Ovidiu Horea Bedreag, Alexandru Florin Rogobete, Loredana Luca, Claudiu Neamtu, Dorian Mihai Dragulescu, Radu Nartita and Marius Papurica
aureus (MRSA) with ciprofloxacin. Am J Infect Control. 1989;17:117.
45. Chang Y-Y, Chuang Y-C, Siu LK, et al. Clinical features of patients with carbapenem nonsusceptible Klebsiella pneumoniae and Escherichia coli in intensivecareunits: a nationwide multicenter study in Taiwan. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2015;48:219-225.
46. Jana M, Misra AK. Synthesis of trisaccharide and a tetrasaccharide repeating unit corresponding to the O-antigen of Shiga toxin producing Escherichia coli O177. Tetrahedron. 2015;71:3960-3965.
Hedgar Berty Gutiérrez, Yenisey Arteaga Concepción, Jorge Soneira Pérez, Yanín Díaz Lara, Félix Mario Rivero López and Pedro Rosales Contreras
is to determine the prognostic value of serum lactate in patients admitted to the ICU.
Materials and methods
A cohort, observational, prospective study was carried out in the IntensiveCareUnit (ICU) of the General Hospital, Havana, Cuba between October 1, 2016, and October 1, 2017. The study was approved by the hospital’s Scientific Council and the Ethics Committee. Prior to data collection, written informed consent was obtained from patients and family members.
All patients older than 18 years who presented with manifestations of
-discharge insomnia symptoms are associated with quality of life impairment among survivors of acute lung injury. Sleep Med 2012; 13: 1106-1109. doi: 10.1016/j.sleep.2012.05.010
13. Parthasarathy S, Tobin MJ. Sleep in the intensivecareunit. Intensive Care Med 2004; 30: 197-206. doi: 10.1007/s00134-003-2030-6
14. Boyko Y, Ørding H, Jennum P. Sleep disturbances in critically ill patients in ICU: how much do we know? Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2012; 56: 950-958. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-6576.2012.02672.x
15. Cooper AB, Thornley KS, Young GB
Meng Yue, Zhan-Ying Ma, Meng-Jie Lei, Chu-Yun Cui and Yi Jin
Mechanical ventilation (MV) is a life-support therapy that improves anoxia, carbon dioxide retention, and acid–base equilibrium. Due to the focus on stabilization of life-threatening pathophysiologic changes, little attention has been paid to neuromuscular and long-term cognitive function in such critically ill patients. 1 Mechanically ventilated patients develop intensivecareunit-acquired weakness (ICUAW) as a result of their immobility and sedative administration. 2 , 3 As the main clinical sign of critical illness neuromyopathy, ICUAW is
Anucha Thatrimontrichai, Prasin Chanvitan, Waricha Janjindamai, Supaporn Dissaneevate, Ann Jefferies and Vibhuti Shah
, Hsu CH, Hung HY, et al. Neonatal sepsis in the neonatal intensivecareunit: characteristics of early versus late onset. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2004; 37:301-6.
19. Wu JH, Chen CY, Tsao PN, Hsieh WS, Chou HC. Neonatal sepsis: a 6-year analysis in a neonatal care unit in Taiwan. Pediatr Neonatol. 2009; 50:88-95.
20. Gill CJ, Mantaring JB, Macleod WB, Mendoza M, Mendoza S, Huskins WC, et al. Impact of enhanced infection control at 2 neonatal intensivecareunits in the Philippines. Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 48:13-21.
Use of transcranial Doppler has undergone much development since its introduction in 1982, making the technique suitable for general use in intensive care units. The main application in intensive care units is to assess intracranial pressure, confirm the lack of cerebral circulation in brain death, detect vasospasm in subarachnoid haemorrhage, and monitor the blood flow parameters during thrombolysis and carotid endarterectomy, as well as measuring stenosis of the main intracranial arteries in sickle cell disease in children. This review summarises the use of transcranial Doppler in intensive care units.
Aleksandar Cvetkovic, Marko Spasic, Mladen Pavlovic, Danijela Cvetkovic, Bojan Stojanovic, Srdjan Ninkovic, Jasna Jevdjic, Dragan Canovic and Bojan Milosevic
25. Faleck DM, Salmasian H, Furuya EY, Larson EL, Abrams JA, Freedberg DE. Proton pump inhibitors do not affect risk for Clostridium difficile infection in the intensivecareunit. The American journal of gastroenterology. 2016;111(11):1641-1648. doi:10.1038/ajg.2016.343. 10.1038/ajg.2016.343
26. Barletta JF, Sclar DA. Proton pump inhibitors increase the risk for hospital-acquired Clostridium difficile infection in critically ill patients. Critical Care. 2014;18(6):714. doi:10.1186/s13054-014-0714-7. 10.1186/s13054-014-0714-7
27. Freedberg DE
1. LIU D., LIAN H., WANG J., LI X., ZHAO Q., YOU Q. Efficacy of early bundle therapy on moderate to severe aspiration pneumonia after cervical esophagogastrostomy for esophageal cancer. Minerva Medica 2015; 106 (2):79-86.
2. MATHI AS., PHILLIPS A., ISAAC R. Ventilator-associated pneumonia: A persistent healthcare problem in Indian IntensiveCareUnits! Lung India 2016; 33 (5):512-6.
3. CLAVEL M., BARRAUD O., MOUCADEL V., MEYNER F., KARAM E., PLOY M.C. et al. Molecular quantification of bacteria from respiratory samples in
Sebastian Trancă, Cristina Petrișor, Natalia Hagău and Constantin Ciuce
1. Balci C, Sungurtekin H, Gürses E, Sungurtekin U, Kaptanoglu B. Usefulness of procalcitonin for diagnosis of sepsis in the intensivecareunit. Crit Care. 2003;7:85-90.
2. Adams CA. Sepsis Biomarkers in Polytrauma Patients. Crit Care Clin. 2011;27:345-54.
3. Kibe S, Adams K, Barlow G. Diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers of sepsis in critical care. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011;66:33-40.
4. Castelli GP, Pognani C, Meisner M, Stuani A, Bellomi D, Sgarbi L. Procalcitonin and C
Dorota Ozga, Beata Dobrowolska, Aleksandra Gutysz-Wojnicka, Wioletta Mędrzycka-Dąbrowka and Anna Zdun
1. Benbenishty J, Biswas S. Cultural Competence in Critical Care: Case Studies in the ICU. Journal of Modern Education Review 2015; 5(7): 723–728.
2. Ozga D, Zdun A. Multicultural Care in European IntensiveCareUnits (MICE-ICU) - an international project for nurses working at ICUs. Anaesthesiological and Intensive Care Nursing [Pielęgniartstwo Anestezjologiczne i Intensywnej Opiek] 2017; 3(1): B1-B2 (in Polish).
3. Curwick K, Dutt T. et al. Cultural competence in acute and critical care medicine literature review and