Rositsa V. Sandeva, Stanislava M. Mihaylova and Gergana N. Sandeva
1. Kojima M, Hosoda H, Date Y. Ghrelin is a growth-hormonereleasing acylated peptide from stomach. Nature.1999;402:656-60.
2. Wren AM, Small CJ, Abbott CR, Dhillo WS, Seal LJ, Cohen MA et al. Ghrelin causes hyperphagia and obesity in rats. Diabetes. 2001;50:2540-7.
3. Smith-Kirwin SM, O'Connor DM, De Johnston J, Lancey ED, Hassink SG, Funanage VL. Leptin expression in human mammary epithelial cells and breast milk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998;83(5):1810-3.
4. Kojima M, Kangawa K. Ghrelin: structure and function. Physiol Rev
Arleta Malecha-Jedraszek, Agata Burska, Beata Matyjaszek-Matuszek and Helena Donica
1. Anderlová K. et. al.: The influence of very-low-calorie-diet on serum leptin, soluble leptin receptor, adiponectin and resistin levels in obese women. Physiol. Res., 55(3), 277, 2006.
2. Bays H.E.: Adiposopathy is “sick fat” a cardiovascular disease? J. Am. Coll. Cardiol., 57(25), 2461, 2011.
3. Blüher M., Mantzoros C.S.: From leptin to other adipokines in health and disease: facts and expectations at the beginning of the 21st century. Metabolism, 64(1), 131, 2015.
4. Chen G.C., Qin
Buff P.R., Dodds A.C., Morrison C.D., Whitley N.C., Mc Fadin E.L., Daniel J.A., Djiane J., Keisler D.H. (2002). Leptin in horses: Tissue localization and relationship between peripheral concentrations of leptin and body condition. J. Anim. Sci., 80: 2942-2948.
Buff P.R., Morrison C.D., Ganjam V.K., Keisler D.H. (2005). Effects of short-term feed deprivation and melatonin implants on circadian patterns of leptin in the horse. J. Anim. Sci., 83: 1023-1032.
Cartmill J.A., Thompson Jr D.L., Gentry L
Fethi Ben Slama, Nahawand Jridi, Mohamed Chiheb Ben Rayana, Abdelmagid Trimeche, Mohamed Hsairi and Omrane Belhadj
prevalence of obesity [ 6 ]. The National Survey effect of Nutrition conducted in 1996-1997 showed that the overall prevalence of obesity in Tunisia is in the order of 14% with a female predominance [ 6 ]. The discovery of leptin in 1994 and ghrelin in 1999 increased understanding the pathophysiology of obesity and provided new opportunities for the treatment and fight against this disease [ 7 - 9 ]. Indeed, these two hormones, with their opposing properties, play a crucial role in regulating body weight and energy balance. The adipokine leptin is synthesized by adipose
Snezhana Palchevska, Marija Krstevska, Elena Shukarova, Natasha Aluloska, Marija Jakimoska, Dragoslav Kocevski and Mirjana Kocova
, vanWeissenbruch MM, Twisk JW & Delemarre- Van de Waal HA. Infant and childhood growth patterns, insulin sensitivity, and blood pressure in prematurely born young adults. Pediatrics. 2008;122:313-321.
5. Campfield LA, Smith FJ Campfield LA, Smith FJ, Guisez Y, Devos R, Burn P. Recombinant mouse OB protein: evidence for a peripheral signal linking adiposity and central neural network. Science. 1995;269:546-9.
6. Salbe AD, Nicolson M, Ravussin E. Total energy expenditure and the level of physical activity correlate with plasma leptin concentrations
Sutharinee Likitnukul, Sarinee Kalandakanond-Thongsong and Sumpun Thammacharoen
White adipose tissue is considered the major leptin-secreting organ. The mechanisms regulating leptin production and secretion are complex and depend on multiple factors. Plasma leptin is well correlated with fat mass in both lean and obese animals [ 1 , 2 ]. Plasma leptin and its pattern have been investigated in many animals, including laboratory rodents and humans [ 3 , 4 , 5 ]. In adult rats, plasma leptin shows basal level without peak in light period [ 4 , 6 , 7 ]. This plasma leptin level could be influenced mainly by nutritional status (i
Katarzyna Kirsz, Małgorzata Szczęsna, Anna Borsuk and Dorota A. Zięba
Adam C.L., Findlay P.A., Miller D.W. (2006). Blood-brain leptin transport and appetite and reproductive neuroendocrine responses to intracerebroventricular leptin injection in sheep: influence of photoperiod. Endocrinology, 147: 4589-4598.
Ahima R.S., Flier J.S. (2000). Leptin. Annu. Rev. Physiol., 62: 413-437.
Anukulkitch C., Rao A., Dunshea F.R., Blache D., Lincoln G.A., Clarke I.J. (2007). Influence of photoperiod and gonadal status on food intake, adiposity, and gene expression of hypothalamic
Chiranjib Chakraborty, Saptarshi Banerjee, Kankana Banerjee, Minna J. Hsu and Govindasamy Agoramoorthy
mechanisms and drug targets. Ann Rev Pharm Toxicol. 2005; 45:605-28.
8. Callewaert N, Van Vlierberghe H, Van Hecke A, Laroy W, Delanghe J, Contreras R. Noninvasive diagnosis of liver cirrhosis using DNA sequencer-based total serum protein glycomics. Nat Med. 2004; 10:429-34.
9. Pinzani M, Rombouts K. Liver fibrosis: from the bench to clinical targets. Dig Liver Dis. 2004; 36:231-42.
10. Henriksen JH, Holst JJ, Moller S, Brinch K, Bendtsen F. Increased circulating leptin in alcoholic cirrhosis: relation to release and disposal
K. Jecminkova, J. Kyselova, A. Said Ahmed, L. Zavadilova, V. Matlova and I. Majzlik
Banos G, Woolliams JA, Woodward BW, Forbes AB, Coffey MP (2008): Impact of single nucleotide polymorphisms in leptin, leptin receptor, growth hormone receptor, and diacylglycerol acyltransferase (DGAT1) gene loci on milk production, feed, and body energy traits of UK dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science, 91, 3190–3200. doi: 10.3168/jds.2007-0930.
Brickell JS, Pollott GE, Clempson AM, Otter N, Wathes DC (2010): Polymorphisms in the bovine leptin gene associated with perinatal mortality in Holstein-Friesian heifers. Journal of Dairy Science
Daniela Iv. Koleva, Maria M. Orbetzova, Julia G. Nikolova and Tanya I. Deneva
-aterogenic potential. In: Frank S, Kostner G, editors. Lipoproteins – role in health and diseases. Rijeka: InTech Janeza Trdine; 2012: 862-700.
12. Friedman JM, Halaas JL. Leptin and the regulation of body weight in mammals. Nature 1998;395:763-70.
13. Beltowski J. Leptin and atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis 2006;189:47-60.
14. Beltowski J. Role of leptin in blood pressure regulation and arterial hypertension. J Hypertens 2006;24:789-801.
15. Hall JE, da Silva AA, do Carmo JM, et al. Obesity-induced hypertension: role of sympathetic nervous system, leptin