 51:565-8.
19. Godersky J, Rockswold G, Larson DA. Xanthogranuloma of the third ventricle producing hydrocephalus. Neurosurgery. 1980; 7:68-70.
20. Antunes L, Kvam D, Ganti SR, Louis KM, Goodman J. Mixed colloid cysts-xanthogranulomas of the third ventricle. Surg Neurol. 1981; 16:256-61.
21. Gherardi R, Ngugen JP, Gaston A, Poirier J. Symptomatic xanthogranuloma of the third ventricle: a clinicopathological report. Eur Neurol. 1984; 23:156-62.
22. Hadfield MG, Ghatak NR, Wanger GP. Xanthogranulomatous colloid cyst of the third ventricle. Acta Neuropathol. 1985; 66:343-6.
23. Matsushimo T, Fukui M, Kitamura K, Soejima T, Ohta M, Okano H. Mixed colloid cyst-xanthogranuloma of the third ventricle: a light and electron microscopic study. Surg Neurol. 1985; 24:457-62.
24. Razavi-Encha F, Gray F, Gaston A, Gherardi R, Caron JP, Poirier J. Symptomatic xantrogranuloma of the choroid plexus of the third ventricle: a new case with ultrastructural study. Surg Neurol. 1987; 27:569-74.
25. Montaldi S, Deruaz J, Cai Z, de Tribolet N. Symptomatic xanthogranuloma of the third ventricle: report of two cases and review of the literature. Surg Neurol. 1989; 32:200-5.
26. Wiot JG, Lukin RR, Tomsick TA. Xanthogranuloma of the third ventricle. Am J Neuroradiol. 1989; 10(Suppl 5): S5.
27. Hiran S, Jain S, Budhiraja A, Bhalla M. Colloid cyst xanthogranuloma of third ventricle: a case report. Neurol India. 1993; 41:117.
28. Tatter SB, Ogilvy CS, Golden JA, Ojemann RG, Louis DN. Third ventricular xanthogranuloma clinically and radiologically mimicking colloid cysts: report of two cases. J Neurosurg. 1994; 81:605-9.
29. Tomita H, Tamaki N, Korosue K, Kokunai T. Xanthogranuloma with massive hematoma in the third ventricle: case report. Neurosurgery. 1996; 39:591-4.
30. Knudesia S, Das S, Shankar SK, Santosh V, Reddy AK. Colloid cyst xanthogranuloma of the third ventricle: a case report. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 1996; 39:221-3.
31. Miranda P, Lobata RD, Ricoy JR, Lagaresy A, Ramos A. Xanthogranuloma of the choroid plexus of the third ventricle: case report and literature review. Neurocirugia. 2005; 16:517-22.
32. Wang PY, Hung TP, Huang KM, Lin SW, Yao YT. Xanthogranuloma of the fourth ventricle: a case report. J Formosan Med Assoc. 1985; 84:1386-90.
33. Tada M, Koiwa M, Chono Y, Nemoto M, Kashiwaba T, Abe H, Miyasaka K. Neuroepithelial (colloid) cyst of the cerebellar vermis containing a xanthogranuloma. Am J Neuroradiol. 1993; 14:951-3.
34. Blumer G. Bilateral cholesteatomatous endotheliomata of the choroid plexus. Johns Hophins Hosp Rep.1900; 9:270-90.
35. Shuangshoti S, Netsky MG. Xanthogranuloma (xanthoma) of choroid plexus: the origin of foamy (xanthoma) cells. Am J Pathol. 1966; 48:503-33.
36. Ayres WW, Haymaker W. Xanthoma and cholesterol granuloma of the choroid phexus: report of a pathological aspects in 29 cases. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 1960; 19:280-95.
37. Wolf A, Cowen D, Graham S. Xanthomas of the choroid plexus in man. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 1950; 9: 286-97.
38. Shuangshoti S, Netsky MG. Human chosroid plexus: morphologic and histochemical alteration with age. Am J Anat. 1970; 128:73-96.
39. Shuangshoti S, Tangchai P. Neuropathology. Bangkok:Thai Watanapanich Press, 1976; p. 54-123 (also see p. 54-61).
40. Shuangshoti S. Increased intracranial pressure and its effects. Bulletin Lampang Hosp. 1983; 4:39-57.
41. Ironside JW, Pickard JD. Increased intracranial pressure, oedema and hydrocephalus. In: Graham D, Lantos P, editors. Greenfield’s Neuropathology. Vol. I, 7th ed. London:Arnold, 2002; p. 193-225.
42. Vinters HV, Kleinschmidt-Dedmasters BK. General pathology of the central nervous system. In: Love s, Louis DN, Ellison DW, editors. Greenfield’s Neuropathology. Vol. I, 8th ed. London:Hodder Arnold, 2008; p. 1-62.