Savelina L. Popovska, Ivan N. Ivanov and Dorian Y. Dikov
1. Bear HD. Indication for neoadjuvantchemotherapy for breast cancer. Semin Oncol. 1998; 25(2 Suppl3):3-12.
2. Botti C,Vici P, Lopez M, Scinto AF, Cognetti F, Cavaliere R. Prognotic value of lymph node metastasis after neoadjuvantchemotherapy for large-sized operable carcinoma of the breast. J Am CollSurg. 1995; 181 (3):202-208.
3. Kuerer HM, Newman LA, Buzdar AU, Hunt KK, Dhingra K, Buchholz TA, et al. Residual metastatic axillary lymph nodes following neoadjuvantchemotherapy predict disease
Erik Škof, Sebastjan Merlo, Gasper Pilko and Borut Kobal
, extensive peritonectomy, etc.) 2 , which increase morbidity of patients.
Not all patients are candidates for primary surgery, either due to extend of their disease (unlikely to achieve no residual disease) or due to poor general condition (too ill to undergo an extensive operation). In this situation patients are treated with initial (neoadjuvant) chemotherapy, typically a combination of a platinum-based drug and a taxane. 3 Patients, who are treated with neoadjuvantchemotherapy, are more likely to undergo surgery with no residual disease than patients with primary
Alberto Bouzón, Benigno Acea, Rafaela Soler, Ángela Iglesias, Paz Santiago, Joaquín Mosquera, Lourdes Calvo, Teresa Seoane-Pillado and Alejandra García
Neoadjuvantchemotherapy (NAC) has been used in the management of large operable breast tumours with the purpose of modifying the surgical planning and increase the rate of breast conservative surgery (BCS). 1 – 6 Currently, NAC has been extended to selected patients with early-stage disease to improve the cosmetic outcome of BCS, especially in women with small breast size. 7 – 9 NAC has proved to be equivalent to postoperative chemotherapy in terms of disease-free and overall survival. 10 – 12 However, in the neoadjuvant setting, there is
Nikola Besic, Marta Dremelj, Andreja Schwartzbartl-Pevec and Barbara Gazic
. Insular carcinoma: a distinct thyroid carcinoma with associated iodine-131 localization. J Nucl Med 1991; 32: 1358-63.
12. Besic N, Auersperg M, Dremelj M, Vidergar-Kralj B, Gazic B. Neoadjuvantchemotherapy in 16 patients with locally advanced papillary thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 2013; 23: 178-84.
13. Besic N, Auersperg M, Gazic B, Dremelj M, Zagar I. Neoadjuvantchemotherapy in 29 patients with locally advanced follicular or Hürthle cell thyroid carcinoma: a phase 2 study. Thyroid 2012; 22: 131-7.
14. Sobin LH, Gospodarowitz MK, Witekind
Borut Kobal, Marco Noventa, Branko Cvjeticanin, Matija Barbic, Leon Meglic, Marusa Herzog, Giulia Bordi, Amerigo Vitagliano, Carlo Saccardi and Erik Skof
in evaluating the feasibility of a successful PDS; at this regard recent prospective studies demonstrated a good accuracy of laparoscopic score in predicting residual disease after PDS. 7 However, randomized trials are mandatory to confirm these encouraging results.
For patients in whom a complete cytoreduction during primary surgery is not expected, neoadjuvantchemotherapy (NACT) followed by interval debulking surgery (IDS) is considered the most appropriate therapeutic option. 2 , 8 Recent studies demonstrated that such strategy allows higher rate of
Baiba Līcīte, Arvīds Irmejs, Jeļena Maksimenko, Pēteris Loža, Genādijs Trofimovičs, Edvīns Miklaševičs, Jurijs Nazarovs, Māra Romanovska, Justīne Deičmane, Gunta Purkalne and Jānis Gardovskis
Akay, C. L., Albarracin, C., Torstenson, T., Bassett, R., Mittendorf, E. A., Yi, M., Kuerer, H. M., Babiera, G. V., Bedrosian, I., Hunt, K. K., Hwang, R. F. (2018). Factors impacting the accuracy of intra-operative evaluation of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer. Breast J. , 24 (1), 28–34.
Baumgartner, A., Tausch, C., Hosch, S., Papassotiropoulos, B., Varga, Z., Rageth, C., Baege, A. (2018). Ultrasound-based prediction of pathologic response to neoadjuvantchemotherapy in breast cancer patients. Breast , 39 , 19–23.
Alessandro Tuzi, Davide Lombardi, Diana Crivellari, Loredana Militello, Tiziana Perin, Manuela La Grassa, Samuele Massarut and Andrea Veronesi
days as preoperative treatment in operable breast cancer: the GEPARDUO study of the German Breast Group. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 2676-85.
11. Cheang MCU, Chia SK, Voduc D, Gao D, Leung S, Snider J, et al. Ki67 index, HER2 status, and prognosis of patients with luminal B breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 2009; 101: 736-50.
12. Kim SI, Sohn J, Koo JS, Park SH, Park HS, Park BW. Molecular subtypes and tumor response to neoadjuvantchemotherapy in patients with locally advanced breast cancer. Oncology 2010; 79: 324
Danijela Golo, Jasna But-Hadzic, Franc Anderluh, Erik Brecelj, Ibrahim Edhemovic, Ana Jeromen, Mirko Omejc, Irena Oblak, Ajra Secerov-Ermenc and Vaneja Velenik
-defined, high-risk, locally advanced rectal cancer treated with an intensified neoadjuvant strategy in the randomized phase 2 EXPERT-C Trial Int J Radiat Oncol 2015 93 303 12 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2015.03.038
17 Sclafani F, Brown G, Cunningham D, Wotherspoon A, Tait D, Peckitt C, et al. PAN-EX: a pooled analysis of two trials of neoadjuvantchemotherapy followed by chemoradiotherapy in MRI-defined, locally advanced rectal cancer. Ann Oncol 2016; 27 : 1557-65. 10.1093/annonc/mdw215 Sclafani F Brown G Cunningham D Wotherspoon A Tait D Peckitt C PAN-EX: a pooled analysis of two
Goran Kondov, Simonida Crvenova, Zoran Spirovski, Trajanka Trajkovska, Sashko Jovev, Irena Kondova-Topuzovska, Natasha Tolevska and Borislav Kondov
Chemotherapy Does Not Increase Complications After Nonsmall Cell Lung Cancer Resection. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;80:423-427.
11. Martin J, Ginsberg RJ, Abolhoda A, Bains MS, Downey RJ, Korst RJ, Weigel TL, Kris MG, Venkatraman ES, Rusch VW. Morbidity and mortality after neoadjuvant therapy for lung cancer: the risks of right pneumonectomy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2001;72(4):1149-54.
12. Stolz AJ, Schützner J, Harustiak T, Lischke R, Simonek J, Pafko P. [Impact of neoadjuvantchemotherapy on postoperative complications following neumonectomy].Rozhl Chir
Ana Cvetanović, Slađana Filipović, Nikola Živković, Miloš Kostić, Svetislav Vrbić and Ivica Pejčić
17. Denkert C, Loibl S, Noske A et al. Tumor-associated lymphocytes as an independent predictor of response to neoadjuvantchemotherapy in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2010; 28: 105-13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.23.7370
18. Apetoh L, Ghiringhelli F, Tesniere A et al. Tolllike receptor 4-dependent contribution of the immune system to anticancer chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Nat Med 2007; 13: 1050-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nm1622
19. Desmedt C, Haibe-Kains B, Wirapati P et al. Biological processes associated with breast