. Therapeutic use of heparin beyond anticoagu- lation. Current Drug Discovery Technologies 2009, 6, 4, 281-289
10. Young E. The anti-inflammatory effects of heparin and related compounds. Thrombosis Research, vol. 122, no. 6, pp. 743-752, 2008.
11. Respondek-Liberska M, Sokołowski Ł, Słodki M, Zych-Krekora K, Strzelecka I, Krekora M, Maroszyńska I, Moll J, Moll J. Prenatal diagnosis of TAPVC on Monday, delivery of Tuesday and cardiac surgery at Wednsday - a model of perinatal care in 3rd trimester in case of fetal/neonatal critical heart defect
Katarzyna Pośpiech-Gąsior, Maciej Słodki and Maria Respondek-Liberska
1. Cantrell JR, Haller JA, Ravitch MM. A syndrome of congenital defects involving the abdominal wall, sternum, diaphragm, pericardium, and heart. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1958;107:602–614.
2. Desselle C, Herve P, Toutain A, Lardy H, Sembely C, Perrotin F. Pentalogy of Cantrell: sonographic assessment. J Clin Ultrasound. 2007;35:216–220.
3. Khoury MJ, Cordero JF, Rasmussen S. Ectopia cordis, midline defects and chromosome abnormalities: an epidemiologic perspective. Am J Med Genet. 1988;30:811–817.
4. Respondek-Liberska M, Janiak K
, 89 (4): 251-6
24. Coceani F et al.: Deletion of the endothelin-A-receptor suppresses oxygeninduced constriction but not postnatal closure of the ductus arteriosus. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol, 2000. 36 (5 Suppl 1): S75-7
25. Baragatti B, et al.: Cytochrome P-450 3A13 and endothelin jointly mediate ductus arteriosus constriction to oxygen in mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2011, 300 (3): H892-901
26. Momma KT, Nakanishi and Imamura S. .: Inhibition of in vivo constriction of fetal ductus arteriosus by endothelin
76(6): 1222-1229, 2002.
14. Frattola L, Canal N, Andreoli VM, Maffei F, Tonon GC. Lipid changes in neurogenic muscular atrophies. Research in experimental medicine 164(3): 241-246, 1974.
15. Julien C, Berthiaume L, Hadj-Tahar A, et al. Postmortem brain fatty acid profile of levodopa-treated Parkinson disease patients and parkinsonian monkeys. Neurochem Int 48(5): 404-414, 2006.
16. Hamlat N, Forcheron F, Negazzi S, et al. Lipogenesis in arterial wall and vascular smooth muscular cells: regulation and abnormalities in insulin
artery Doppler measurement; amniotic fluid volume, and fetalheart rate monitoring) may facilitate the identification of SGA due to placental insufficiency. Indeed, Karaman et al . described a putative association between the uterine artery pulsatility index and elastographic indices of the placenta. 30
Another limitation of this study is that strain elastography requires manual compression with the examiner’s hands, although it has been reported that reproducible data can be obtained when a single examiner conducts the examination. 31 Furthermore, only placentas
Henu Kumar Verma, Saikrishna Lakkakula and Bhaskar V.K.S. Lakkakula
patients [ 10 ]. Further, these patients – in younger age – have increased susceptibility to infections, acute chest syndrome, and stroke, while – in older age – they are susceptible to retinopathy, as well as damage to the lungs, kidney, and heart [ 11 , 12 ]. In addition to VOC, sickle cell patients experience sequestration crisis (pooling of blood in an organ), aplastic crisis (reduced function of bone marrow), and hemolytic crisis (rapid breakdown of blood cells). Presence of high levels of fetal hemoglobin (HbF) inhibits polymerization in SCA patients, highlighting
Congenital abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA), a rare condition in neonates, is usually associated with umbilical artery catheterization [ 1 , 2 ] or other conditions such as congenital heart or aortic malformation, infection (mycotic aneurysm) [ 3 , 4 ], connective tissue diseases (Marfan syndrome, Ehlers–Danlos syndrome, Loeys–Dietz syndrome) [ 5 , 6 ], or vasculitis (Takayasu’s disease, Kawasaki syndrome) [ 7 ]. An idiopathic congenital AAA is extremely rare. We report a case of idiopathic congenital AAA consisting of multiple lesions in a Thai neonate born
Ramazan Yildiz, Mahmut Ok, Merve Ider, Ugur Aydogdu, Amir Naseri, Kurtulus Parlak and Erdem Gulersoy
, and the cause of the abnormality is found to be the presence of homozygous recessive alleles of the defective gene for atresia coli ( 5 , 28 ). Vascular insufficiency of the developing colon in calves and diagnosis during early pregnancy in cattle by amniotic palpation may damage the foetal intestinal blood supply and disrupt organogenesis, thereby increasing the risk of atresia coli ( 5 ).
Mechanical obstructions are a result of abnormalities in the bowel lumen, intestinal wall, or outside the intestinal tract. Congenital intestinal obstructions in calves, such
Piero Portincasa, Emilio Molina-Molina, Gabriella Garruti and David Q.-H. Wang
surface (b), multiple stones (c). The cut surface is shown with a brownish centre and radial disposition of cholesterol monohydrate crystals (d). Pure pigment stones are shown as debris (e). Mixed stones are shown as multifaceted concernments (f). Note that the black pigment surface and the inner centre are made of a small amount of solid cholesterol crystals (arrow) Black horizontal line=1 cm.
The rising prevalence and incidence of cholesterol gallstones parallel the concomitant rise of several metabolic abnormalities, such as insulin resistance and type 2
Xue Peng, Can Wei, Hong-Zhu Li, Hong-Xia Li, Shu-Zhi Bai, Li-Na Wang, Yu-Hui Xi, Jin Yan and Chang-Qing Xu
The hypoxic pulmonary hypertension (HPAH) is a clinical syndrome caused from increasing pulmonary vascular resistance, which can cause serious impairment of heart and lung function. Hypoxic pulmonary vascular remodeling (HPVR) is an important pathologic basis, but the exact mechanisms have not been fully elucidated. The abnormal proliferation of pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cells (PASMCs) play an important role during this process. Our previous study have found that phenotypic modulation of PASMCs is a key step in initiating HPVR, but the